WONDERS of LIFE - Our next 20K? The future? (The Next Call to Arms)

What should be preserved at Wonders? READ POST FIRST. Check all that apply.

• Total voters

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
Sad, sad news. . .

WoL was closed today, most likely tomorrow and the rest of the summer. It may be gone for good.

This may be truly another tragedy. *sigh*

Ah heck. I was planning on seeing it around this time next year. That sucks. I never got to give it a proper farewell.

General Grizz

Original Poster
We're not going to let Disney's bad judgement ruin the grandeur of Wonders of Life. A tribute video I took about a year ago will be edited and be available here shortly.

TinkerBell9988

:cry: :cry: :cry:

:mad:

I was so excited at the fact that WoL may have been open when I will visit next week, but now.... uuughhhh... I'm going to break in there myself, and watch Goofy About Health... I know I can't do that, but I really don't want anything to happen to this pavillion other than a really nice rehab.

As everyone else has been saying, especially Grizz, WoL should stay in EPCOT, but some things need to be changed inside. I feel like the only one saying this, but I really don't mind the 1980's-style color/shape theme inside the pavillion. It brings back such a nostalgic memory for me. And yes, I do remember (but I was very young!) when Body Wars had OVER and hour wait time, and when my dad got sick on it :lol: .

I LOVE the atmosphere of the pavillion, and I believe that with (a) new sponsor(s), a few good attractions, some updates to the already-existing, almost-extinct attractions, good restaurants with yummy food (and good nutrition :animwink: ), this pavillion can be brought back to its original glory as the perfect family-oriented attraction, with an updated theme.

Everybody's ideas are just great, I am just scared to see what will happen to Wonders of Life in the future...

dxwwf3

General Grizz said:
We're not going to let Disney's bad judgement ruin the grandeur of Wonders of Life. A tribute video I took about a year ago will be edited and be available here shortly.

Well that is definately wonderful news. I love tribute videos. I wish that the video restrictions were not so strict at Alien Encounter so we could have had a better quality tribute video, but that wasn't in the cards. I'm sure your video will be wonderful, as are Martin's tribute videos.

ToTBellHop

This isn't necessarily a bad thing...closed for good means they will change it, hopefully into a new pavillion with the same theme and set up. I'm pretty sure that's what all of us have been asking for in this thread, something that we knew would involve an eventual closure. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner these changes occur, the better. That pavillion was doing no one any good by being closed months on end, and even when it was open, it was in a sad, sad state. Provided it won't just sit there an stagnate for several years now, I'm fine with the closing. I think we have all come to grips with the fact that when rides or attractions go seasonal, they are usually on their way out...for better or for worse, I'm sure the closures are soon to head to Tomorrowland...

dxwwf3

ISTCNavigator57 said:
This isn't necessarily a bad thing...closed for good means they will change it, hopefully into a new pavillion with the same theme and set up. I'm pretty sure that's what all of us have been asking for in this thread, something that we knew would involve an eventual closure. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner these changes occur, the better. That pavillion was doing no one any good by being closed months on end, and even when it was open, it was in a sad, sad state. Provided it won't just sit there an stagnate for several years now, I'm fine with the closing. I think we have all come to grips with the fact that when rides or attractions go seasonal, they are usually on their way out...for better or for worse, I'm sure the closures are soon to head to Tomorrowland...

I guess you are right. I do hope they decide to actually do something with the building and not just let it sit there closed. But you always hope to get to say goodbye to things though. I didn't see the closure coming the last time I was at WoL. But yes I do know that Disney can't rearrange their schedule just for me, but I still wish it had one more year of operation. That is just wishful thinking. But that's what these message boards are for.

And yes what might be the worst thing about this is the possible closures of CoP and Timekeeper might be right around the corner. I certainly dread these changes unless Disney can come up with something more exciting than bumper cars or meet and greets.

Miss Bell

When we were there a week before last, and Wonders of Life was shut down "seasonally," I knew that was the beginning of the end for it. It was the most crowded I have ever seen Epcot, why would they keep it shut, if they are not fixing to overhaul that area? They need something in that space to keep people occupied while they wait for their Fast Passes to Mission Space and Test Track to come up. I personally wouldn't mind if they updated Cranium Command, but I would hate to see it go for good. That has been one of my daughter's favorites for years.

I personally think they should address the Living Seas before they knock down WoL--even with the Nemo update, that is an area in need of serious re-vamp.

maxime29

Premium Member
WoL needs to stay around. EPCOT is losing too many of its "educational" type pavilions. Just give it a good refurbishment and an update to the Body Wars ride to whatever they wish (maybe find a new sponsor?).

I was disappointed myself when I found the pavilion closed during my trip. "Open seasonally" they say. I would have thought the mid summertime was the "season" to open it up.

NemoRocks78

Seized
General Grizz said:
Sad, sad news. . .

WoL was closed today, most likely tomorrow and the rest of the summer. It may be gone for good.

This may be truly another tragedy. *sigh*

:cry:

I was even thinking about heading up there at the end of this month just to see Cranium Command a final time.

General--a fanastic post once again. :D

I actually wasn't the biggest fan of the pavillion. I never liked Body Wars, always use to think it was boring. But Cranium Command--I loved that show. It had everything a Disney attraction should have. Now it's all a memory.... :(

I can remember the glorious early days of the place though, when it was full of energy and the peacefulness it's always had. My final visit to WoL came on Thanksgiving Day last year, if I'm not mistaken. Epcot was incredibly crowded--something I hadn't seen since the opening of Test Track. Mission: SPACE had a huge wait, TT and the other attractions did as well. We walked into Wonders of Life, only to find not a soul in sight. We walked directly onto Body Wars (and this is on the same day that TT and M:S, both next door, had waits exceeding 75 minutes). The showing of Cranium Command wasn't even half full. It was just terrible to see, I must say.

Let's just hope WDI has great plans for this pavilion. It has a ton of potential. :)

(I'm also sad to say I never took the chance to see "The Making of Me." :cry: :lol: :lookaroun )

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Refocus Grizzquest

I agree with a number of suggestions on this thread that ID a major pharm/healthcare company as a new sponsor. Instead of waiting for Disney, we can redirect some of our suggestions to Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson would be great assets.

Grizz, I think you have been dead on with most of your comments on this thread (as usual) but your drift to:

This - the "Mission Space Tragedy": http://img54.photobucket.com/albums...xx/P1010200.jpg - those who don't wish to ride simply wait outside. I see it every trip and it rips my heart.

...I don't quite get. There are similar lines outside of ToT or RnRC, or even HM, Dumbo, Peter Pan or IaSW for that matter. I don't think a ride that isn't for everyone is necessarily a tragedy.

MKCP 1985

I always used to ride Body Wars, each time I went to EPCOT Center. Even so, I don't miss it. "Go get the splinter - watch out for the white blood cells!" :dazzle: I very much like the idea of scrapping the simulator and building a real coaster in its place, expanding it out behind the pavilion into unused space going toward Mission:Space. It could be themed as racing to save a life, but the thrill would be the rush of the coaster and not so much the science. Think for a moment of Space Mountain. You get the theme of the attraction - space travel from Earth to, where, the moon? But once actually on board, most of the time you are just hanging on for dear life while images of the moon, earth, asteroids, whatever race by. Re-do Wonders of Life's E-ticket along the same lines, IMO.

Some of you may say, there goes MKCP again, always with the thrill rides, but EPCOT could really use a 21st centure technology roller coaster to make FAMILIES want to include a full day trip to EPCOT Center part of their multi-day pass investment. My 14 and 11 year olds were fine with the idea of going in the afternoon, hitting M:S, TT and grabbing a big meal before watching Illuminations and leaving, but they would have revolted at the thought of "being stuck there" from opening to close. Disney was going to put a Mt. Fuji roller coaster in Japan before getting into sponsor wars between Fuji film and Kodak, right? So this is not blasphemy, here.

The simulator rides, IMO, are not the future. Too much herky-jerky and not enough real sense of motion and excitement. Star Tours is on the same path as Body Wars - update or shut down. The Star Wars brand is what that attraction has going for it.

Cranium Command is lovely and should be saved. If all these pages are just letters blowing in the wind and the pavilion is to be closed permanently, then try and find some place for Cranium Command - maybe in Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland in the place of Timekeeper since that attraction seems to be struggling. Better to relocate than to be shut down completely. (I personally like TimeKeeper, but seem to be in the minority).

Oh, well. Nice thread, General Grizz. The waste of yet another entire pavilion (Horizons, Motion) in a 20 year old park is such a shame. :cry:

Lennyg512

I never thought the Wonders of Life was a good pavillion. I think that it should all be removed, and a new thrill ride should be put it.

*WOOO! 100 Posts of Magic for me!!!

General Grizz

Original Poster
WOW. I am *IMPRESSED* by all the heart-felt posts! I only hope Disney can read these and consider them. Perhaps you all should send your posts here to Disney! Anyone up to it??

ToTBellHop

I'm not sure it would do much to send these posts to Disney. They cannot read these posts with ideas for future attractions, so any such emails would be immediately deleted without reading a word. Disney doesn't wanna get sued for using someone else's idea. I'm sure they have good plans for this pavillion, it's only an issue of when.

KevinPage

General Grizz said:

Just make sure the video is not as herky jerky as Body Wars and not as boring as the whole pavillion :p :lol: :p :lol: :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom