Rumor Wonders of Life getting an attraction soon?

Kman101

When all else fails, lower your bar to the lowest common denominator.

Eh, I don't think that's fair when they're conditioning guests to expect the latest and most popular IP. You can also blame Universal for that too. There are different kinds of Disney fans whether we agree with it or not. Many of them want current IPs in the park. I'm a park fan first but I understand why the guest wants that. I get it. But they aren't made to understand why they may want something different.

They've done a poor job making the parks stand out and get across to guests what makes them unique.

raven

Eh, I don't think that's fair when they're conditioning guests to expect the latest and most popular IP. You can also blame Universal for that too. There are different kinds of Disney fans whether we agree with it or not. Many of them want current IPs in the park. I'm a park fan first but I understand why the guest wants that. I get it. But they aren't made to understand why they may want something different.

They've done a poor job making the parks stand out and get across to guests what makes them unique.
Well, Universal Studios was built around their movies. Epcot, DAK and MK (for the most part) were original in their concepts with little to do with Disney movies.

I just feel when you go to each Disney park you should have a different experience from the others. It used to be that way. Now it all just feels pretty much the same. Most of the popular Disney IP stores in the parks all sell the same merchandise as well. No more getting something unique at an attraction or park when you can just go to Disney Springs and get park mechandice without even setting foot in the parks.

EricsBiscuit

It's not bad when it's limited to one park but when you duplicate it to all the parks, it loses its charm and the parks start looking like the same thing to people. I've talked to people that "rode" the Dinosaur ride in MK or the Nemo ride in MK. Both of which don't exist. When I corrected them, their response is "Oh I thought since it was a Disney kids movie that it would be in MK".

I was an odd ball but I never really cared for MK at all. I'd rather see the latest tech or have my mind blown by some state of the art attraction instead of seeing Mickey (or any Disney character) shoved in my face. Originality is what keeps me (personally) interested. The second you stick a Disney character into to it (that's been jammed in front of me for 4 months thanks to marketing), I start to not care anymore.
Just because you use the same formula doesn't mean it's not original.
Not when it’s the MK.
I think you can successfully transplant that formula to any theme.

Kman101

Well, Universal Studios was built around their movies. Epcot, DAK and MK (for the most part) were original in their concepts with little to do with Disney movies.

I just feel when you go to each Disney park you should have a different experience from the others. It used to be that way. Now it all just feels pretty much the same. Most of the popular Disney IP stores in the parks all sell the same merchandise as well. No more getting something unique at an attraction or park when you can just go to Disney Springs and get park mechandice without even setting foot in the parks.

I get it. Kind of agreeing and saying that they do a lousy job making them unique and making the guests understand it. They used to truly promote their parks and do specials ... I can understand them all blurring together for some, but how long did they spend telling us in ads that it's more or less one big mega park LOL. I mean watching some past ads for the parks you'd never know there were four parks, so I get the complaint they're all the same.

But what is Disney supposed to do? Just ignore their popular movies while guests whine at them? (And no, I don't agree they should shove them in anywhere "just because", either) Then they'd be criticized for not doing anything with a popular IP, so they kind of can't win here. I don't like that they feel they have to add a character/IP to everything but that's what they and Universal have conditioned their guests to expect.

lazyboy97o

But what is Disney supposed to do? Just ignore their popular movies while guests whine at them? (And no, I don't agree they should shove them in anywhere "just because", either) Then they'd be criticized for not doing anything with a popular IP, so they kind of can't win here. I don't like that they feel they have to add a character/IP to everything but that's what they and Universal have conditioned their guests to expect.
People don’t complain that Mickey Mouse isn’t in Frozen.

peter11435

I don't agree that's the same at all, but OK.
The point is that something new does not and should not need to reference something existing to be considered Disney. Nothing in Frozen was Disney before they made it. If the public can accept a new original film as something Disney and beloved why couldn’t the same principle apply to a theme park land or attraction. Not everything should be self referential.

brb1006

Am I the only one that ever thought Buzzy's voice sounded drastically different between the pre-show and the actual show? I always thought the pre-show Buzzy voice sounded more cartoony/comedic while the actual show Buzzy's voice sounded like... Well, a little kid.
Or the fact that pre-show Buzzy had black cartoony eyes but in the show he has pupils.

Kman101

The point is that something new does not and should not need to reference something existing to be considered Disney. Nothing in Frozen was Disney before they made it. If the public can accept a new original film as something Disney and beloved why couldn’t the same principle apply to a theme park land or attraction. Not everything should be self referential.

And I agree with that point, all of it. I wasn't trying to argue that it made sense or that I agree with it. Just pointing out it exists and what they seem to be going with. I still don't quite agree with the Mickey comparison but I understand the overall point being made.

peter11435

And I agree with that point, all of it. I wasn't trying to argue that it made sense or that I agree with it. Just pointing out it exists and what they seem to be going with. I still don't quite agree with the Mickey comparison but I understand the overall point being made.
They are going with it because it is the safe and lazy option. Less risk.

You’re taking the Mickey reference too literally.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

The big difference between "then" and "now" is that Disney had people who could come up with new concepts beyond the Disney movies. That is what Epcot so much better than any other park in its heyday. Joe Rohde ran the table in new concepts at DAK, and it seems like that was it. Now they fall back on the proven IP transplant, and the charm we once new has gone. I wonder what Spaceship Earth with IP will look life...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Eh, I don't think that's fair when they're conditioning guests to expect the latest and most popular IP..
No, it’s not fair when they’re going in the wrong park. They have two other parks for that very reason, one of which still needs more help.

But, it’s happening. Only a highly unlikely landslide change of management will stop it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom