Woman Tried To Bring Loaded Gun, Knife Into Disney's Magic Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

duck_daddy

I am not trying to argue I am just saying... Like you said.. the cops aren't going to be Johnny on the spot. It just doesn't work that way. It usually goes that when something happens you are on the other side of the area. That being said, would you rather have me (who is trained, certified, a darn good shot {Tooting my own horn} or lady who manages to forget she had a gun in her purse if for some reason a deranged crazy decides to start shooting off the Orbiter
Between you and the lady. You! However, if you and I(who also shoots pretty darn well) are in the same area with things go down, I think our, as well as the people around us, chances of survival just increased two fold! Trust me, I am not cut out for police work. I am lazy, and would assume taze you as chase you, I'm already full of myself, this is why i did not do police work! I think some people need to see their limitations!

Champion

Exactly. It's not like Disney's bag checks are very thorough. Sometimes all they do is look inside...at times they don't even physically reach inside the bag and move stuff around. It just seems odd...and the timing of this event is also very interesting.

:shrug::drevil:

And ... if you wanted to get something in, you just wouldn't put it in the bag, and strap it to yourself or put it in your shoe or any of lots of other things.

duck_daddy

I agree. I have never pulled mine without the intention of pulling the trigger if the situation didn't change drastically within a second or two. Now I will admit that there are alot of cops that have a "quick to pull" instinct and that just isn't right. I don't even touch it unless the situation dictates that I do. That is why I am also issued a can of OC (pepper spray), baton, taser, and have been through numerous ground fighting courses. But I agree if I see one just because some random decided to pull it then I will take that as an act of aggression and will act accordingly
Maybe just a couple to the kneecaps:shrug::lol:?!?!?!

nr_emt18

fla laws

fla state statute on carrying concealed weapons....i dont see MK in here anywhere.....

[SIZE=-1](12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

here is the url if you want to read the whole statute http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/in...String=concealed+weapons&URL=CH0790/Sec06.HTM. i fully support competent legal citizens carrying concealed weapons in disney.
[/SIZE]

Champion

fla state statute on carrying concealed weapons....i dont see MK in here anywhere.....

[SIZE=-1](12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

here is the url if you want to read the whole statute http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/in...String=concealed+weapons&URL=CH0790/Sec06.HTM. i fully support competent legal citizens carrying concealed weapons in disney.
[/SIZE]

WDW, as a private entity, can enforce any rules for entry as it sees fit. For instance: They can require you to wear shoes and a shirt into the park, when there is no law saying that you have to wear them. A private company can deny you access for any NON DISCRIMINATORY reason they see fit. Not allowing you in because you have a gun isn't discriminatory, and thus it is legal.

duck_daddy

WDW, as a private entity, can enforce any rules for entry as it sees fit. For instance: They can require you to wear shoes and a shirt into the park, when there is no law saying that you have to wear them. A private company can deny you access for any NON DISCRIMINATORY reason they see fit. Not allowing you in because you have a gun isn't discriminatory, and thus it is legal.
Fair point.

wdwmomof3

I could not believe this when I read it. I can't believe ANYONE would try to take a gun in to a Disney park or any park for that matter. I am so glad that they caught the lady. It made me so mad to hear this. I can see having one in the car on a trip, for safety, but leave it there. What are people thinking these days? After the shootings in the Mall last week and then today at a Church, what's next? Disney?

I can't remember from our last visit but does anyone know if there are metal detectors or not? For some reason I was thinking that there was something set up at the gates. If there is not, there should be. People are so crazy these days that they will do anything for attention.

Also, if she really forgot that she had it on her, they should pull her permit... if she even has one. This just makes me sick!

Champion

I could not believe this when I read it. I can't believe ANYONE would try to take a gun in to a Disney park or any park for that matter. I am so glad that they caught the lady. It made me so mad to hear this. I can see having one in the car on a trip, for safety, but leave it there. What are people thinking these days? After the shootings in the Mall last week and then today at a Church, what's next? Disney?

I can't remember from our last visit but does anyone know if there are metal detectors or not? For some reason I was thinking that there was something set up at the gates. If there is not, there should be. People are so crazy these days that they will do anything for attention.

Also, if she really forgot that she had it on her, they should pull her permit... if she even has one. This just makes me sick!

Hate to break it to you, but chances are (I'd say 99% - the other 1% for just dumb luck against it), the last time you were in a park, there was at least one person with a concealed weapon in the park with you. And I'm not referring to security. When you have 30-50 thousand people in one place, at least one of them will have a weapon.

Remember that there are no metal detectors. No body searches. The two second bag check, and thats it. Heck, they make those purses with the false bottoms for the gun to go under.

wdwmomof3

Hate to break it to you, but chances are (I'd say 99% - the other 1% for just dumb luck against it), the last time you were in a park, there was at least one person with a concealed weapon in the park with you. And I'm not referring to security. When you have 30-50 thousand people in one place, at least one of them will have a weapon.

Remember that there are no metal detectors. No body searches. The two second bag check, and thats it. Heck, they make those purses with the false bottoms for the gun to go under.

I am sure you are right but why would anyone feel the need to carry a gun in to a Disney park? What if it was pulled out and fell into the wrong hands and someone was shot? I hate guns!! I hate that they fall into the wrong hands to easy. I really feel for every single police officer on the streets because they are always in danger of some nut case with a gun.

Champion

I am sure you are right but why would anyone feel the need to carry a gun in to a Disney park? What if it was pulled out and fell into the wrong hands and someone was shot? I hate guns!! I hate that they fall into the wrong hands to easy. I really feel for every single police officer on the streets because they are always in danger of some nut case with a gun.

So ... for your scenario ... you'd have to have the following happen:
1. Person A brings in their permitted, concealed weapon.
2. Person A's holster somehow fails, and the gun falls out.
3. Person B just happens to walk by as this occurs.
4. Person B decides, just then, that he should pick up the gun and shoot people.

A more likely scenario would be:
1. Person B gets a gun illegally.
2. Person B comes in and shoots people.

But because of Person A's concealed weapon, you could have
3. Person A shoots Person B.

Just FYI, countries that have strict gun control laws, such as England, have no long term drop in violent crime. If someone wants a gun, they will get it, no matter what. Same as committing a crime, or anything else.

No reason to hate guns, they are just a tool. Thats like hating a dryer because its exhaust can get clogged and burn down your house. Instead, hate the people that commit crimes with guns.

But its just the way. No personal responsibility and legislate everything.

People that have their weapons legally are not the ones you hear about committing violent crimes. So taking those guns away wouldn't stop anything.

c133125

The article said she was from Pennsylvania...So how was she able to travel on a plane with a gun in her purse? Unless she drove. Even if she had it in her checked luggage, dont you have to tell the airline that you have a gun in there? Dont see how she could have "forgotten"

Hrudey3032

Hey is it possible,just possible that this woman(she is 63) might have a slight case of Alzheimers?? I mean yea I wouldnt want her to have a gun but if she said she forgot it at that age I would chalk it up to being older and the mind is not as sharp as it once was for alot of folks.As far as the knife and scissors well we have no clue what types these were.It could have been a swiss army knife which alot of people have and the scissors could have been them lil' scissors women use for crafts or cosmetic reasons. :shrug:

kimmychad

I think it speaks pretty sad of our world that we automatically view a pocketknife and scissors as forms of protection. I highly doubt this is the purpose this woman had in mind for carrying those items. Lots of people carry pocketknives in their pockets and it has nothing to do with protection. Both sets of my grandparents were farmers and I remember when I would stay with them, my grandpas would always have a pocketknife as would many of the people who would pull in to visit. They would use it for about anything, really. To peel an apple they just pulled off of the tree, to whittle, to open the mail, etc. Pocketknives serve a multitude of everyday purposes, not just self defense. Same with scissors. Since when did that become regarded as a weapon? Sure, anything can be a weapon, including scissors. But if I hear of someone carrying scissors in her purse, I don't think of it as a weapon. I just think of it as having scissors in case you need to cut out coupons from the paper, cut the tags off a product you just bought, etc. Heck, I have scissors in my van, and they come in handy from time to time.

So this woman had scissors and a knife in her purse. So freakin' what?

The gun I can see a little more problem with if she doesn't have a permit (although if a person decides to carry protection, even illegally, it still doesn't make them a monster). But if she had a permit to carry it, I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she had a brain fart that day and forgot to take it out of her purse before entering WDW property.

i like the stories you tell when your trying to make a point.
i was in the navy for 3 years and of course i travled alot, usually by plane, tried train and bus but they were horrible. on a flight back to the base on one trip my grandmother gave me a nice kitchen set that came in a wooden block, had all kinds of things in it, steak knives, butcher knives, everything you could imagine. i had put it in my carry on for whatever reason not thinking twice about it. the airport security stopped me, seen what kind of knives they were and sent me on my way. of course that was before 9/11. point is, today just about anything can be used or modified as a weapon, and whether or not she had a permit is pointless, as it would have been from pa. things like this scare people today, her age doesnt make me think shes any less of a threat either.

When did WDWMAGIC become a forum discussing the issue of gun control? Regardless of your position on the issue, it seems pretty obvious that carrying a loaded gun on your person around WDW isn't the smartest thing to do. Carrying a Dole Whip on the other hand...

PigletIsMyCat

I also agree, a person has a right to keep and bear arms, as long as they do it legally. Seeing that she is from Pa., if she has a permit in Pa., it does not give her the right to cross state lines with the weapon.

I know this post is like four pages old, but it seemed to simple to me that I had to make sure people realized this.

This woman had to get from PA to FL. She either had to fly, drive, or take the train. Just because you have a license in your state to carry a weapon doesn't mean it's good nationwide.

So now I have multiple problems with this. First, who forgets that they're carrying a LOADED CONCEALED WEAPON? Into the Magic Kingdom of all places? I don't give a flying cupcake how normal it is to her, how much it's like her comb or wallet - IT IS NOT a comb or wallet. It is a semi-automatic gun. When loaded, it is capable of killing numerous people before being reloaded. Just because it's old hat to some people who've handled guns all there life, it is still a gun, and if someone is that comfortable around it then it's all the more dangerous. Magic Kingdom has children running wild like beasts, can you imagine if a kid found it in her purse?

Second, someone who is that lax in following gun laws doesn't deserve to have a gun. If you aren't going to keep it legally, who's to say you're using it legally?

I don't care where you are from or how many permits you have to carry - there is absolutely NO REASON to bring a gun to Disney. Hats off to the crack security team for catching that one.

Next time I'm at MK, I'll stop by the Hall of Presidents and ask Thomas Jefferson what the Founding Fathers really meant by writing the Second Amendment.

Piebald

Next time I'm at MK, I'll stop by the Hall of Presidents and ask Thomas Jefferson what the Founding Fathers really meant by writing the Second Amendment.

This post is begging for a joke but I can't do it or else I'll be breaking the rules on discussing politics.

jbmesser

First.. I do not believe that she forgot that she had it with her. I was at MK on Sunday and didn't hear a word about this at the park.
Second.. In Florida anyone may obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon if they pass a state test, a background check and fingerprint test. If you are issued a permit to carry, it doesn't allow you to always carry a weapon. One of the places that you are not allowed to carry is in any establishment that requires you to pay admission to. i.e. movie theaters, museums, amusement parks....

So even if she had a permit to carry it.... she should not have been carrying it. The only persons in the state of Florida that are permitted to carry weapons in these types of places are certified and employed law enforcement officers. Don't let anyone ever tell you different.

Way to go to the WDW staff for finding the weapon. It make me feel a bit more at ease when I am at the park knowing that they actually look inside bags.

Looking forward to my next visits to WDW in March, May, June, August, September, October and December '08

kimmychad

no ones questioning your right to bear arms. i have a 12 gauge in my bedroom, and im not opposed to get a handgun, its the taking it to disney part that is upseting. too many kids, way too chances for an accident

Wow, the wierd part is that Disney security actually got her. Whenever my family and I go through security they barelly check our stuff. Good thing they got her though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom