Woman Tried To Bring Loaded Gun, Knife Into Disney's Magic Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwmomof3

When did WDWMAGIC become a forum discussing the issue of gun control? Regardless of your position on the issue, it seems pretty obvious that carrying a loaded gun on your person around WDW isn't the smartest thing to do. Carrying a Dole Whip on the other hand...

Thats exactly my point. After the story about the kidnapping from Down Town Disney this past year, I can see a need to protect yourself, but in the parks? That was something that happened well after dark in an area that does not require park entry where thugs could gain entry to. I just don't understand the need for a gun at the Magic Kingdom, that's all. Let's face it, there is danger everywhere, especially this time of year, so you have to be careful where ever you go but use common sense about it.

wdwmomof3

I know this post is like four pages old, but it seemed to simple to me that I had to make sure people realized this.

This woman had to get from PA to FL. She either had to fly, drive, or take the train. Just because you have a license in your state to carry a weapon doesn't mean it's good nationwide.

So now I have multiple problems with this. First, who forgets that they're carrying a LOADED CONCEALED WEAPON? Into the Magic Kingdom of all places? I don't give a flying cupcake how normal it is to her, how much it's like her comb or wallet - IT IS NOT a comb or wallet. It is a semi-automatic gun. When loaded, it is capable of killing numerous people before being reloaded. Just because it's old hat to some people who've handled guns all there life, it is still a gun, and if someone is that comfortable around it then it's all the more dangerous. Magic Kingdom has children running wild like beasts, can you imagine if a kid found it in her purse?

Second, someone who is that lax in following gun laws doesn't deserve to have a gun. If you aren't going to keep it legally, who's to say you're using it legally?

I don't care where you are from or how many permits you have to carry - there is absolutely NO REASON to bring a gun to Disney. Hats off to the crack security team for catching that one.

Well said!:)

cptwife80

I have a license to carry and if I'm correct if she drove from Penn to Florida that is transporting across states lines. It will be interesting if she gets more charges for the gun or not.

bennyw01

even if she did have a licence disney isnt the place. im not 100 percent on what the rules are about carrying a gun over that disntance, or how much it is required to carry? is it really that risky?

JDM

Poppycock.

We're all human, and prone to forget things. It's easy for you to say that if you don't carry one, and if your state doesn't allow it, and if you're one of those who thinks guns are evil anyway.

But for those who see nothing wrong with guns and who regularly carry one around with them, then it could become just as common and ordianary as a comb, a wallet, or any other item that you pick up off the dresser every morning and take with you. Especially if she keeps in in her purse and doesn't even take it out every night before she goes to bed. She could very easily forget to leave it at home that day that she goes to WDW.

I don't think we should be casting such harsh judgment on her without having all the facts.

The following is not a comment on the right to carry a concealed weapon or the right to bear arms, both of which are better debated elsewhere.

However, not for ONE MOMENT do I believe this woman "forgot" she had a gun in her purse. You might forget you have lipstick or a tissue or that house key you lost. But you do NOT forget you have a gun with you.
Nope. No way.
This woman, for whatever reason, was trying to sneak it past security and got caught. Plain and simple. And thank GOD they caught her. Who knows what might have happened? ......yes, probably nothing, but let's not forget it was LOADED. Are you telling me there's NO chance it could go off accidentally? NONE? "Poppycock", I say.
And further more, why did she insist on bringing it? Was she afraid Captain Hook was going to attack her?

People try to pull this stuff all the time....they bring things through airport security and on cruise ships and then they claim "Gee, I totally forgot it was there!" And it's IN THEIR LUGGAGE!! Which means they had to PACK in there in the first place--and just recently.

Nope. This lady was flat out lying and frankly, deserves to be banned from Disney property for her (at best) stupidity or (at worst) callous disregard for others.

castlecake2.0

She brought a loaded hand gun to the Magic KIngdom and people are defending her? Has there not just been three shooting rampages in America in the last week? I just dont get it.:shrug:

Jez

Hey guys,

why don't you all move, and come live in England. It's a quaint little country.

I know WDW is a little bit further away, but when was the last time you heard that someone went on a shooting spree in a shopping mall over here?

Ilovewishes

Please tell me why you would need a loaded weapon in every day life and why you would carry it around normally let alone scissors or a knife?:shrug:

I'm with you on this one. Okay, so I'm English where guns are banned full stop, and maybe that explains why I'm so shocked at this! I mean, here carrying a gun is a BIG THING!!!! :eek:

And why would you need one at Disney? Was she staying at Disney? Surely, it's one of the safest places around? I sure feel safe when I'm there!

Champion

Thats exactly my point. After the story about the kidnapping from Down Town Disney this past year, I can see a need to protect yourself, but in the parks? That was something that happened well after dark in an area that does not require park entry where thugs could gain entry to. I just don't understand the need for a gun at the Magic Kingdom, that's all. Let's face it, there is danger everywhere, especially this time of year, so you have to be careful where ever you go but use common sense about it.

In case you missed it, those idiots made that story up.

sknydave

Now people are going to need guns at Disney World to protect themselves from the other people with guns at Disney World

hallowboy11

Hey guys,

why don't you all move, and come live in England. It's a quaint little country.

I know WDW is a little bit further away, but when was the last time you heard that someone went on a shooting spree in a shopping mall over here?

Nahh... we'll just send all the crazies over there instead. :p

Seriously, she "forgot" a freakin' HANDGUN???! Reeaaaaaaallllyyy??? That is ridiculous. She should be banned from WDW for life. Who knows what kind of intention she could have had. I've seen so many guests lose their cool with CMs that I've been afraid some would come back and try to hurt one.

IWorkWTeeth

Police: Woman Tried To Bring Loaded Gun, Knife Into Disney's Magic Kingdom
.32-Caliber Semi-Automatic Handgun Loaded With 7 Rounds, Police Say

A 63-year-old woman was arrested Sunday after sheriff's deputies said she tried to enter Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom theme park with a loaded gun, some scissors and a knife.

Security workers said they discovered a .32-caliber semi-automatic handgun on Mary Ann Richardson, of Pennsylvania, during a routine safety check at a theme park entrance gate.

Walt Disney World security notified the Orange County Sheriff's Office and officer confiscated the gun and arrested the Richardson.

Officers said the gun was loaded with seven live rounds in the magazine.

The woman was also in possession of a pair of scissors and a locked blade knife.

Richardson told officers that she traveled with the gun and had forgotten it was in her purse, according to an Orange County sheriff's report. An investigation into the incident continues.

Stringent security measures have been in place at all Central Florida theme parks since Sept. 11, the report said.

Richardson was charged with possession of a concealed weapon.

Taken from Local 6 News

"Travels with the gun"? What I want to know is did she get it past airport security (if she flew) and does Pennsylvania allow concealed weapons??

Thumbs up to the security officer at the park for finding it. Have to admit, sometimes they don't check all that well.......

PhotoDave219

"Travels with the gun"? What I want to know is did she get it past airport security (if she flew) and does Pennsylvania allow concealed weapons??

Thumbs up to the security officer at the park for finding it. Have to admit, sometimes they don't check all that well.......

You're not suggesting that Disney bag check did a better job then airport security, are you?

Jez

Nahh... we'll just send all the crazies over there instead. :p

No problem at all, I think it's standard UK policy to let anyone in these days.

It's weird hearing you guys, all talk about guns like this. I don't know anyone with one. Or even know someone, who knows someone, with one.

I've never even seen one (except on all the great American imported TV shows!)

bhg469

My guess is western PA, seems more like the behavior out that way...

I think its a bad idea to have a gun in any crowded place. It only takes one distraction and your side arm is in someone elses hands. A taser is a much better from of self defense for someone to carry since if it is turned on you it probably won't kill you.

duck_daddy

Boy this thread went to pot. We had this all figured out last night, you are a little late. She had a gun at WDW, oh you bad woman. Does she have the right to carry it? Yes! Not at WDW, though! I've said it before, the same society that makes you fear people with guns, is the same society that make people go out and buy guns for protection.

k.hunter30

The following is not a comment on the right to carry a concealed weapon or the right to bear arms, both of which are better debated elsewhere.

However, not for ONE MOMENT do I believe this woman "forgot" she had a gun in her purse. You might forget you have lipstick or a tissue or that house key you lost. But you do NOT forget you have a gun with you.
Nope. No way.
Nope. This lady was flat out lying and frankly, deserves to be banned from Disney property for her (at best) stupidity or (at worst) callous disregard for others.
I have to disagree. While, if I had a gun on me (which, just the thought of it makes me shiver) I would be blatanly aware of it; I know many people who it's their second nature to have one on them at all times. A friend of ours carries his gun everywhere he goes. Sometimes I'll ask him if he's wearing it, and he pauses a second, pats wherever he has it, and says "yes." :shrug:
The woman very well could have forgotten it was in there.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

PA is very restrictive in granting right to carry.
Based on the limited info on the woman...it is highly unlikely she would meet said requirements.

In any case it's a moot point as permits only govern in state...so whatever permits and licences she has, she has no right to carry in Florida.

As was said before...she knew full well what she had...just got caught.

bhg469

Based on the limited info on the woman...it is highly unlikely she would meet said requirements.

In any case it's a moot point as permits only govern in state...so whatever permits and licences she has, she has no right to carry in Florida.

As was said before...she knew full well what she had...just got caught.

On the contrary PA is pretty easy to get one. The processing time was much much shorter than it is here in NY. But yes carrying a gun across state lines is a real bone head move.

duck_daddy

As was said before...she knew full well what she had...just got caught
Don't be so sure. We have already discussed this, if your gonna try to sneak something in strap it to your body. We could argue all day that she didn't think of that and whatever else. Let's face it though, she may have simply forgot she had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom