With Buzzy's strange story, where's Walt Disney's plane?

SoupBone

Original Poster
Since the Great Movie Ride/Backlot Tours is gone, and with Buzzy's recent story, it got me thinking about other Disney historical items. What happened to what is arguably one of the most important pieces of Disney history, Walt Disney's plane?

I haven't heard any updates on it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Last we had seen it (well technically someone who shouldn't have gone backstage with a camera) and this was back in the summer of 2018, it was backstage at Hollywood Studios where the Backlot Tours used to be. We didn't hear anything about them moving it since then, but chances are, if it's been moved, Disney wouldn't be telling us publicly for two reasons. First, we were never publicly told where it was in the first place and second, if they moved it because they were worried about it being stolen (which is pretty unlikely to move unnoticed since it is a plane hull after all) or of it being vandalized/damaged by them, they wouldn't say it publicly because then whoever stole it if it was actually stolen would have that info to their advantage.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Last we had seen it (well technically someone who shouldn't have gone backstage with a camera) and this was back in the summer of 2018, it was backstage at Hollywood Studios where the Backlot Tours used to be. We didn't hear anything about them moving it since then, but chances are, if it's been moved, Disney wouldn't be telling us publicly for two reasons. First, we were never publicly told where it was in the first place and second, if they moved it because they were worried about it being stolen (which is pretty unlikely to move unnoticed since it is a plane hull after all) or of it being vandalized/damaged by them, they wouldn't say it publicly because then whoever stole it if it was actually stolen would have that info to their advantage.

We know it was moved to a backstage area near Animal Kingdom since then.

1546743969954.png

Bleed0range

Apparently the guy who took the video in December has already been banned from WDW twice. So... great security!

I think Disney bans are under the assumption they are trying to get into the park with a ticket. Not sneaking through the woods to their sewage treatment facility.

Disney needs to reevaluate their security considering the attention these urban explorers are bringing to their backstage areas.

Demolishing River Country probably was partially decided upon because of this problem. I’m sure that Island is going to get overhauled eventually.

Ksearcy

I think Disney bans are under the assumption they are trying to get into the park with a ticket. Not sneaking through the woods to their sewage treatment facility.

Disney needs to reevaluate their security considering the attention these urban explorers are bringing to their backstage areas.

Demolishing River Country probably was partially decided upon because of this problem. I’m sure that Island is going to get overhauled eventually.

A new hotel called Reflections- A Disney Lodge has been announced for the River Country site.

Bleed0range

I'm fairly certain they did not decide to move forward with the new hotel to stop people from sneaking into River Country. I could be wrong, but I think this is a safe assumption.

I think it would not be the sole reason of course, but I also think they’re aware of how it’s attracting people to the area and possibly putting them at risk of liability and it’s better to put something in its place then just spend money to tear it down.

I think it’s a safe assumption they considered that when making a decision to move forward on it.

But I’m not one of those super secret insiders, I just use common sense.

DisneyCane

I think it would not be the sole reason of course, but I also think they’re aware of how it’s attracting people to the area and possibly putting them at risk of liability and it’s better to put something in its place then just spend money to tear it down.

I think it’s a safe assumption they considered that when making a decision to move forward on it.

But I’m not one of those super secret insiders, I just use common sense.
If somebody has to go through an effort to enter a restricted area, the owner is not liable. It's the same if you have a fence around a swimming pool (private, not at a resort intended for access), as long as the gate is latched, you will not be responsible if someone (or some child) opens the gate without authorization and drowns.

Bleed0range

If somebody has to go through an effort to enter a restricted area, the owner is not liable. It's the same if you have a fence around a swimming pool (private, not at a resort intended for access), as long as the gate is latched, you will not be responsible if someone (or some child) opens the gate without authorization and drowns.

That’s very optimistic of you. But technically unless you can cite somewhere it specifically says that I’m going to go ahead and say that there’s a very good chance that if he got injured he could still sue Disney. Doesn’t mean he would win but he could cite negligence on the part of Disney for properly securing a dangerous area or making it clear he shouldn’t be there.

I know it sounds silly, but people have won silly lawsuits before. I’ve seen parents sue a neighbor and win because their kid was injured while riding his bike on their property.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That’s very optimistic of you. But technically unless you can cite somewhere it specifically says that I’m going to go ahead and say that there’s a very good chance that if he got injured he could still sue Disney. Doesn’t mean he would win but he could cite negligence on the part of Disney for properly securing a dangerous area or making it clear he shouldn’t be there.

I know it sounds silly, but people have won silly lawsuits before. I’ve seen parents sue a neighbor and win because their kid was injured while riding his bike on their property.

A quick Google search for "liability trespassing" returns numerous articles saying that it is very difficult to win a liability lawsuit if you were trespassing, although there are a few narrow scenarios where it might be possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom