With Buzzy's strange story, where's Walt Disney's plane?

Goofyernmost

The tail did get a pretty nice ding during the move (rumors feared it to be worse).
What does it really matter, with the interior gutted and from what I understand the engines were removed back before it was displayed in DHS, that plane is never going to fly again anyway. It is just a fabricated plug inserted in the engine cavity with props put in there to simulate a working engine. Those engines could be sold for a decent price that many years ago. The only thing it could ever be used for again is as an interesting display of the external fuselage and that can be fabricated and made to look like new in a heartbeat.

BoarderPhreak

What does it really matter, with the interior gutted and from what I understand the engines were removed back before it was displayed in DHS, that plane is never going to fly again anyway. It is just a fabricated plug inserted in the engine cavity with props put in there to simulate a working engine. Those engines could be sold for a decent price that many years ago. The only thing it could ever be used for again is as an interesting display of the external fuselage and that can be fabricated and made to look like new in a heartbeat.
I don't think anyone out there is expecting it to fly again. Most of the instruments and wiring looms are missing as well; the interior is suspected to be in the archives already. I'm sure they'll give it a fresh paint job one day and trot it out again. Or not.

Goofyernmost

Pretty sure considering the colors are aged with big stripes on it throughout that would indicate where strips were pulled off.

It could fly with that wrap on. Jets apply that for promotions.
I agree, the looks of the outside, although in pretty good shape, does not look to me like a fresh paint job. If they did paint it they would have had to move it to a location where they could paint it out of sight of people. I think they just removed the wraps. Our municipal buses had wraps quite often and many times they could remove them with no big disruption of the original paint and the paint used for airplanes is a completely different formula to prevent the cold, hot, wet, dry and humidity changes from making the paint get shabby and pull up or peal, really quickly.

Last edited:

Bleed0range

articos is a pretty reliable source, and the quote from the article on yesterday land also indicates that it was paint.

Unless it’s been repainted since it was moved and this picture was taken I’m going to say this doesn’t look like a new paint job.

E30BE127-1B3C-45FC-860A-71C284A05929.png

Goofyernmost

I don't think anyone out there is expecting it to fly again. Most of the instruments and wiring looms are missing as well; the interior is suspected to be in the archives already. I'm sure they'll give it a fresh paint job one day and trot it out again. Or not.
I'd like to believe that but then it would be difficult to understand why so many people act like it is a functioning aircraft so Disney would be interested in keeping it in pristine condition. Unless they have a public use for it, the only reason why it is still there is because they can't find a trash bag big enough to put it in and place it out for recycling. Someday, it will either be used onsite for some display, like in Disney Springs or it will be sold for parts or scrap.

BoarderPhreak

I'd like to believe that but then it would be difficult to understand why so many people act like it is a functioning aircraft so Disney would be interested in keeping it in pristine condition. Unless they have a public use for it, the only reason why it is still there is because they can't find a trash bag big enough to put it in and place it out for recycling. Someday, it will either be used onsite for some display, like in Disney Springs or it will be sold for parts or scrap.
In trotting it out, I mean like they did for the backlot tour (a shell). But you're right, at this rate it'll be scrap.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Unless it’s been repainted since it was moved and this picture was taken I’m going to say this doesn’t look like a new paint job.

View attachment 339079

Not saying this person is a reliable source, just quoting what has been said...

It was painted before it left the backlot tour, and was gone over 1 night. It was not disassembled before it was painted. The paint booth was brought to it.

Goofyernmost

Not saying this person is a reliable source, just quoting what has been said...
Anything is possible, but, I am going to say that did not happen. I have never even heard of a portable paint booth, especially one the size that would have been needed for that job or the need for regulated air pressure, clean places to apply paint. Even if it were possible, what would be the incentive. We all know that what we were looking at in the Back Lot Tour was a wrap. One that might have been there when it arrived, but, it was way to pristine to be something that had seen a lot of service. Sorry, I just can't buy that. Someone may have told them that, but, in my opinion it was just a smoke screen.

Goofyernmost

It is new paint. She’s dirty from sitting outside in the rain.
She sat outside in the rain for decades and I would bet that they didn't have a crew that washed it every day. That's not rain dirt that is dirt that comes from dust sticking to remnants of the sticky stuff that held the wrap in place. Sorry, I still cannot accept that. I can't think of a single reason to repaint it.

articos

Anything is possible, but, I am going to say that did not happen. I have never even heard of a portable paint booth, especially one the size that would have been needed for that job or the need for regulated air pressure, clean places to apply paint. Even if it were possible, what would be the incentive. We all know that what we were looking at in the Back Lot Tour was a wrap. One that might have been there when it arrived, but, it was way to pristine to be something that had seen a lot of service. Sorry, I just can't buy that. Someone may have told them that, but, in my opinion it was just a smoke screen.
I don’t know where the rumor it had a wrap while on display came from. The plane did not have a wrap while on display. When the plane was taken out of service and prepared for display in 1992, it was thoroughly cleaned and touched up. It was repainted back to the original livery when it was taken off stage months ago for reasons not yet released.

articos

She sat outside in the rain for decades and I would bet that they didn't have a crew that washed it every day. That's not rain dirt that is dirt that comes from dust sticking to remnants of the sticky stuff that held the wrap in place. Sorry, I still cannot accept that. I can't think of a single reason to repaint it.
She was cleaned on a regular basis. The plane is not owned by P&R, so there were certain requirements to her public display. Now she’s been sitting outside for months in storage, so she needs a pressure wash.

Bleed0range

He is a pretty reliable source, I would trust his word,

She was cleaned on a regular basis. The plane is not owned by P&R, so there were certain requirements to her public display. Now she’s been sitting outside for months in storage, so she needs a pressure wash.

While I believe you were told that, I don’t believe that’s a new paint job. I’ll tell you why. We have pictures of the plane being moved and it still had its blue design on it. It was damaged during the move and dented. If they were going to go through the trouble of painting it, they would have also done a repair job to that dented portion on the back while doing the body work.

Instead I think they stripped it down to its original paint and took out any interior stuff left and it is sitting there waiting to have something done to it.

Bleed0range

I don’t know where the rumor it had a wrap while on display came from. The plane did not have a wrap while on display. When the plane was taken out of service and prepared for display in 1992, it was thoroughly cleaned and touched up. It was repainted back to the original livery when it was taken off stage months ago for reasons not yet released.

Mickeyviews video of it spoke about the possible wrap and said that was the original paint job. Just from looking at the pictures this seems much more believable.

articos

While I believe you were told that, I don’t believe that’s a new paint job. I’ll tell you why. We have pictures of the plane being moved and it still had its blue design on it. It was damaged during the move and dented. If they were going to go through the trouble of painting it, they would have also done a repair job to that dented portion on the back while doing the body work.

Instead I think they stripped it down to its original paint and took out any interior stuff left and it is sitting there waiting to have something done to it.
Paint is a different contract/vendor than the stabilizer repair. There was nothing left in the interior. It’s been a shell for years after the Florida weather and leaks ruined what was left. Advertising wraps didn’t even come into wide use until the late 90s. She was painted in blue livery in the mid 80s. There was no orange left underneath. I’m not sure where this rumor got started. I’m not going to fight, if you want to believe it was a wrap, ok.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom