• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

Biff215

Most of us here are guests and fans of Disney, not neighbors, so it might be difficult to comprehend. If one of our neighbors suddenly started something at 1:00 am that woke us up, would we be understanding since he/she has lived there longer and therefore deserves the right to do it?

I'm not all that surprised that WDW ignored the effect it had on its neighbors, but I am surprised that they were willing to disrupt many of their guests staying at some of its most expensive resorts. Even with the warning (which one could do nothing to avoid at that point), I'm sure there were a fair number of guests displeased with the testing at that hour. Most had just seen a fireworks show earlier that night and may have an early morning the next day. I'm not suggesting Disney shouldn't be able to test, just that they could do it earlier to limit the disturbance at that hour. They would not need to close at 6:00 as someone else suggested, so hours wouldn't be drastically cut.

And let's not be dramatic, none of this complaining will do much of anything to affect this show or any in the future, but maybe WDW will recognize that they're not as isolated as they once were, and that's largely by their own choice.

raven

Most of us here are guests and fans of Disney, not neighbors, so it might be difficult to comprehend. If one of our neighbors suddenly started something at 1:00 am that woke us up, would we be understanding since he/she has lived there longer and therefore deserves the right to do it?

I'm not all that surprised that WDW ignored the effect it had on its neighbors, but I am surprised that they were willing to disrupt many of their guests staying at some of its most expensive resorts. Even with the warning (which one could do nothing to avoid at that point), I'm sure there were a fair number of guests displeased with the testing at that hour. Most had just seen a fireworks show earlier that night and may have an early morning the next day. I'm not suggesting Disney shouldn't be able to test, just that they could do it earlier to limit the disturbance at that hour. They would not need to close at 6:00 as someone else suggested, so hours wouldn't be drastically cut.

And let's not be dramatic, none of this complaining will do much of anything to affect this show or any in the future, but maybe WDW will recognize that they're not as isolated as they once were, and that's largely by their own choice.
True. They chose to build MK at the far north end of their property and not in the center of it knowing that someday that area nearby would be occupied, much like what happened in CA.

Housing in the area just north of the Disney property is growing so fast within the past 5 years alone. Roads are being expanded and several new schools are being built to accommodate the huge growth. Even 10 years ago most of the area was covered by citrus farms but those are rapidly vanishing due to the housing sprawl headed west. I moved to the area about 9 years ago and have watched houses being built in just a couple of months. A large wooded area on Reams Rd. just 1/2 mile north of MK has just been cleared as well for new developement.

Vipraa

Under normal circumstances it's expected. We hear them every single night. But we also know that Disney has been extremely accommodating and respectful to their neighbors by ending their fireworks around midnight at the latest (New Years Eve). So launching a loud barrage of booms at 1:30am on a weeknight is out of the ordinary for them. As I said earlier, they could've easily closed the park around 9pm and had the testing done by midnight.

I'd also like to include that most of the people who complained, who live in the area, actually work for Disney.

There was a small brushfire next to MK's launch site around 11:30 so that probably contributed to the delay quite a bit.

wdwfan22

Under normal circumstances it's expected. We hear them every single night. But we also know that Disney has been extremely accommodating and respectful to their neighbors by ending their fireworks around midnight at the latest (New Years Eve). So launching a loud barrage of booms at 1:30am on a weeknight is out of the ordinary for them. As I said earlier, they could've easily closed the park around 9pm and had the testing done by midnight.

I'd also like to include that most of the people who complained, who live in the area, actually work for Disney.

I don't think they should have had to close the park at 9 pm to test fireworks. They don't shoot them off at 1:30 am every night. It's been one time in years. Disney has been around for over 40 years and fireworks come with the territory. Those moving into the area are full aware of this. Some people just like to complain to complain.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
in my opinion if someone lives near WDW, wanted that location to be close to WDW and have a fireworks view (in some cases), and they hear fireworks at any time of the night once in a blue moon they shouldn't get their magical panties in a wad

they shouldn't alter any of their plans or schedule because of whatever the neighbors that came in after them want... if you live near the mouse you've gotta expect the cheese after hours on very rare occasions

if someone chose to live near a racetrack and there was a rain delay and the race was ran late at night into the early morning and it was loud when they wanted to sleep ... they shouldn't complain...they chose to live there

EvilChameleon

Well, that analogy isn't the best to make, as race tracks often do have curfews, which is why you'll see NASCAR races run Monday morning/afternoon if it gets rained out.

TTA94

What do you think would be a reasonable time to arrive at the hub for Wishes closing and HEA's opening? I know there were people waiting for MSEP's last run as early as noon, but I'm not that crazy and I have fast passes lol.

That's what I'm wondering to. Sounds like they are expecting July 4 and NYE crowds... that concerns me lol.

raven

I don't think they should have had to close the park at 9 pm to test fireworks. They don't shoot them off at 1:30 am every night. It's been one time in years. Disney has been around for over 40 years and fireworks come with the territory. Those moving into the area are full aware of this. Some people just like to complain to complain.

in my opinion if someone lives near WDW, wanted that location to be close to WDW and have a fireworks view (in some cases), and they hear fireworks at any time of the night once in a blue moon they shouldn't get their magical panties in a wad

they shouldn't alter any of their plans or schedule because of whatever the neighbors that came in after them want... if you live near the mouse you've gotta expect the cheese after hours on very rare occasions

if someone chose to live near a racetrack and there was a rain delay and the race was ran late at night into the early morning and it was loud when they wanted to sleep ... they shouldn't complain...they chose to live there
Being close to Disney isn't the soul reason people have chosen to live in that area. For instance the area is very nice, low crime, the school systems are great and there is easy access to major roads and shopping.

I know that you don't have any idea of the housing surrounding the area, or even care to, so I don't expect you to understand. But don't make blatant remarks about people in living arrangements you don't know anything of.

Bocabear

The park and it's operations have been there long before the surrounding developments were even thought of... WDW should be able to do what they need to do.. +Same thing about Anaheim...People CHOSE to move into a close proximity of a theme park that has nightly fireworks...if the soundof fireworks bothers you, you should probably not have moved nearby...likewise with an airport...someone moves into a house near an airport and doesnt like the sound of the planes, should the airport be forced to change their flight patterns to suit neighbors in a recently built neighborhood? I think not.

Biff215

The park and it's operations have been there long before the surrounding developments were even thought of... WDW should be able to do what they need to do.. +Same thing about Anaheim...People CHOSE to move into a close proximity of a theme park that has nightly fireworks...if the soundof fireworks bothers you, you should probably not have moved nearby...likewise with an airport...someone moves into a house near an airport and doesnt like the sound of the planes, should the airport be forced to change their flight patterns to suit neighbors in a recently built neighborhood? I think not.
But they're not complaining about nightly fireworks, those are to be expected. This was 1:30 am on a weeknight, unannounced to local residents from what I understand. That simply shows a lack of courtesy IMO. Fortunately this rarely happens, but I don't think we should be surprised that this upset those who weren't expecting it.

Bocabear

Would an airport be expected to announce to residents that they were bringing in a late flight?
I don't think so...It would be courteous to release a statement that they would be testing fireworks on certain dates but see no reason they should have to...

Biff215

Would an airport be expected to announce to residents that they were bringing in a late flight?
I don't think so...It would be courteous to release a statement that they would be testing fireworks on certain dates but see no reason they should have to...
Not one late flight, but maybe 25 or more would be equivalent to the amount of noise that a fireworks show creates. The other difference here is WDW does have a choice, this shouldn't have to occur at that hour, even as a simple courtesy to their guests staying close by.

Just a difference of opinion, and mine is no doubt affected by having young children whose sleep often determines how good their next day will be, especially when on vacation or a school night.

raven

ONCE AGAIN, I will state that Disney fireworks are normal at certain times in the evening. Local residents expect that. What they DON'T expect is when they create excessive noise after midnight and disturb thousands of residents and their children. Disney had control of the entire situation and could've planned it earlier if they wanted to.

Someone stated that a brush fire near the launch area caused the test to be delayed but I don't believe that affected it much. Disney employs a manned water truck standing by the launch area for ALL of the MK fireworks shows. That truck would've responded immediately with the attached sprayer activated from the driver. It can spray up to 30' without the driver even leaving the vehicle. Also, Disney activates sprinklers to water down affected areas before those shows even begin. So this claim doesn't say much to me as far as being a reason for a lengthy delay.

Also, AGAIN, I will state that noise pollution from the MK fireworks can spread up to 6 miles away. That's not exactly living "nearby."

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
ONCE AGAIN, I will state that Disney fireworks are normal at certain times in the evening. Local residents expect that. What they DON'T expect is when they create excessive noise after midnight and disturb thousands of residents and their children. Disney had control of the entire situation and could've planned it earlier if they wanted to.

Someone stated that a brush fire near the launch area caused the test to be delayed but I don't believe that affected it much. Disney employs a manned water truck standing by the launch area for ALL of the MK fireworks shows. That truck would've responded immediately with the attached sprayer activated from the driver. It can spray up to 30' without the driver even leaving the vehicle. Also, Disney activates sprinklers to water down affected areas before those shows even begin. So this claim doesn't say much to me as far as being a reason for a lengthy delay.

Also, AGAIN, I will state that noise pollution from the MK fireworks can spread up to 6 miles away. That's not exactly living "nearby."
I do wonder. Did they place anything in a local paper, or alert any of the local news media organizations so that the word could get out that this would happen? Is it possible that you may have just missed the notification?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I know that you don't have any idea of the housing surrounding the area, or even care to, so I don't expect you to understand. But don't make blatant remarks about people in living arrangements you don't know anything of.

with all due respect....you don't know what I know or where I've been so don't make blantant remarks just because you don't agree with me

Thank you

Bocabear

is this something that goes on all the time? No, it was just a random testing?
It would have been courteous to have posted something in the paper, but as you know with testing and show production, you cannot tell exactly when something will happen...they may have been set up to go around midnight but had delays due to technical issues...
Again, you moved into an area that has and has always had fireworks nightly... When designing a new show they have to be tested...I am sure they would be very apologetic if it woke your children, and I am sure they didn't do it on purpose to ruin the sleep cycle of your snowflakes, but let it go already...if this is that huge a problem you should probably move to Wyoming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom