• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

The Empress Lilly

It’s a bit much for me, too. Disliking HEA due to artistic decisions is perfectly reasonable (full disclosure: I loved Wishes and love HEA) but claiming it’s not a firework show is a bit unreasonable. Perhaps it would be more appropriate for folks to say it’s #NotMyFireworksShow
The story of HEA is driven by what happens on the castle, by what is projected through projection mapping. This is the essence of the show. At heart, HEA is a projection mapping show with an inordinate amount of fireworks thrown in because that's what people have come to expect in a castle park (and from the castle + fireworks combo that opens every Disney movie - even if that can no longer be seen at the actual parks)

Even the non-fan mainstream press caught on to the change from fireworks to projection mapping shows:

With the new Happily Ever After fireworks show at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, however, the fireworks have been upstaged. In fact, no pyrotechnics appear until well over a minute into the presentation. It's not that the fireworks are incidental exactly. Plenty of bursts still light up the Florida park's sky. But they've been relegated to a co-starring role at best. Along with the musical soundtrack, spotlights, and lasers, fireworks often support the show's true main player: digital projections.

Projection mapping, in which digital content is projected onto three-dimensional surfaces such as buildings, first appeared at the Disney parks a few years ago. Initially, the shows were stand-alone presentations that were occasionally punctuated with a few fireworks. The imagery, which is designed to fit the contours of the structures, used to be more abstract, with bright colors and shapes lighting up and animating buildings such as Disneyland's "it's a small world" façade and the Magic Kingdom's Cinderella Castle.

As the artistry and technology evolved and the imagery became sharper and brighter, the projected content included brief animated vignettes featuring Disney's beloved stable of characters. Essentially, projection mapping shows have turned the parks into drive-in theaters with the castles and other structures serving as enormous screens.

Essentially, projection mapping shows have turned the parks into drive-in theaters with the castles and other structures serving as enormous screens.

Now, virtually every nighttime show at a Disney park incorporates projections. (The show technology is even making its way indoors on rides and attractions.) It's likely that Wishes, the fireworks spectacle that debuted in 2003 at the Magic Kingdom and closed earlier this year to make way for Happily Ever After, will be the last Disney World show to focus solely on pyrotechnics.

With so many things competing for attention in Happily Ever After, it's sometimes hard to know where to look. However, the focus is often more on the castle than the fireworks bursting above it. "For this show, we wanted the castle to be the storyteller itself," says Michael Young, the show's creative director.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ngdom-happily-ever-after-fireworks/479786001/

DisneyInsider101

At Fantasmic, whose broad stars on the sorcerer's hat, through his perilous fight, over the snack carts we watch, are so gallantly streaming in the fireworks' red glare and the bombs bursting in air? Mickey's!

Yet, despite the fireworks, surely Fantastmic isn't a fireworks show? Wishes, in turn, isn't a theater production because of one actress / stunt woman. Fantasmic is a stage show with fireworks, Wishes a fireworks show with live acting.

HEA, and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular, and Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam! are...what's the termd...multimedia shows. Consisting of projection mapping (where most of the attention is drawn too), music, lasers, searchlights, fire and pyrotechnics. Water fountains and water projections sometimes thrown in the mix for good measure too, as in HEA's daddy, Dreams.

Great shows, I just wish they would be used in DHS, and fireworks in the MK, for the sake of variety, crowd management, tradition and applicability.
Don't be a smarta-s child. Happily ever after has over 500 shells... Fantasmic has pyro but it's not shells like happily ever after... HEA, and Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular, and Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam! are all considered firework shows as they have a good amount of fireworks in them...

Things like Disney's Movie magic and Once upon a time are considered projection mapping shows due to the fact that they have very little pyro/no pyro at all.

Last edited:

Kman101

The story of HEA is driven by what happens on the castle, by what is projected through projection mapping. This is the essence of the show. At heart, HEA is a projection mapping show with an inordinate amount of fireworks thrown in because that's what people have come to expect in a castle park (and from the castle + fireworks combo that opens every Disney movie - even if that can no longer be seen at the actual parks)

Even the non-fan mainstream press caught on to the change from fireworks to projection mapping shows:

With the new Happily Ever After fireworks show at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, however, the fireworks have been upstaged. In fact, no pyrotechnics appear until well over a minute into the presentation. It's not that the fireworks are incidental exactly. Plenty of bursts still light up the Florida park's sky. But they've been relegated to a co-starring role at best. Along with the musical soundtrack, spotlights, and lasers, fireworks often support the show's true main player: digital projections.

Projection mapping, in which digital content is projected onto three-dimensional surfaces such as buildings, first appeared at the Disney parks a few years ago. Initially, the shows were stand-alone presentations that were occasionally punctuated with a few fireworks. The imagery, which is designed to fit the contours of the structures, used to be more abstract, with bright colors and shapes lighting up and animating buildings such as Disneyland's "it's a small world" façade and the Magic Kingdom's Cinderella Castle.

As the artistry and technology evolved and the imagery became sharper and brighter, the projected content included brief animated vignettes featuring Disney's beloved stable of characters. Essentially, projection mapping shows have turned the parks into drive-in theaters with the castles and other structures serving as enormous screens.

Essentially, projection mapping shows have turned the parks into drive-in theaters with the castles and other structures serving as enormous screens.

Now, virtually every nighttime show at a Disney park incorporates projections. (The show technology is even making its way indoors on rides and attractions.) It's likely that Wishes, the fireworks spectacle that debuted in 2003 at the Magic Kingdom and closed earlier this year to make way for Happily Ever After, will be the last Disney World show to focus solely on pyrotechnics.

With so many things competing for attention in Happily Ever After, it's sometimes hard to know where to look. However, the focus is often more on the castle than the fireworks bursting above it. "For this show, we wanted the castle to be the storyteller itself," says Michael Young, the show's creative director.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...ngdom-happily-ever-after-fireworks/479786001/

Personally, I don't care what that says. It's a fireworks show. It just has projections. You don't have to like them, I understand the logic of some that it's unneccessary and a distraction, sure, you can look at it that way if Wishes meant that much to you. But to say it isn't a fireworks show is deliberately trying to lessen it to prove your point. It's like 15 minutes of fireworks (how long was Wishes, again?) that happen to have projections playing on the castle as they go off. I get not wanting to like it, and that's fine, but it's still a well done show. You've lost a lot of us by insisting this isn't a fireworks show.

And no, Fantasmic! is not the same. IMO, of course. I wouldn't compare the two at all.

Just because you don't like the projections doesn't mean it's not a fireworks show. It can't be both a projection AND fireworks show? I mean, this is kind of a silly debate. You don't like it and that's more than fine, no need to keep insisting it isn't a fireworks show. Just because it has projections it now negates the 15 minutes of pyro that plays nearly nonstop? To each their own then.

You know, this is a novel concept, but you can dislike something and still think it was well done ;) but we get it, it's not your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that. But don't make it something it isn't.

Personally, I like HEA. It's a well done show. Do I *love* the projections? I'm not sure, to be honest. I don't have the nostalgic, emotional pull towards Wishes. It was nice. It had heart. I think they're overdoing the projections at this point.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Personally, I don't care what that says. It's a fireworks show. It just has projections. You don't have to like them, I understand the logic of some that it's unneccessary and a distraction, sure, you can look at it that way if Wishes meant that much to you. But to say it isn't a fireworks show is deliberately trying to lessen it to prove your point. It's like 15 minutes of fireworks (how long was Wishes, again?) that happen to have projections playing on the castle as they go off. I get not wanting to like it, and that's fine, but it's still a well done show. You've lost a lot of us by insisting this isn't a fireworks show.

And no, Fantasmic! is not the same. IMO, of course. I wouldn't compare the two at all.

Just because you don't like the projections doesn't mean it's not a fireworks show. It can't be both a projection AND fireworks show? I mean, this is kind of a silly debate. You don't like it and that's more than fine, no need to keep insisting it isn't a fireworks show. Just because it has projections it now negates the 15 minutes of pyro that plays nearly nonstop? To each their own then.

You know, this is a novel concept, but you can dislike something and still think it was well done ;) but we get it, it's not your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that. But don't make it something it isn't.

Personally, I like HEA. It's a well done show. Do I *love* the projections? I'm not sure, to be honest. I don't have the nostalgic, emotional pull towards Wishes. It was nice. It had heart. I think they're overdoing the projections at this point.
?

My personal preference has got nothing to do with precision of terminology. I could think HEA the greatest show in the world and argue the exact same. In fact, I would feel more compelled too. Surely it would be precisely HEA's fans who would agree with me that the show is done short by calling it just fireworks?

hobovampire

Man, I loved Wishes but HEA, that music is amazing. I listen to it in my car and I just cry. It's got such a great feeling, a great message. Wishes was fun and its the show I remember most (Im a semi-youth but have begun cellular death so), but it was very surface generic Disney and the singing was fine. HEA, when it starts, it's so raw and so full of feeling, all those spotlight songs and singers, and how they have Tiana! That's so important! It's incredible. I am in absolute love with HEA and all it's fireworks.

Sorry, completely useless post that contributed nothing just, I love it so much and really, it's fireworks. Sure is. Pyro, fireworks and projection, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

jrhwdw

Watched HEA tonight via Facebook, No Christmas Tag or Holiday Wishes' finale.
Too bad they didn't add anything even though HEA is better than Holiday Wishes

CJR

Watched HEA tonight via Facebook, No Christmas Tag or Holiday Wishes' finale.
Too bad they didn't add anything even though HEA is better than Holiday Wishes

I was there tonight, definitely nothing special for the fireworks. The stage show and parade are still from the party though. Unfortunately, since HEA was the fireworks show, that also meant no snow down Main Street USA.

The Empress Lilly

Man, I loved Wishes but HEA, that music is amazing. I listen to it in my car and I just cry. It's got such a great feeling, a great message. Wishes was fun and its the show I remember most (Im a semi-youth but have begun cellular death so), but it was very surface generic Disney and the singing was fine. HEA, when it starts, it's so raw and so full of feeling, all those spotlight songs and singers, and how they have Tiana! That's so important! It's incredible. I am in absolute love with HEA and all it's fireworks.

Sorry, completely useless post that contributed nothing just, I love it so much and really, it's fireworks. Sure is. Pyro, fireworks and projection, you can have your cake and eat it too.
Wishes was a bit saccharine, indeed a bit surface generic Disney, but it worked for me. HEA's music..I don't know. To me the music is a bit so-so. I don't need to hear a greatest movie hits score, no more than I need to see those characters projected. And the original parts of the score are a bit too modern Disney channel for me, it doesn't strike an emotional chord in me. No accounting for personal taste though.

The fireworks itself I like, in fact I was shocked at the sheer number of fireworks they shoot up, HEA probably puts up the morst elaborate fireworks show ever (even if it isn't a fireworks show, but that terminological distinction is apparently snowed under in the invariable crudeness of the discussion forum format).
HEA's opening I too like. It's after that that the show loses me. Perhaps it is the old discussion about narrative storytelling. HEA is too explicit, leaves too little to the imagination. There is more mystery in the plain fireworks. There is more power in its thunder and lightning than in the videoclip.

Ah, personal taste. I prefer vintage Disney. My Disney magic is to see the different shades of gold the top spire turns into in the reflection of the fireworks. With the smoke behind it, and some wind, the castle seems to lift up, to float across the sky. There is more mystery in that than in the sports movie peptalk presented by a cartoon.

Last edited:

DisneyInsider101

I was there tonight, definitely nothing special for the fireworks. The stage show and parade are still from the party though. Unfortunately, since HEA was the fireworks show, that also meant no snow down Main Street USA.
Of course they're the same... Why would the shows be different?

Next Big Thing

Magic, majesty, the most enduring image, the most sacred Disney rite, the fire in which the bond is forged:
trdifw031038515.jpg

Sensory overload, the pizza with too many toppings, the banality of the all-characters-all-the-time Disney:
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Screen-Shot-2017-05-05-at-10.18.02-AM.jpg

There are trees in the top picture, as there should be. The trees frame the view of the fireworks, but are in the way of the video show. Trees, nature, the moat, these represent the reassuring innocence of natural values. Cinderella castle is a symbol of the good in this world, not of the forces of Mordor and the wood choppers of Isengard. All the current HEA lacks is a word from the sponsor, the Brazilian logging company.
You chose literally one of the best photos possible from Wishes and what looks to be a youtube screenshot of one of the worst looking parts of HEA. Not biased cherry picking at all. :rolleyes:

Next Big Thing

That’s actually Fantasy in the Sky :D
lol, no wonder I didn't recognize it from Wishes. Being someone who has seen Wishes literally hundreds of times while working for the mouse, I thought that was odd :p

Either way, point still stands about HEA. Is the first pic beautiful, absolutely. Is HEA hectic, yes. But cherry picking based on the general look isn't a good way to judge a show. If you don't like it, then fine, but don't try to come up with some sort of forced reasoning as to why people shouldn't like HEA.

Everyone has different tastes.

CJR

Happily ever after isn't exclusive to the christmas party... It replaced holiday wishes for this week because of popular demand.

I know. I was there last night. If you read my post, you'd know I was talking about the parade and Mickey's stage show. Those two are from the party and are not normally for park guests until after the last party.

Typically Holiday Wishes does show this week, this will be the first time. I don't think anyone asked for HEA instead of Holiday Wishes. Most probably don't care enough.

*Edited post to correct an error since HEA is apparently more costly than HW.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom