Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

brideck

Some parents wont raise their kids the way we think they should so we'll do it for them veiled in our entertainment.

I mean... nobody's telling anyone that they can't throw tomatoes at the screen when they see two men holding hands, if they want to. And you'd probably be teaching your kids what you want in the process.

Also, it's not particularly veiled. It just is. As are two men holding hands in the real world. Feel free to grumble or miss out on entertainment, if you want. Lord knows there's 1000s of other things to watch out there -- most of which don't make much of any money. Only somewhere around 20% of movies make any money, and all that straight to streaming stuff has yet to turn a profit for anyone.

Last edited:

TP2000

I mean... nobody's telling anyone that they can't throw tomatoes at the screen when they see two men holding hands, if they want to.

No one is going to do that. Instead, they just won't buy a $12 ticket to the movie in the first place.

And not buying a ticket is a distinct message from the free market that is received louder and clearer by studio executives than any thrown tomatoes are, which is a pointless display that only makes more cleanup work for the ushers.

Spoiler Alert: That's exactly what the free market has done for the past two years for Disney movies; not buy tickets.

brideck

Spoiler Alert: That's exactly what the free market has done for the past two years for Disney pretty much all movies; not buy tickets.

FTFY. The box office this year will be lucky to match even 2006's cume, and that's without even accounting for inflation like you've done in every chart in this thread. I think you'd have to go back to the '80s to find numbers this lousy with the adjustment. Sounds like a fun project for someone.

If you do some estimating of total number of moviegoers based on average ticket prices, you'll find that somewhere around 1/3 of the pre-pandemic theater audience just hasn't come back since then. And it was already down about 20% from where it was at the turn of the millennium.

Last edited:

Sandra Anthony

Penelope is live action.
In 2023, I wish that Walt Disney Animation's film 'WISH' commemorates the studio's remarkable 100-year legacy with a cinematic masterpiece. May it enchant audiences with innovative storytelling, breathtaking animation, and a celebration of the timeless magic that has defined Disney throughout the decades. May 'WISH' be a beacon of creativity, weaving together the nostalgia of the past and the brilliance of the future, ensuring that the studio's centennial is not just a milestone but a testament to its enduring influence on the world of animation and storytelling. Here's to a wish for another century of enchanting tales from Disney.

LittleBuford

Putting aside words and phrases that you feel are Wrongspeak...
I have no idea what this is is reference to.

why do you think Disney films bomb at the box office now, one after another after another?
Unlike some of you, I don’t pretend do know the answer. I’ve offered some thoughts on the matter several times already and see no reason to repeat them here.

And your solution is to double down and put in more gay characters holding hands and quickly pecking each other on the cheek for no real reason that advances the plot until the parents finally give in and buy tickets to Disney movies again en masse?
I have never pushed for any such “solution”.

brideck

I don't think it's been mentioned in here already and it's a bit of a diversion on my part, but I just saw that Disney is releasing Soul, Turning Red, and Luca to theaters in Jan/Feb/Mar 2024. I imagine those'll be $5 releases so probably won't have too much impact at the box office, but it'll be interesting to see how that works out and if that helps hasten Wish out of theaters.

MoonRakerSCM

Luca is a great little film, Soul lacked soul, and Turning Red was meh.

Soul was most disappointing for me as I was really looking forward to it. I play jazz and the film just fell flat for me musically... it never went beyond 'ok' imo. Never ran away with it and did anything memorable.

Farerb

Luca is a great little film, Soul lacked soul, and Turning Red was meh.

Soul was most disappointing for me as I was really looking forward to it. I play jazz and the film just fell flat for me musically... it never went beyond 'ok' imo. Never ran away with it and did anything memorable.
It had potential to explore interesting ideas but by the end it devolved into another Pixar buddy comedy formula with body switching and a cat.

Ghost93

Look, I saw the movie and I assure you that Wish is not agenda driven. Lightyear and Strange World partly yes, but WIsh is like a classic DIsney movie we know and love.....well, more or less to you guys.:rolleyes: By the way, I told you Grace Randolph is wrong for Wish including LGBTQ character because I don't see one at all. Nice try, Gracie!😛
Grace Randolph originally said that the Star character could change genders. Based on early concept art and reports of the earlier pitches of Star being a humanoid shape-shifter, I could see how that MIGHT have been inferred to be genderfluid representation. Obviously, they didn't go in that direction in the final version of the film.

Sir_Cliff

Story:
I'm a little surprised to see so many people being confused by the story or saying that there's nothing/little in it for adults. To us, it read as a very strong warning against authoritarianism. Life under Magnifico seems perfectly fine, except that you have to give up your most closely-held dream and forget you ever had it, all for the chance that it might come true someday. Except for most people it will never come true. Not because of lack of merit or even just random dumb luck, but because someone explicitly decides that it can't. In exchange, you get a safe and quiet life that's actually empty in comparison, if you know what those dreams were. Willful ignorance is pretty sweet, right?
I had the same interpretation of the film's message, though to me it seemed under-developed in the sense that they made life in Rosas under Magnifico look too good and didn't really address the potential issues of swinging toward the more individualistic system for which Asha was fighting. At least for me, it was hard to turn my brain off from asking what was going to happen when people start getting frustrated that they can't make their wishes come true and when they are having to pay for everything themselves rather than having it granted by Magnifico. Will Rosas survive as an ethnically diverse society that opens its arms to immigrants amidst the big adjustments that lie ahead? Sadly, it doesn't look like we'll have a sequel to give us the answer!

Overall, it just seemed to me like there must be a smarter way to write about the dangers of authoritarianism without such an easy alternative of everyone just following their own individual wishes and desires.

PrinceCharming617

Yeah, I don't like the look of this movie dudes and dudettes. It seems to have colors, but somehow doesn't look colorful. Like when my television was broken and everything looked faded.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah, I don't like the look of this movie dudes and dudettes. It seems to have colors, but somehow doesn't look colorful. Like when my television was broken and everything looked faded.
I was sceptical of the animation based on the previews, but I actually thought it worked quite well on the big screen. That said, the person I saw it with commented afterwards that she didn't like the animation.

Disstevefan1

Can we agree that Wish is not a bad movie, its just that it will not make money because the costs to make and market Disney movies are WAY TOO HIGH, and today its a requirement that a given movie MUST be a MEGA HIT in order to break even or make some money.

Its either that or hope that in the very long run they can make money from merch?

Phroobar

Can we agree that Wish is not a bad movie, its just that it will not make money because the costs to make and market Disney movies are WAY TOO HIGH, and today its a requirement that a given movie MUST be a MEGA HIT in order to break even or make some money.

Its either that or hope that in the very long run they can make money from merch?
No. It is a bad movie. The story really was pretty undercooked and the characters don't grow. The supporting characters are two dimensional at best. The songs were fairly mediocre with stupid lyrics that really didn't contribute as they should have. Looking at stores, no one is buying the merch.

LittleBuford

No. It is a bad movie. The story really was pretty undercooked and the characters don't grow. The supporting characters are two dimensional at best. The songs were fairly mediocre with stupid lyrics that really didn't contribute as they should have. Looking at stores, no one is buying the merch.
If I’m not mistaken, you haven’t seen it. How can you give such a definitive review?

Disstevefan1

Ok, it’s a “bad” movie that has made $105 Million world wide so far. If they could have kept the costs down some how they could have broken even or even make money

Look at Godzilla, world wide 49 Million so far. Godzilla as we know has made back costs and is making money.

Five nights is a pile of cr@p, also made money.

It always come back to costs, and in the old days, movie studios always enforced budgets.

brideck

I really think that the bigger issue is that Disney has trained its core audience to not bother with the theater and wait for D+, which is an even worse business plan.

If I can follow-up my own post with some fuzzy math. Feel free to poke holes in this, I'm just spitballing here.

Let's take Strange World as an example here:

It made just shy of $38 million (domestic) in the theaters. If you divide that by the average ticket price in 2022 of $10.53, you can see that roughly 3.5 million people saw it there. This is far less than mild pre-pandemic hits like Coco (23.5 million people) and way less than smashes like Frozen II (50 million people+).

In its first week on Disney+, per Nielsen it earned 527 million minutes watched. If you divide that by its runtime of 102 minutes, that's over 5 million private viewings. The average household size in the US is 3.13. Multiply by that and you get around 16 million people who watched it in week 1.

I'm not about to say that all 16 million D+ watchers would have run out to see it in the theaters in the absence of D+. I'm sure there have always been people who have just waited for Disney movies to hit VHS & DVD. However, the audience of people who is still interested in the new animated releases is clearly still there. It's just shifted online. These people watched it immediately on release, despite all the recent talk of how it was "bad" or "a bomb". If even half of them had seen it in theaters instead, that would be another $85 million at the box office.

Oh, right, and it earned 753 million minutes watched in week 2. And those are considered bad numbers for streaming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom