Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Ghost93

Can we agree that Wish is not a bad movie, its just that it will not make money because the costs to make and market Disney movies are WAY TOO HIGH, and today its a requirement that a given movie MUST be a MEGA HIT in order to break even or make some money.

Its either that or hope that in the very long run they can make money from merch?
It has nothing to do with today's market. Even if Wish's budget was slashed in half, it would still be a flop. Notorious box office disappointments like Atlantis made substantially more money than Wish, and that was over 20 years ago.

Adjusted for inflation, mega flops like Treasure Planet made more than Wish.

brideck

I had the same interpretation of the film's message, though to me it seemed under-developed in the sense that they made life in Rosas under Magnifico look too good

I'd surmise that this is actually some of the point. After all, plenty of intelligent, well-meaning people live under authoritarian regimes even today, and most of them remain content (or are even enthusiastic) to do so. If a viewer finds themselves thinking that life didn't seem so bad under Magnifico, that the tradeoffs made for security and a relatively empty happiness are worth it, then that probably says something about the viewer and how they would think about a real-world analogue. The film was trying to challenge its viewers to consider whether this is really okay or not. Asha (and by extension, probably the writers) didn't think so. Audiences need not agree.

Phroobar

Ok, it’s a “bad” movie that has made $105 Million world wide so far. If they could have kept the costs down some how they could have broken even or even make money

Look at Godzilla, world wide 49 Million so far. Godzilla as we know has made back costs and is making money.

Five nights is a pile of cr@p, also made money.

It always come back to costs, and in the old days, movie studios always enforced budgets.
Wish could have make Frozen-type money but it still a bad movie. FNAF didn't pretend to be anything but what it is and was still a bad movie.

Disstevefan1

It has nothing to do with today's market. Even if Wish's budget was slashed in half, it would still be a flop. Notorious box office disappointments like Atlantis made substantially more money than Wish, and that was over 20 years ago.

Adjusted for inflation, mega flops like Treasure Planet made more than Wish.
Wish so far made 105 Million world wide so, IF the budget was cut in half, there is a chance to break even.

Disstevefan1

Wish could have make Frozen-type money but it still a bad movie. FNAF didn't pretend to be anything but what it is and was still a bad movie.
Well the first Frozen was a great movie, I did not care for Frozen II but that made even more money.

Strangely, I am looking forward to the FNAF sequel, yes, I know it will also be a pile of cr@p too, but I also love to watch every F&F movie.

I totally agree with you, with FNAF and F&F, we know what we are getting going in and accept the ride through cr@pville and have a good ride.

Disstevefan1

Also, its good to be out of forums.wdwmagic jail.

The T r O p H y store is closed.

My hope was for all I gave out, they just gave a smile or a laugh. Never meant to hurt anyone.
WDWMJJail.jpg

Last edited:

mickEblu

Can we agree that Wish is not a bad movie, its just that it will not make money because the costs to make and market Disney movies are WAY TOO HIGH, and today its a requirement that a given movie MUST be a MEGA HIT in order to break even or make some money.

Its either that or hope that in the very long run they can make money from merch?

No I can’t agree. It’s not as if the budget snuck up on them. It was a known factor. They thought going back to a “traditional” fairytale movie for the 100th would be a slam dunk but unfortunately it was too late. Probably too far into the production process with the bad apples at the company that got them in this mess. Let’s assume that the rumor of the gender fluid Star posing as a shapeshifter is true. It may have made the movie more interesting but it also reeks of DEI so something like that gets cut and perhaps other ideas get cut and you end up with this super sanitized movie that was being pulled into many different directions.

What makes more sense to me is they have been losing the faith and trust of their customers because of their DEI approach, subpar movies and streaming. They have tried to reel back some of the DEI stuff but it’ll take time to gain some of that faith/ trust back + a string of good movies again. And of course they need to cut down their budgets by at least half until they get out of this slump.

It sounds like Iger has started to course correct if we are to believe his words from that interview a few weeks ago. The entire production team on future projects needs to have their priorities set straight and then you just need to let them create. They may need a shakeup with talent too. And of course DEI needs to stay out of it.

mickEblu

No. It is a bad movie. The story really was pretty undercooked and the characters don't grow. The supporting characters are two dimensional at best. The songs were fairly mediocre with stupid lyrics that really didn't contribute as they should have. Looking at stores, no one is buying the merch.

Been to Target a lot recently and those Wish shelves are stocked! I’m talking not one toy missing.

mickEblu

You are right that the budgets didn't accidentally get this high.

THE APPROVED BUDGETS ARE TOO HIGH! THEY REQUIRE TOO MANY BUTTS IN SEATS TO BREAK EVEN.

Right but they were approved because they thought the movie would be profitable obviously. The unknown that they re trying to figure out is why their audience is not showing up which is what I was explaining in my last post. Sure I guess they can just solve everything by cutting production budgets by 2/3 and just bank on whatever loyal audience remains. But if they can’t make a hit at 200 million then can they make one at 65 million? Talent might need a shakeup but it Doesn’t really matter as long as priorities don’t change.

TalkingHead

I'd surmise that this is actually some of the point. After all, plenty of intelligent, well-meaning people live under authoritarian regimes even today, and most of them remain content (or are even enthusiastic) to do so. If a viewer finds themselves thinking that life didn't seem so bad under Magnifico, that the tradeoffs made for security and a relatively empty happiness are worth it, then that probably says something about the viewer and how they would think about a real-world analogue. The film was trying to challenge its viewers to consider whether this is really okay or not. Asha (and by extension, probably the writers) didn't think so. Audiences need not agree.
This is a Disney musical, not Cabaret. But even so, they’d need to more effectively show the downsides of the king’s authoritarianism. The movie fails on that very basic level.

Phroobar

One of the biggest disappointments about the movie (besides the mishandling of what could have been a nuanced, redeemable villain) is the fact that the script and score didn't give Ariana DeBose the chance to show off the talents that won her an Oscar for THIS.

She is an amazing singer but needs equally great material. In the cast of West Side Story she had that and really shined. With Wish there was only so much she could have done.

mickEblu

That Valutainment Guy said it best recently. Iger chose the wrong enemies and the wrong Allies. He made the parents the enemy. The ones who have the money and control what their kids watch and where they go. In the process they’ve lost a lot of peoples trust. I think Chapek actually saw this happening but didn’t have the b@lls to stand up to the mob and crumbled to the internal pressure. At the end of the day there are a lot more parents than the folks they were trying to appease. Simple numbers game.

LittleBuford

That Valutainment Guy said it best recently. Iger chose the wrong enemies and the wrong Allies. He made the parents the enemy. The ones who have the money and control what their kids watch and where they go. In the process they’ve lost a lot of peoples trust. I think Chapek actually saw this happening but didn’t have the b@lls to stand up to the mob and crumbled to the internal pressure. At the end of the day there are a lot more parents than the folks they were trying to appease. Simple numbers game.
Who is this mob, and what have they brought about that is so objectionable to parents?

brideck

This is a Disney musical, not Cabaret. But even so, they’d need to more effectively show the downsides of the king’s authoritarianism. The movie fails on that very basic level.

The downsides sink or swim based on what the viewer thinks the difference is between exploring and sitting on your porch and flying and feeding the birds in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom