Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

brideck

Did you see the movie? 2 of the 4 main examples of dreams erased that are shown in the movie are:

1) The guy who dreams of planting his flag at the top of a mountain (exploring), but his life consists of sitting on his porch and being hopelessly normal.
2) The woman who dreams of flying, but is shown sitting by the fountain feeding the birds.

Those are intended to demonstrate the difference between what would be possible given the freedom to pursue those things and their reality under Magnifico.

Disstevefan1

Right but they were approved because they thought the movie would be profitable obviously. The unknown that they re trying to figure out is why their audience is not showing up which is what I was explaining in my last post. Sure I guess they can just solve everything by cutting production budgets by 2/3 and just bank on whatever loyal audience remains. But if they can’t make a hit at 200 million then can they make one at 65 million? Talent might need a shakeup but it Doesn’t really matter as long as priorities don’t change.
Just my opinion, its possible to make a hit at 65 Million.

Rocky I, (the greatest movie ever made :)) cost 1 Million in 1976, adjusted for inflation, Google says today would cost 5.3 Million.

In my opinion, Its not about the money spent, its about the story.

mickEblu

Rocky I, (the greatest movie ever made :)) cost 1 Million in 1976, adjusted for inflation, Google says today would cost 5.3 Million.

In my opinion, Its not about the money spent, its about the story.

Of course but is it possible in 2023 with the current atmosphere at Disney is the question.

Last edited:

brideck

As best as I can tell, Disney's only two "budget" animated releases in the last 25 years are Brother Bear and Winnie the Pooh. It'll be a massive change in practices if Disney can manage to produce genuine hits at that price point.

Disstevefan1

As best as I can tell, Disney's only two "budget" animated releases in the last 25 years are Brother Bear and Winnie the Pooh. It'll be a massive change in practices if Disney can manage to produce genuine hits at that price point.
In my opinion, its the story that makes a hit, not the money spent.

brideck

In my opinion, its the story that makes a hit, not the money spent.

Yes and no. If a thing looks cheap, our culture will definitely complain about that and devalue the experience. So the question is can Disney produce something that looks expensive enough and, of course, tell a good story.

Disstevefan1

Yes and no. If a thing looks cheap, our culture will definitely complain about that and devalue the experience. So the question is can Disney produce something that looks expensive enough and, of course, tell a good story.
In my opinion, unless its really done super bad, and looks super cheap, a good story can make up for mostly anything.

I am really looking forward to watching the $15M Godzilla Minus One movie.

I only hear good things about this movie.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
In my opinion, unless its really done super bad, and looks super cheap, a good story can make up for mostly anything.

You've posted many times how your family typically waits for streaming now for almost everything. And so your movie going experience I think is emblematic of a majority of the movie going public now. Because of that if something looks overly cheap, especially for Disney, it'll be seen as a "wait for streaming" movie, equivalent to a direct to video sequels back in the day.

So Disney can't go cheap for that reason. They can certainly bring budgets into a more moderate area, but to just slash everything by half is not going to fix any of this.

brideck

That budget is a reflection of the horrible pay and working conditions in the VFX industry in Japan. An ethically-minded American company could never get that kind of "value."

mickEblu

You've posted many times how your family typically waits for streaming now for almost everything. And so your movie going experience I think is emblematic of a majority of the movie going public now. Because of that if something looks overly cheap, especially for Disney, it'll be seen as a "wait for streaming" movie, equivalent to a direct to video sequels back in the day.

So Disney can't go cheap for that reason. They can certainly bring budgets into a more moderate area, but to just slash everything by half is not going to fix any of this.

I agree that it’s not a long term solution but it can help stop the bleeding for a while. Sometimes people get more creative with more constraints and less resources. You’d need the right talent and for everyone to be on the same page and understand the priority though. The message has to come from the top of the company down. And it has to be loud and clear.

Disstevefan1

Totally agree, slashing budgets won’t help bad stories.

A bad story is a bad story at any cost.

Yes, our family most of the time waits for it to be available on streaming to purchase, if we are really un interested, wait for it to be free on streaming.

That said, if the family wanted to, I would be interested in seeing the 15M Godzilla Minus One film in the theater.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I agree that it’s not a long term solution but it can help stop the bleeding for a while. Sometimes people get more creative with more constraints and less resources. You’d need the right talent and for everyone to be clear of the priority though. The message has to come from the top of the company down. And it has to be loud and clear.
The problem is once you start down that path its hard to get both the business and the audience to adjust back. As it takes a long time to steer the ship as it were, ie the movie making process takes too long to make quick changes.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Totally agree, slashing budgets won’t help bad stories.

A bad story is a bad story at any cost.

Yes, our family most of the time waits for it to be available on streaming to purchase, if we are really un interested, wait for it to be free on streaming.

That said, if the family wanted to, I would be interested in seeing the 15M Godzilla Minus One film in the theater.
Even for good stories just slashing the budget won't help. Its because again perception is key here.

Again using your family as an example of the typical movie going family. If it takes a lot to get you to actually go out to theaters, its more than likely not going to be for some cheaper movie, Godzilla aside.

So there is no easy answer here.

Disstevefan1

Even for good stories just slashing the budget won't help. Its because again perception is key here.

Again using your family as an example of the typical movie going family. If it takes a lot to get you to actually go out to theaters, its more than likely not going to be for some cheaper movie, Godzilla aside.

So there is no easy answer here.
Agreed, no easy answer for Disney specifically. I think my latest headstone says it:
RIP_wish.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom