Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

celluloid

Looks like it's time for ol' Count Bobby to find another studio to buy and bleed dry of its talent.
View attachment 754785

I expect this number to rise as more reviews come through but seriously, this was our last hope for something great* to come out of them this year.

We'll still see it to judge for ourselves but even I am starting to get tired of playing that game and paying them money to be underwhelmed and disappointment for years on end.

*I liked The Marvels but at the same time, I can agree with everything in the pitch meeting video about it.

I will say the final trailer I saw over the weekend where the goat says "I found it with my butt" was a final straw on my wait for streaming or less opinion that aligns with the grade.

celluloid

Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about:

"But that she's Pakistani and Muslim and an immigrant (what was so bad about her own country that her parents left?) and that's somehow more important than her morals or personal virtues is fairly off-putting to many of us who care more about the content of ones character than the color of ones skin."

No, that's not something you could know from the teasers. Indeed, it's not something you could know from watching the show, since it has nothing to do with how her character is actually portrayed. It's just something the poster in question made up.

I don't know who posted this, but I would ask them more about what they know about the performer's morals. There are plenty of people I won't support based on their past morals, and it is the right of someone to choose.

Do you think it is blind hate? And if you do, do you truly think it is the norm?

LittleBuford

I don't know who posted this, but I would ask them more about what they know about the performer's morals. There are plenty of people I won't support based on their past morals, and it is the right of someone to choose.
The comments were about the character, not the actress.

Do you think it is blind hate? And if you do, do you truly think it is the norm?
I think it's ideological spin. And yes, it's been pretty normalised in these threads.

celluloid

The comments were about the character, not the actress.

I think it's ideological spin. And yes, it's been pretty normalised in these threads.

I am not familiar enough with the property.

Ok, so they stated what they don't care for about the character's main traits. They have a right to do that and I don't see it as bigoted or bad faith, even if one thinks that is a strong or good charcter trait for a main character to have. It does not make them hateful. If I am reading it correctly, they don't care about that character's motive. That seems like a consumer artistic critique.

MrPromey

Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about:

"But that she's Pakistani and Muslim and an immigrant (what was so bad about her own country that her parents left?) and that's somehow more important than her morals or personal virtues is fairly off-putting to many of us who care more about the content of ones character than the color of ones skin."

No, that's not something you could know from the teasers. Indeed, it's not something you could know from watching the show, since it has nothing to do with how her character is actually portrayed. It's just something the poster in question made up.
And you're very right.

If they'd actually watched the show, they'd know how her family ended up where they did.

Ok, so they stated what they don't care for about the character's main traits. They have a right to do that and I don't see it as bigoted or bad faith, even if one thinks that is a strong or good charcter trait for a main character to have. It does not make them hateful. If I am reading it correctly, they don't care about that character's motive. That seems like a consumer artistic critique.

I wasn't a fan of the complete show but hers is a Peter-Parker-like story... maybe even more so than his.

Her morals and personal virtues (and youthful innocence) are literally what define her character.

LittleBuford's point was that this person is full of crap because they'd know what they are saying isn't true if they'd actually watched any of it.

It's okay to not like something but it's hard to be taken seriously about what is good or bad about something when you either haven't watched it or don't want to be honest about what it is you actually don't like about it.

LittleBuford

I am not familiar enough with the property.
Nor is the poster I'm quoting. That's my point. He was inventing complaints about a character that he had never watched a second of, complaints that bore no resemblance to how that character was actually portrayed. If I can offer an analogy, it would be like someone who hasn't seen Beauty and the Beast criticising the film for making too much of Belle's Frenchness and Christianity.

MrPromey

If you're so sure you're going to be disappointed, why pay to see it in the first place?
'cause I'm a glutton for punishment?

The truth is, unlike most (apparently), I enjoy seeing movies in theaters. I see the dark room and lack of a pause button as a feature rather than a flaw in this modern world where I have enough trouble sitting through a 30 minute show without interruptions, much less a whole movie.

So I guess for me it's a little like a slot machine. I put my coin in understanding that more often than not these days with Disney I'm going to lose it but there's always that slim chance it'll still pay off and it still does just often enough to have me coming back.

I went into The Marvels with low expectations and enjoyed it. I don't think it was a great movie but it was fun and I'd have regretted waiting for streaming.

I go to theaters often enough that good enough is all I need to be happy. It's not some sort of big deal with us where it has to be an event movie or something groundbreaking for us to give it a chance and we don't have to be blown away by a movie to walk out of a theater happy.

The vast majority of Disney owned stuff we've gone to see the last few years, we've walked out of either feeling meh about or downright disappointed.

I mean, I liked Haunted Mansion. I recognize it was a nonsensical train wreck of a movie but enjoyed it for how they squeezed all the ride reference in. Still, I don't think that should be the bar they're striving to hit when it comes to audience satisfaction.

Anyway, I go because I still want to like what Disney makes and I kind of have trouble fully believing the company that put out stuff like Frozen and Wreck it Ralph and Moana not that long ago, have somehow completely lost the ability to tell a non-mediocre story.

Last edited:

Figment1984

I will say the final trailer I saw over the weekend where the goat says "I found it with my butt" was a final straw on my wait for streaming or less opinion that aligns with the grade.
The trailers for this movie do not do it justice. It’s like if the trailer for Frozen 2 was just all funny Olaf clips, it’s not a good representation of the movie IMO.

It’s interesting to see how little previous films like Strange World or Encanto were advertised and then seeing the marketing department go out in full force for this movie only to completely miss the mark. The over emphasis of the comic relief character needs to stop. Elemental suffered the same problem with its marketing with “Clod” which makes me think the same people are behind it. The goat is not as prominent as you would think from the trailers.

If there’s one department that needs a complete overhaul it’s whoever is in charge over at marketing.

LittleBuford

'cause I'm a glutton for punishment?

The truth is, unlike most, I enjoy seeing movies in theaters. I see the dark room and lack of a pause button as a feature rather than a flaw in this modern world where I have enough trouble sitting through a 30 minute show without interruptions, much less a whole movie.

I went into The Marvels with low expectations and enjoyed it. I don't think it was a great movie but it was fun and I'd have regretted waiting for streaming.

I go because I still want to like what Disney makes and I kind of have trouble fully believing the company that put out stuff like Frozen and Wreck it Ralph and Moana not that long ago, have somehow completely lost the ability to tell a non-mediocre story.
I hope you enjoy it.

As to your last sentence, I'm confident that the days of Disney telling amazing animated stories aren't over.

Disney Analyst

In the end, the critics are the critics.

Look at another movie they didn’t love, that audiences did.

IMG_0498.jpeg

wtyy21

Looks like it's time for ol' Count Bobby to find his next studio to buy and bleed dry of its talent.
View attachment 754785

I expect this number to rise as more reviews come through but seriously, this was our last hope for something great* to come out of them this year.

We'll still see it to judge for ourselves but even I am starting to get tired of playing that game and paying them money to be underwhelmed and disappointment for years on end.

*I liked The Marvels but at the same time, I can agree with everything in the pitch meeting video about it.
Audience score are not yet revealed, but i expected the score to be above 94-95%, telling how the audiences and critics disagree about the film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom