Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TsWade2

Well that was delightful. The film is gorgeous. Yes it’s certainly a different animation style for Disney, but I really enjoyed it. Felt like a blend of the classic with the new.

The music is fun, especially the “fight” song.

I chuckled a fair number of times, and the audience around me seemed to be as equally engaged and enthused.

The ending got me emotional, and all the subtle (and sometimes not subtle) references were a beautiful throwback.

It feels like a good classic Disney musical film, with a great story, a heartfelt message, and oozes with the Disney magic we all fell in love with as kids.

I think this will have legs.
Wonderful! I'm glad you like it.

Disney Analyst

She’s the same character from beginning to end. Perhaps the “growth” throughout the movie comes from the citizens of the kingdom, but they aren’t the main character.

I am not sure I fully agree with this take, but even if we do say her character does not change at all, I don’t think it’s a flaw or an issue. At least it wasn’t for me.

In general Disney animated classics haven’t always had crazy character development, nor is it entirely necessary for this type of film. Not that it doesn’t hurt, but I don’t think there is a hard or fast rule.

When I think of the classics, they showcase characters overcoming an obstacle, adversity, a challenge, a foe. Good vs evil. Sometimes teaching lessons along the way.

This movie to me felt like a call back to the more simplistic storytelling that made Disney famous, while still having twists and turns, a great villain, and several heartwarming moments.

Phroobar

I am not sure I fully agree with this take, but even if we do say her character does not change at all, I don’t think it’s a flaw or an issue. At least it wasn’t for me.

In general Disney animated classics haven’t always had crazy character development, nor is it entirely necessary for this type of film. Not that it doesn’t hurt, but I don’t think there is a hard or fast rule.

When I think of the classics, they showcase characters overcoming an obstacle, adversity, a challenge, a foe. Good vs evil. Sometimes teaching lessons along the way.

This movie to me felt like a call back to the more simplistic storytelling that made Disney famous, while still having twists and turns, a great villain, and several heartwarming moments.
So basically it should appeal to elementary school girls with very little depth for adults but with a lot of eye candy., The Disney geeks will love the easter eggs. Worth one view on Disney+ but not repeat viewing.

Chi84

Premium Member
So basically it should appeal to elementary school girls with very little depth for adults but with a lot of eye candy., The Disney geeks will love the easter eggs. Worth one view on Disney+ but not repeat viewing.
Maybe the character is geared toward a younger audience while the Disney references are meant for older fans.

I prefer live-action remakes because they show so much more depth of character. Looking forward to Snow White, with Greta Gerwig on the screenplay.

Ghost93

I'd see it on the big screen due to the visuals, which are occasionally stunning. But yeah, this is one I don't see adults revisiting repeatedly. I DO think kids will like it, though.

I'm unsure about the movie's legs because I do think kids will love the soundtrack and want to watch the film, but the adults — the ones paying the tickets — won't find this movie much more prestigious than Trolls 3.

Disney Analyst

Does Snow White only appeal to elementary school girls? Genuinely asking? As I enjoy it still, but the character development is… minimal at best, if non-existent.

Which was my point.

A good Disney animated film doesn’t necessairly need the lead to go through some monumental character shift. That would be more important if there wasn’t a villain who causes the challenge and gives us the lesson needing to be learned.

Tha Realest

Hmmm. In Deadline this morning:

1700415224148.png

TalkingHead

Does Snow White only appeal to elementary school girls? Genuinely asking? As I enjoy it still, but the character development is… minimal at best, if non-existent.

Which was my point.

A good Disney animated film doesn’t necessairly need the lead to go through some monumental character shift. That would be more important if there wasn’t a villain who causes the challenge and gives us the lesson needing to be learned.
And Snow White is also generally considered a weak character. That’s not exactly a selling point.

But on that front, is there a selling point to this movie besides 90s animated musical pastiche and corporate Disney Easter egg hunt?

Phroobar

Which was my point.

Outside of the princess meet & greet thing, Disney's original Snow White doesn't appeal to anyone anymore except movie buffs.

celluloid

Hmmm. In Deadline this morning:

View attachment 754765

I have been saying this for a year. Even if it does not top Wish, it was a business move to come out first and it will eat plenty of its share. It is DIsney that should be not thrilled about family movie competition at the same time, not the other way around. Migration will take final bites away by Christmas Break as well. Disney is sandwhiched between the current rival studio who has recently won animation popularity.

And I have been dissed for nearly a year for saying so.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

For my part—and perhaps selfishly—I care much less about how much a film brings in than about my own personal enjoyment of it. I look forward to seeing Wish in the coming days and sharing my thoughts on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tha Realest

For my part—and perhaps selfishly—I care much less about how much a film brings in than about my own personal enjoyment of it. I look forward to seeing Wish in the coming days and sharing my thoughts on it.
I had been an opening night Marvel film attendee for each and every film through Endgame. I watched Wandavision and Loki the moments the episodes were available. The last phase or two has been dreadful and tedious. I very much want them to right the ship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom