Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

DKampy

I have been saying this for a year. Even if it does not top Wish, it was a business move to come out first and it will eat plenty of its share . It is DIsney that should be not thrilled about family movie competition at the same time, not the other way around. Migration will take final bites away by Christmas Break as well. Disney is sandwhiched between the current rival studio who has recently won animation popularity.

And I have been dissed for nearly a year for saying so.
Any movie that has ever existed would of made more money if there was no competition

celluloid

Any movie that has ever existed would of made more money if there was no competition

Sort of true. There comes a point where people just are not that interested. Plenty of Disney's releases on holiday weekends showcase this.

The level of competition also varies. Universal is a much more worthy contender(and winner) of box office animaiton against Disney's animation than they were when I was young and Don Bluth films were the norm.

TsWade2

Sort of true. There comes a point where people just are not that interested. Plenty of Disney's releases on holiday weekends showcase this.

The level of competition also varies. Universal is a much more worthy contender(and winner) of box office animaiton against Disney's animation than they were when I was young and Don Bluth films were the norm.
Oh come on! That Trolls movie is stupid!

Ghost93

I don’t believe that those engaging in the pattern want it broken. The glee is all too palpable. They’re delighting in every minute of Disney doing badly at the box office.

For my part—and perhaps selfishly—I care much less about how much a film brings in than about my own personal enjoyment of it. I look forward to seeing Wish in the coming days and sharing my thoughts on it.
Agreed, many are unfortunately rooting for Disney to fail and I don't think they will stop even if Disney makes better movies.

I myself have praised Disney movies I've thought were good (Elemental, Encanto, Soul, Raya, Luca, Turning Red) and have called out those I thought were mediocre or awful (Lightyear, Strange World, most of the live-action remakes and many recent MCU movies like Quantumania and the Marvels). If I think a movie is a mixed bag — like the Little Mermaid remake, Indiana Jones 5 or Wish — I'll breakdown the strengths and weaknesses of the film. I don't have blind loyalty to the Disney company, but I don't have blind hatred for it either.

LittleBuford

Agreed, many are unfortunately rooting for Disney to fail and I don't think they will stop even if Disney makes better movies.

I myself have praised Disney movies I've thought were good (Elemental, Encanto, Soul, Raya, Luca, Turning Red) and have called out those I thought were mediocre or awful (Lightyear, Strange World, most of the live-action remakes and many recent MCU movies like Quantumania and the Marvels). If I think a movie is a mixed bag — like the Little Mermaid remake, Indiana Jones 5 or Wish — I'll breakdown the strengths and weaknesses of the film. I don't have blind loyalty to the Disney company, but I don't have blind hatred for it either.
It seems an obvious thing to say, but the film subforum is at its best and most productive when people do as you do and actually discuss the films in question, assessing each with an open mind and on its own merits. Unfortunately, it stopped being a place of good-faith dialogue many months ago.

LittleBuford

Have you seen it? According to many around here you aren't allowed to have an opinion unless you have.
I don't think anyone is claiming you have to see a film in order to have an opinion about it. "The trailer looks awful to me" and "I'm not interested in that kind of movie" are perfectly respectable positions. It's only when people start opining with great authority on something of which they have no firsthand knowledge that I start questioning the value of their opinion.

celluloid

I don't think anyone is claiming you have to see a film in order to have an opinion about it. "The trailer looks awful to me" or "I'm not interested in that kind of movie" are perfectly respectable positions. It's only when people start opining with great authority on something of which they have no firsthand knowledge that I start questioning the value of their opinion.
Could you give an example?

I sincerely ask because I am sure you can answer and far too often on here I see people do toss around bad faith effort in conversation accusations when others don't agree with them. Disagreeing, even strongly does not mean bad faith. People know enough to know what they like and don't like when it comes to commercial art right?

celluloid

Sure. See all the posts about Iman Vellani's character over in the the box-office thread. Most of them are authored by a poster who hasn't even watched a minute of her performance.
Thank you.
I am honestly not sure I have seen this specific critique of her. I think you could know enough about her performance of a character or other roles from other works or teasers, right? That is fair that someone says they are not a fan without presuming they are just blind hating.

MrPromey

Looks like it's time for ol' Count Bobby to find his next studio to buy and bleed dry of its talent.
Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 4.17.15 PM.png

I expect this number to rise as more reviews come through but seriously, this was our last hope for something great* to come out of them this year.

We'll still see it to judge for ourselves but even I am starting to get tired of playing that game and paying them money to be underwhelmed and disappointment for years on end.

*I liked The Marvels but at the same time, I can agree with everything in the pitch meeting video about it.

LittleBuford

Thank you.
I am honestly not sure I have seen this specific critique of her. I think you could know enough about her performance of a character or other roles from other works or teasers, right? That is fair that someone says they are not a fan without presuming they are just blind hating.
Here's the kind of thing I'm talking about:

"But that she's Pakistani and Muslim and an immigrant (what was so bad about her own country that her parents left?) and that's somehow more important than her morals or personal virtues is fairly off-putting to many of us who care more about the content of ones character than the color of ones skin."

No, that's not something you could know from the teasers. Indeed, it's not something you could know from watching the show, since it has nothing to do with how her character is actually portrayed. It's just something the poster in question made up.

Magenta Panther

Looks like it's time for ol' Count Bobby to find another studio to buy and bleed dry of its talent.
View attachment 754785

I expect this number to rise as more reviews come through but seriously, this was our last hope for something great* to come out of them this year.

We'll still see it to judge for ourselves but even I am starting to get tired of playing that game and paying them money to be underwhelmed and disappointment for years on end.

*I liked The Marvels but at the same time, I can agree with everything in the pitch meeting video about it.

It's down to 57% now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom