Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Sir_Cliff

Why are Disney fans angry at Disney for spending money to make artistically superior films? “Bloated budgets” are part and parcel of Disney’s animation history, associated with some of the most venerable films ever produced by the studio (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Sleeping Beauty).
You and me both. It sounds like a lot of people evaluate movies based solely on calculations of profit and loss which don't even account for revenue streams beyond the box office. If you're a fan, why would you want Disney to be holding up Five Nights at Freddy's as the gold standard of film making? Hasn't Disney's whole thing since Walt been that quality will out in the end?

Tha Realest

I don’t know what’s going to happen then… I live in the present
Well you were pretty definitive as to how this drop stands among other films, so surely you know the more recent Marvel films have had drops in the mid-60’s. Want to make sure you were aware of that when you make such broad pronouncements, and that you don’t look foolish in a week or two.

DKampy

Well you were pretty definitive as to how this drop stands among other films, so surely you know the more recent Marvel films have had drops in the mid-60’s. Want to make sure you were aware of that when you make such broad pronouncements, and that you don’t look foolish in a week or two.
All I stated how this film drop
Off was in it’s 2nd weekend in response to someone who thought that weekend shows how strong that movie was… and it was one of the worst drop offs I have seen… I also said in a previous post that the film was a success just in what it did in the first weekend… I don’t think anything I said was controversial

Edit: to say me making broad statements… wow…you are the one who proclaims every Disney movie is a failure months before it is even released

celluloid

You and me both. It sounds like a lot of people evaluate movies based solely on calculations of profit and loss which don't even account for revenue streams beyond the box office. If you're a fan, why would you want Disney to be holding up Five Nights at Freddy's as the gold standard of film making? Hasn't Disney's whole thing since Walt been that quality will out in the end?
I don't think it is a good standard for all cinema, but relatively, it was great for a PG13 horror flick that used Jim Henson practical and cost 25 million.

Should The Haunted Mansion remake be the gold standard?
Lightyear?
Indiana Jones 5?

Phroobar

Since you brought up the term and bo know said a recent hit was a gold standard: What is the last Gold Standard Disney has had?

Universal had their gold standards this year. FNAF was popcorn horror fun.
I think The Little Mermaid and Elemental were gold standard for Disney but still bombed at the box office.

celluloid

I think The Little Mermaid and Elemental were gold standard for Disney but still bombed at the box office.
Thanks for answering. I am wondering what the person who brought up the nebulous term means.
Branding is based on reputation. Every film that comes out either diminishes or enhances the brand. I would agree about Elemental being the gold standard. I don't think any of the live action remakes have been gold standards. If they were. Little Mermaid would have done better from the momentum of the others being liked.
Elemental held on the best it could. Wing against the negative expectation.
I don't think Super Mario Brothers was a great movie but Illumination has the modern Gold Standard of family enjoyment momentum from their other movies. Blumhouse traditionally does horror well and Five Nights also has the momentum of that Brand.
If Disney did not have so many misses in recent history, I imagine Elemental would have performed much better.
Universal had Super Mario, Oppenheimer and Five Nights. Family, drama and horror. There were some duds among their releases but they have a diversified enjoyed by the masses film in each of these categories.

Sir_Cliff

Thanks for answering. I am wondering what the person who brought up the nebulous term means.
Branding is based on reputation. Every film that comes out either diminishes or enhances the brand. I would agree about Elemental being the gold standard. I don't think any of the live action remakes have been gold standards. If they were. Little Mermaid would have done better from the momentum of the others being liked.
Elemental held on the best it could. Wing against the negative expectation.
I actually agree with pretty much all of this.

From Disney's point of view, I think the gold standard is something like The Lion King, Frozen, or Moana that both makes a lot of money and becomes a part of the culture that lives on and earns them money for decades to come. I don't know what they make of something like Encanto which obviously lost money at the box office, but which has reasonable shot of working its way into the culture and generating revenue through streaming, merchandise, and theme park attractions well into the future. A lot of their classics started out that way, though.

My reason for contesting the comparison between Wish and Friday Night at Freddy's based solely on profit or loss is that I find it hard to understand as a fan why I should care if a low budget horror film earns a greater profit at the box office than a higher-budgeted animated feature. Why would I want Disney to chase easy earnings rather than trying to be more ambitious with their films? You bring up the example of the live action remakes, and I see them as rather ephemeral products that earned a fortune then disappear. Despite their bloated budgets, though, they were money in the bank until recently, but that didn't make me shake my head every time they brought out an original film that made a lower profit.

celluloid

My reason for contesting the comparison between Wish and Friday Night at Freddy's based solely on profit or loss is that I find it hard to understand as a fan why I should care if a low budget horror film earns a greater profit at the box office than a higher-budgeted animated feature. Why would I want Disney to chase easy earnings rather than trying to be more ambitious with their films? You bring up the example of the live action remakes, and I see them as rather ephemeral products that earned a fortune then disappear. Despite their bloated budgets, though, they were money in the bank until recently, but that didn't make me shake my head every time they brought out an original film that made a lower profit.
Admirable to not only care about if a movie made a profit or not. Someone already explained why you should care as a fan. Another poster stated that The Little Mermaid Remake for them is a Disney gold standard for their taste. If not for the wild success financially of some of The expensive live action remakes, this one would not have been made. The box office success allowed a greenlight to the one the poster likes and consider The Gold Standard. This can apply to anything.
I also think you are too quick to discount a low budget film as a less creative endeavor. The pricetag has no bearing, often the opposite. Five Nights at Freddy's(double check the wrong name in your post) took over half a decade in development and utilized The Jim Henson Company to keep the practical animatronic feeling and avoid CGI. In comparison, what is so ambitious about Wish? For the sake of the point, let's say you really liked tangled, but did not like Frozen or Frozen 2. You did not love Moana either, but their success gave Wish the greenlight. That is why as a fan should have some care about box office. Walt Disney has been paraphrased with We make money to make more movies.
If not for big profit margins on some films, movie making industry could not afford internal and external risks to be ambitious.
Gold standards themselves are subjective is more of less the point. If you fire of remakes and find them epherial, than you should not want them to keep a high box office unless you want more.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Guys, guys, we’re getting way off topic!:rolleyes: This is about Wish, not some Chuck E. Cheese horror movie type whatever it’s called. And besides, Wish doesn’t premiere in two weeks. I think it’s going to do better than Elemental. I just hate it when people predicted this will flop which I hope not. Please be a box office success! 🥺

Sir_Cliff

Admirable to not only care about if a movie made a profit or not. Someone already explained why you should care as a fan. Another poster stated that The Little Mermaid Remake for them is a Disney gold standard for their taste. If not for the wild success financially of some of The expensive live action remakes, this one would not have been made. The box office success allowed a greenlight to the one the poster likes and consider The Gold Standard. This can apply to anything.
I also think you are too quick to discount a low budget film as a less creative endeavor. The pricetag has no bearing, often the opposite. Five Nights at Freddy's(double check the wrong name in your post) took over half a decade in development and utilized The Jim Henson Company to keep the practical animatronic feeling and avoid CGI. In comparison, what is so ambitious about Wish? For the sake of the point, let's say you really liked tangled, but did not like Frozen or Frozen 2. You did not love Moana either, but their success gave Wish the greenlight. That is why as a fan should have some care about box office. Walt Disney has been paraphrased with We make money to make more movies.
If not for big profit margins on some films, movie making industry could not afford internal and external risks to be ambitious.
Gold standards themselves are subjective is more of less the point. If you fire of remakes and find them epherial, than you should not want them to keep a high box office unless you want more.
I feel like we're going down a rabbit hole regarding Five Night at Freddy's which I obviously haven't seen and have no opinion on one way or another. I will also admit that I used gold standard in an off-handed fashion and people are free to like what they like.

My only point was that I am very puzzled at the recent phenomenon of apparent fans getting out their calculators in anticipation of an upcoming Disney film when a) they don't even really know how Disney calculates whether a film was profitable and/or successful, and b) a substantial part of Disney's legacy was built on films that lost money at the box office during their initial run but became classics over time.

Last edited:

TsWade2

You know what? I’m getting sick and tired of people on X.com formerly known as Twitter want to boycott Wish and suggested it’ll flop which I know that opening to 50 million at the box office is not that bad. This whole internet is just getting sad! I don’t what I should blame, but sometimes on the internet makes me nervous about the real box office results of Wish. I know Disney is not going to be bankrupt and shutdown, but everybody is making me nervous about it!

celluloid

My only point was that I am very puzzled at the recent phenomenon of apparent fans getting out their calculators in anticipation of an upcoming Disney film when a) they don't even really know how Disney calculates whether a film was profitable and/or successful, and b) a substantial part of Disney's legacy was built on films that lost money at the box office during their initial run but became classics over time.

People want the business they like to do well, or else it is not around in the same fashion anymore. If a movie you like profits well, you get more like it, weather it is a sequel, genre or risk.

When a theme park is well attended, you theoretically get the company investing back in the product in competitive moves and risks in the marketplace.

No recent phenomenon at all. The only difference now from decade(s) ago is we have a lot more communication and box office numbers are more transparent. It is timely because entertainment giants are not doing well with executives in the media for not playing nicely and movies are about to have even larger budgets due to shifting business practices.

Could you define your term for apparent fans? Are you only a fan of if you are excited about every product and want more of everything a company produces? Can you not be a fan but still point out business disappointments, even if you still enjoyed the product?

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

People want the business they like to do well, or else it is not around in the same fashion anymore. If a movie you like profits well, you get more like it, weather it is a sequel, genre or risk.

When a theme park is well attended, you theoretically get the company investing back in the product in competitive moves and risks in the marketplace.

No recent phenomenon at all. The only difference now from decade(s) ago is we have a lot more communication and box office numbers are more transparent. It is timely because entertainment giants are not doing well with executives in the media for not playing nicely and movies are about to have even larger budgets due to shifting business practices.

Could you define your term for apparent fans? Are you only a fan of if you are excited about every product and want more of everything a company produces? Can you not be a fan but still point out business disappointments, even if you still enjoyed the product?
One aspect that stands out as more recent is that all of this talk about profitability starts before anyone has seen the film and thus knows whether they want to see more or less of it. In terms of discussing the film's budget, what do you want them to have cut from the budget of Wish to make it more profitable without making it less of a film you would want to see?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
One aspect that stands out as more recent is that all of this talk about profitability starts before anyone has seen the film and thus knows whether they want to see more or less of it. In terms of discussing the film's budget, what do you want them to have cut from the budget of Wish to make it more profitable without making it less of a film you would want to see?

I find it a bit odd that they started face character meet and greets before the film is released.

Sir_Cliff

I find it a bit odd that they started face character meet and greets before the film is released.
They used to do that for every film. It's only relatively recently they have taken their time to have meet-and-greets or walk around characters for their films, if they have them at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom