Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

mickEblu

I thought it looked fine enough until I saw the last trailer of Asha singing “Rosas.” Not sure I’m liking those backgrounds. Looks very flat in a way that never bothered me with 2D animation. Can’t quite articulate why yet. Might get that $90 refund and take the family to see Trolls 3 instead. The kids are more excited for that one anyway even if I’d rather see an original movie like Wish.

EDIT: ok took me a couple minutes… I think 3D animation in front of flat backgrounds doesn’t work. With 2D everything blends so it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb. This approach makes it feel like the characters are dancing on paper as opposed to being in a real 3D world. Really bold choice for the movie celebrating their 100th anniversary.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

For most of Disneyland's history, no adults would go to Disneyland alone because it was seen as a place for little kids. People looked at you weird that you would voluntarily go to Disneyland without children. Now you have adults wishing Disney would band children from the parks so they can treat it as their own social hangout.
The October 1962 issue of National Geographic had an article on Disneyland that ended with a joke about how they might one day build a Disneyland for children because so many adults visited the park.

Phroobar

Twilight_Roxas

That's bad. Five Nights at Freddy's did $150 million in it's opening weekend AND was on Peacock at the same time.

Maybe Disney should do that with Wish?
That’s kinda what Iger didn’t want to happen. Plus the Black Widow lawsuit, and the premium access was because of the pandemic.

DKampy

Exsv
That's bad. Five Nights at Freddy's did $150 million in it's opening weekend AND was on Peacock at the same time.

Maybe Disney should do that with Wish?
Except 5 nights of Freddy is a franchise fans have been wanting to see in film form… it also benefited being a Horror movie opening on Halloween weekend

Wish is a completely original film… no original movies typically open huge these days… it takes word of mouth… I don’t know how much money it will make and if Wish will be consider a success, but Zi do know it will make more money then Freddy in theaters

Phroobar

Exsv

Except 5 nights of Freddy is a franchise fans have been wanting to see in film form… it also benefited being a Horror movie opening on Halloween weekend

Wish is a completely original film… no original movies typically open huge these days… it takes word of mouth… I don’t know how much money it will make and if Wish will be consider a success, but Zi do know it will make more money then Freddy in theaters
Wish is part of the Disney Princess franchise that no one has been waiting for except on Disney+.

Wish is projected at $50million opening holiday weekend. FNAF did $150million opening holiday weekend. Also FNAF was made for $25 million while Wish at over $200 million. FNAF return on investment was 3x. That means wish would need 1.5 billion at opening to equal the return so quickly.

LittleBuford

Why are Disney fans angry at Disney for spending money to make artistically superior films? “Bloated budgets” are part and parcel of Disney’s animation history, associated with some of the most venerable films ever produced by the studio (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Sleeping Beauty).

DKampy

Wish is part of the Disney Princess franchise that no one has been waiting for except on Disney+.

Wish is projected at $50million opening holiday weekend. FNAF did $150million opening holiday weekend. Also FNAF was made for $25 million while Wish at over $200 million. FNAF return on investment was 3x. That means wish would need 1.5 billion at opening to equal the return so quickly.
I don’t know if it will the same profit in relation to its budget… or enough to be consider a success against Freddy’s… but I am just going by dollars The theaters
make and it will be more

I would think Freddy’s won’t make much more now that we are past Halloween. It is also a movie that fans seem to like but everybody else does not

Wish has holiday season to go through without much competition… it will depend on word of mouth rather it will be a success or not

BuddyThomas

I don’t know if it will the same profit in relation to its budget… or enough to be consider a success against Freddy’s… but I am just going by dollars The theaters
make and it will be more

I would think Freddy’s won’t make much more now that we are past Halloween. It is also a movie that fans seem to like but everybody else does not

Wish has holiday season to go through without much competition… it will depend on word of mouth rather it will be a success or not
Freddie’s is apparently down 78% this weekend and it is only 30% positive on Rotten Tomatoes, which I think is generous because I saw it, and it’s just not good at all.

Miss Rori

Why are Disney fans angry at Disney for spending money to make artistically superior films? “Bloated budgets” are part and parcel of Disney’s animation history, associated with some of the most venerable films ever produced by the studio (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Sleeping Beauty).
Well, out of control budgets also are associated with stuff like The Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet, and Strange World.

celluloid

Freddie’s is apparently down 78% this weekend and it is only 30% positive on Rotten Tomatoes, which I think is generous because I saw it, and it’s just not good at all.

Still doing great considering it is number one and is wildly known to be available on Peacock, and it is post Halloween Pre Thanksgiving release time.

Audience score is much higher than the RT critic score.

DKampy

Still doing great considering it is number one and is wildly known to be available on Peacock, and it is post Halloween Pre Thanksgiving release time.

Audience score is much higher than the RT critic score.
Does not mean it was good… if it was a better movie it would of held on at least a little bit better… 78% is one of the worst declines I have seen… but it still made a decent profit…so good on it

celluloid

Does not mean it was good… if it was a better movie it would of held on at least a little bit better… 78% is one of the worst declines I have seen… but it still made a decent profit…so good on it

It's called front loaded in the industry. I don't know many horror movies that could hold on when having a record October opening. It premiered with fandom and was a PG13 horror release before Halloween falling on an early Tuesday.
I also don't know of a bigger opening for a same Day Streaming platform.
Also the most streamed media on Peacock. And it still did bangers in theaters.
Some of you downplaying it are the same ones who overhype Encanto's release under similar circumstances.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom