Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

celluloid

Black Widow had $80.3M day and date opening, which is bigger than the $80M day and date opening for Freddy.

So nothing against Freddy, but its not the biggest day and date opening.
Not quite. Double check your fact there as Black Widow was a paid additional VOD premier access, not included with membership.
Five Nights at Freddy's was same day included with it's streaming service. All the more impressive.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not quite. Double check your fact there as Black Widow was a paid additional premier access, not included.
Five Nights at Freddy's was same way included with it's streaming service. All the mode impressive.
Black Widow was still considered a "day and date" release, even if it was for "extra cost" via Premier Access. So your weird qualifier aside, BW still had a larger opening at the box office.

This was all noted here -

"Freddy’s earns the #2 day-and-date opening, coming only -3% behind 2021’s Black Widow (which debuted in theaters and on Disney+) with $80.3M."

Again this is not to take away from Freddy, but its #2 in the opening for day-and-date releases.

celluloid

Not a weird qualifier. A reasonable person sees the difference between included on a streaming platform and paying for on demand at home. You are the only one who ever used the day and date release phrase. So don't use quotes like I did while finding an article to look for your own misquote.
This is why I said same day on a streaming platform originally when you quoted me. Not same day available at home. Against if one is being reasonable, they don't have to call it a weird qualifier. This movie made 80 million when many could have(and did)watch it at no cost at home.
Glad you brought it up though. It makes this 80 million all the more impressive.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not a weird qualifier. A reasonable person sees the difference between included on a streaming platform and paying for on demand at home. You are the only one who ever used the day and date release phrase.
This is why I said same day on a streaming platform originally when you quoted me. Not same day available at home. Against if one is being reasonable, they don't have to call it a weird qualifier. This movie made 80 million when many could ha e watched it free at home.
Day-and-date is a term that is used very commonly in the industry for simultaneous releasing in theaters and on streaming or digital whether for extra cost or not, and has been used here on this site before when discussing the same. So no I'm not the only one even if you haven't see it before.

If the industry is saying that Freddy is #2, well then you disagree with them not me. I'm just repeating what the industry says, and quoted the commonly used industry site where it says the same.

celluloid

Day-and-date is a term that is used very commonly in the industry for simultaneous releasing in theaters and on streaming or digital whether for extra cost or not, and has been used here on this site before when discussing the same. So no I'm not the only one even if you haven't see it before.

If the industry is saying that Freddy is #2, well then you disagree with them not me. I'm just repeating what the industry says, and quoted the site where it says the same.
I understand the term. I have seen it before. I did not use it. You quoted a site that used the qualifier the context semantic you brought in. I get what they meant. While you quoted me, you likely should have understood the context everyone is speaking of and how being included on a streaming service and still making 80 million vs an extra fee to purchase through a platform and pulling 80.3 million are two different situations.

As I said, the Black Widow factoid just made this all the more impressive. Many saw it included at home, and it still made close to Black Widow's opening weekend that no one got included.

You do see the difference right?

DKampy

It's called front loaded in the industry. I don't know many horror movies that could hold on when having a record October opening. It premiered with fandom and was a PG13 horror release before Halloween falling on an early Tuesday.
I also don't know of a bigger opening for a same Day Streaming platform.
Also the most streamed media on Peacock. And it still did bangers in theaters.
Some of you downplaying it are the same ones who overhype Encanto's release under similar circumstances.
I know what’s it’s called… and I expected it to have a big drop off… horror movies drop off usually mid to upper 60… not close to 80%… that’s about as large a drop off I have seen

celluloid

I know what’s it’s called… and I expected it to have a big drop off… horror movies drop off usually mid to upper 60… not close to 80%… that’s about as large a drop off I have seen
Only 4 movies have had a higher October opening. This and the fact people could watch it with free trial or included at home. That is why you rarely if ever have seen it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I understand the term. I have seen it before. I did not use it. You quoted a site that used the qualifier the context semantic you brought in. I get what they meant. While you quoted me, you likely should have understood the context everyone is speaking of and how being included on a streaming service and still making 80 million vs an extra fee to purchase through a platform and pulling 80.3 million are two different situations.

As I said, the Black Widow factoid just made this all the more impressive. Many saw it included at home, and it still made close to Black Widow's opening weekend that no one got included.

You do see the difference right?
If you understand the term, even if you don't use it, then you understand how its used and that doesn't mean "only for free at home counts". It means all same day releases in both theaters and on any streaming platform or digital or VOD or whatever whether there is a cost or not.

So what you're disagreeing with is the industry, not me.

Also I've already said this is not to take away anything from Freddy's performance at the box office. There is nothing wrong with being #2 in this context its still really good.

celluloid

If you understand the term, even if you don't use it, then you understand how its used and that doesn't mean "only for free at home counts". It means all same day releases in both theaters and on any streaming platform or digital or VOD or whatever whether there is a cost or not.

So what you're disagreeing with is the industry, not me.

Also I've already said this is not to take away anything from Freddy's performance at the box office. There is nothing wrong with being #2 in this context its still really good.

I never said anything about the term

Again, my point was simple, no other movie has done what this one did.
Do you see the difference?

DKampy

Only 4 movies have had a higher October opening. This and the fact people could watch it with free trial or included at home. That is why you rarely if ever have seen it.
I get all that… I was just responding to your comment how great the movie was doing this weekend still… I don’t see it that way with the huge drop off and there is also not much competition…. This was one of the worst weekends of the year for theaters… it was originally projected to decline by 69%… but it ended up decreasing 10% more… if this was a Disney movie you would be screaming failure even with the day and date

celluloid

I get all that… I was just responding to your comment how great the movie was doing this weekend still… I don’t see it that way with the huge drop off and there is also not much competition…. date
I never said it was doing amazing for its second weekend. You responded to me saying people who have seen it, audience score generally say it's good.(my post was responding to RT and referencing audience score) Considering it can be viewed with a free trial or membership at home, and breaking into top five October openings of all time and being a post Halloween weekend horror movie makes sense.

Fun fact: this is probably the first time a Jim Henson effect based film has been number one for two weeks in a row in decades.

As for the screaming Disney Failure. If HM re.ake would have made 200 it's opening weekend and second weekend pulled in 40 million and trickled in millions from there. It would have been a front loaded success.
ROI is what matters. Five nights made three times it's budget in it's opening weekend domestically alone. Disney's movies make too little for what they cost.(speaking if no competition. HM remake had little by the time it came out and a three day weekend.

Last edited:

DKampy

I never said it was doing amazing for its second weekend. You responded to me saying people who have seen it, audience score generally say it's good.(my post was responding to RT and referencing audience score) Considering it can be viewed with a free trial or membership at home, and breaking into top five October openings of all time and being a post Halloween weekend horror movie makes sense.

Fun fact, this is probably the first time a Jim Henson effect based film has been number one for two weeks in a row in decades.
it is a divisive movie… fans of the game like it… with being able to recognize their favorite YouTubers and Easter Eggs or whatever… people who have not played the games feels it is a poor horror movie… I have seen it… I agree with critics, but I never played the game

celluloid

it is a divisive movie… fans of the game like it… with being able to recognize their favorite YouTubers and Easter Eggs or whatever… people who have not played the games feels it is a poor horror movie… I have seen it… I agree with critics, but I never played the game
Never played the game, son has read the books, never played the games. We saw it and enjoyed it, but the RT still takes the average audience score. And its hung above average.
The divisive thing could be said about many films. Barbie had so much hate. Elemental many found boring. It's not a mass hated movie. If anything it's either loved or there as an
other PG13 Blumhouse flick. A massive hit one.

Last edited:

DKampy

Never played the game, son has read the books, never played the games. We saw it and enjoyed it, but the RT still takes the average audience score. And its hung above average.
The divisive thing could be said about many films. Barbie had so much hate. Elemental many found boring. It's not a mass hated movie. If anything it's either loved or there as an
other PG13 Blumhouse flick. A massive hit one.
I guess I am sheltered by some of it… the only hate I have seen on Barbie is certain YouTubers who I don’t put much stock into as they have a political agenda… I never heard any hate on Elemental… the worst I heard was not top tier Pixar , but still decent

But your right anybody can like what they like… at the end of the day it’s all just opinions… all films are subjective…

celluloid

I guess I am sheltered by some of it… the only hate I have seen on Barbie is certain YouTubers who I don’t put much stock into as they have a political agenda… I never heard any hate on Elemental… the worst I heard was not top tier Pixar , but still decent

But your right anybody can like what they like… at the end of the day it’s all just opinions… all films are subjective…

Kid you not, at the start of Barbie's credits at the theater I was at, a woman stood up and turned to friends, and some strangers including at us behind her looking around stating loudly "I hated it, I hated it, it was awful." Wife and I have joked about it since as we don't understand the need for someone to let everyone else in the theater know what they thought as people were getting up to leave or chilling with the credits.

DKampy

Kid you not, at the start of Barbie's credits at the theater I was at, a woman stood up and turned to friends, and some strangers including at us behind her looking around stating loudly "I hated it, I hated it, it was awful." Wife and I have joked about it since as we don't understand the need for someone to let everyone else in the theater know what they thought as people were getting up to leave or chilling with the credits.
That is bizarre

Tha Realest

Does not mean it was good… if it was a better movie it would of held on at least a little bit better… 78% is one of the worst declines I have seen… but it still made a decent profit…so good on it
What are you going to say in two weeks when Marvels opens substantially smaller AND has a drop in the 60-70% range?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom