Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

TP2000

No one knows what the opening is going to be yet. The movie has not yet been seen and the reviews have not started to come out. Even though I have him blocked, I notice that TP has posted the laughing with glee emoji below, which is quite telling. As usual, he and others on here are actively rooting for the movie to fail. Some of you people are not Disney fans at all. It’s becoming pretty ridiculous.

I was laughing at his Wish Asha legs NSFW joke, which was funny. And so I laughed.

I seem to still be in your head a lot. When are you finally going to ask me out? 🥰

TP2000

One thing that Wish simply has to do at the box office is make more overseas than it makes domestically.

Yes, the domestic box office projection for Wish is alarmingly low and on a downward trend. But the overseas box office could save it. The last three Disney flops all had overseas box office that was less than the already bad United States domestic box office, which meant the final financials for those films were disastrous.

On the flip side, Frozen II had strong domestic box office that was then more than doubled by its overseas box office! That's what needs to happen for Wish. If Wish only eeks out $275 Million at the domestic box office, it simply needs to double that overseas for a $550 Million overseas total. That gets Wish to break even and a modest profit.

The overseas box office reactions to Strange World, Lightyear and Little Mermaid can not happen again for Wish.

It Sounds So Foreign!.jpg

TsWade2

No one knows what the opening is going to be yet. The movie has not yet been seen and the reviews have not started to come out. Even though I have him blocked, I notice that TP has posted the laughing with glee emoji below, which is quite telling. As usual, he and others on here are actively rooting for the movie to fail. Some of you people are not Disney fans at all. It’s becoming pretty ridiculous.
I agree! This is almost as worst as WDWPro’s stupid Youtube video saying that Wish is going to flop.

Miss Rori

It’s not a super great opening, but has the possibility of getting close to break even by virtue of being an animated film. That said, it’s closed off from IMAX screens (Napoleon and Beyonce get those) and has some other family competition over the holidays. Elemental had all summer to itself for the most part from a family entertainment standpoint
I don't think Trolls Band Together or The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes are going to be so big that it would be an excuse for Wish not having a strong opening weekend in the face of Disney's hype. And after Wish opens it's 3-plus weeks before any direct competition (Wonka, on the 15th) arrives -- or mainstream wide releases for that matter aside from the Beyonce concert. If Wish can't manage strong week-to-week holds in that time frame, there is no excuse Disney can make for it that isn't covering for "audiences aren't interested" and/or "word of mouth is poor". I'm really interested in the professional critical reviews on this one and whether they'll be any help, depending on when the embargo is lifted. For that matter, will the sneak previews on the 18th help or hurt it, the latter being what happened with The Flash?

Disstevefan1

I don't think Trolls Band Together or The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes are going to be so big that it would be an excuse for Wish not having a strong opening weekend in the face of Disney's hype. And after Wish opens it's 3-plus weeks before any direct competition (Wonka, on the 15th) arrives -- or mainstream wide releases for that matter aside from the Beyonce concert. If Wish can't manage strong week-to-week holds in that time frame, there is no excuse Disney can make for it that isn't covering for "audiences aren't interested" and/or "word of mouth is poor". I'm really interested in the professional critical reviews on this one and whether they'll be any help, depending on when the embargo is lifted. For that matter, will the sneak previews on the 18th help or hurt it, the latter being what happened with The Flash?
Wait - Wish must compete with The Beyonce concert??

Forgetaboutit - its over - Wish will lose.

BuddyThomas

That’s a whole lotta “ifs”. Best to sit back and calm down until the film is reviewed and released and then you and the WDWMagic Disney Hate Club can pounce with all your doom and gloom, if warranted.

TsWade2

If I was the one who started this doom and gloom outbreak, I apologize. I'll try to work on that. In my defense, I blame the pandemic for making me acting like that.

Disstevefan1

You're a Disney fan isn't that part of the target demographic? I don't think it is limited to grammar school girls.

I have never played Five Nights at Freddy's but I watched the movie on streaming and I do want to see the sequel but I will not start playing the video game.

I am a Disney fan, and I will watch the movie on streaming, but I am not who they are targeting; I am not young, I do not identify with Asha, I will not buy Wish merch, well maybe family members may get pins, see Disney always get you! :)

Phroobar

I have never played Five Nights at Freddy's but I watched the movie on streaming and I do want to see the sequel but I will not start playing the video game.

I am a Disney fan, and I will watch the movie on streaming, but I am not who they are targeting; I am not young, I do not identify with Asha, I will not buy Wish merch, well maybe family members may get pins, see Disney always get you! :)
Disney's bread and butter was always parents with small children. When I was a kid I saw only Disney movies until Star Wars came out. Then I didn't see Disney movies anymore in the theaters.

With the success of the Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast adults started to see Disney movies . Now Disney expects adults to see them whether or not they have children. I think that demographic has swung back again. Disney is becoming less hip and safe. This time, parents aren't bringing their children to see them. They will wait for the dvd, streaming or review.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney's bread and butter was always parents with small children. When I was a kid I saw only Disney movies until Star Wars came out. Then I didn't see Disney movies anymore in the theaters.

With the success of the Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast adults started to see Disney movies . Now Disney expects adults to see them whether or not they have children. I think that demographic has swung back again. Disney is becoming less hip and safe. This time, parents aren't bringing their children to see them. They will wait for the dvd, streaming or review.
I don’t know about hip but I’ve never seen anything unsafe. That’s kind of a strong word.

Phroobar

I don’t know about hip but I’ve never seen anything unsafe. That’s kind of a strong word.
Are you saying the last twenty years Disney has not been hip?

For most of Disneyland's history, no adults would go to Disneyland alone because it was seen as a place for little kids. People looked at you weird that you would voluntarily go to Disneyland without children. Now you have adults wishing Disney would band children from the parks so they can treat it as their own social hangout.

Chi84

Premium Member
Are you saying the last twenty years Disney has not been hip?

For most of Disneyland's history, no adults would go to Disneyland alone because it was seen as a place for little kids. People looked at you weird that you would voluntarily go to Disneyland without children. Now you have adults wishing Disney would band children from the parks so they can treat it as their own social hangout.
I was talking about Disney movies and I said I didn’t know about being hip. I haven’t been to Disneyland for ages. Weren’t you talking about movies?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom