Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is ‘Wish’ using the same animation style that the Spiderverse movies? What do they call this style?
"on twos"

The artists made a bigger decision to break with the way most computer-animated motion is achieved. Usually movements are created by advancing the image — say, a character raising his arm — in each frame, 24 times per second. It’s called “animating on one’s.” The resulting motion is fluid and smooth, but it can look too regular, even stolid.​
Having worked at Disney with the Oscar-winning animator Glen Keane (whose characters include Aladdin, Beast and Tarzan), Persichetti wanted to borrow ideas from hand-drawn techniques. In traditional animation, much of the movement is done “on two’s”: A new drawing is made or the image shifted every second frame. Using animation on two’s gave the artists more control over the speed and power of the movements. Much of the animation in classic Disney features and Warner Bros. cartoons was done on two’s.​
Working on one’s and two’s let the artists vary the rhythms of movements. When a scared Miles dashes through a snowy forest, his run is animated on one’s to emphasize his speed. When he stumbles and falls, he rises on two’s as he slowly pushes against gravity to get back on his feet. And when he leaps from skyscraper to skyscraper, the animation crackles with an energy it might otherwise lack. The motions themselves become exciting to watch.​
The animation also allows the filmmakers to stress dynamic poses that telegraph how Miles is leaping and spinning through Manhattan.​

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Is ‘Wish’ using the same animation style that the Spiderverse movies? What do they call this style?
From what I've seen, Wish isn't using "on twos."

They seem to be using 3D CGI that goes through a filter to make it look flatter, like cel shading. Then they use more matte colorization on characters and water-color-like backgrounds. The overall effect is as if it was drawn and colored on paper.

It's a distinctive look. And that invites "don't like it" from some folk because they don't even give it a chance because it's not what they're used to. One has to immerse oneself in the art style to truly understand it. This means watching the whole movie and not a minute trailer.

It's funny how some people hold the original Beauty and the Beast as one of the typical standards of hand-drawn animation when, in fact, much of the background was CGI, especially noticeable in the ballroom dance scene.

Ghost93

It's funny how some people hold the original Beauty and the Beast as one of the typical standards of hand-drawn animation when, in fact, much of the background was CGI, especially noticeable in the ballroom dance scene.
Beauty and the Beast is an excellent movie, but it had the sloppiest animation of the Disney Renaissance, with characters often going off-model and the quality looking Saturday morning cartoon level at points.

Ghost93

I like the tune of most of the "Wish" songs, but so far, I dislike the lyrics. It's hard to explain, but they seem over-complicated and use more words than necessary. Maybe they will grow on me.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Disney Analyst

Sharing here also.

Let the feast begin: Thanksgiving releases and awards season contenders, Disney‘s Wish and Apple Original Films and Sony‘s Napoleon are set to open over the Wednesday to Sunday holiday stretch with respective grosses of $50M+ and $24M+. Both movies open on Thanksgiving eve, Nov. 22.

Wish, if it hits its projection, would rep the biggest original animated opening in the past six years since 2017’s Coco which did $72.9M over five days; also a Thanksgiving Disney release. Families and females are showing the best support at the moment. The song “This is the Thanks I Get” performed by Chris Pine dropped recently last week and has been spurring interest for the movie that stars Oscar winner Ariana DeBose.

Miss Rori

It's interesting to remember that original animations do tend to have weaker openings than their sequels do. (Coco also opened just 5 days after Justice League, which might have cut into its first weekend somewhat. For reference, JL was seen as an underperformer in its 3-day-plus-previews opening with $93.8 million.) Still, for the centennial Disney movie and first princess-style musical (depending on what you regard Encanto as) since Frozen II, that projected 5-day take seems awfully low. How poorly is this tracking?

Tha Realest

It’s not a super great opening, but has the possibility of getting close to break even by virtue of being an animated film. That said, it’s closed off from IMAX screens (Napoleon and Beyonce get those) and has some other family competition over the holidays. Elemental had all summer to itself for the most part from a family entertainment standpoint

TP2000

Really poorly tracking at about $50 mil for the thanksgiving 5-day.

Oh, never type "Wish Asha legs" at work. NSFW.

I too was alarmed at first, but it's a misleading and poorly written article. The 5 day Thanksgiving weekend projection for Wish is actually averaging out to around $72 Million. That's still bad news, but not nearly as catastrophic as the incorrect headline and article claiming only $50 Million.

Although, box office projections for Wish did decline by 7% from last week, so the momentum is heading downward and not upward. Not good.

Uh Oh 1.jpg

Uh Oh 3.jpg

TsWade2

Oh come on you guys! It’s not that bad! Just give it time! I’m sorry, but you guys are just jumping to conclusions. Give it a couple of weeks and we’ll see what happens. $50 million in the box office isn’t that bad. Geez! And I thought I was being dramatic!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Really poorly tracking at about $50 mil for the thanksgiving 5-day.

Oh, never type "Wish Asha legs" at work. NSFW.
No one knows what the opening is going to be yet. The movie has not yet been seen and the reviews have not started to come out. Even though I have him blocked, I notice that TP has posted the laughing with glee emoji below, which is quite telling. As usual, he and others on here are actively rooting for the movie to fail. Some of you people are not Disney fans at all. It’s becoming pretty ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom