Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Tha Realest

Do you use overseas projections in that thread? That's what I'm lamenting.
You dismiss the domestic opening week projections as unreliable. I look forward to your addressing them after the actual domestic opening weekend numbers come in.

Can you point us to some overseas projections sites or sources that you seem to imply he’s intentionally ignoring?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You dismiss the domestic opening week projections as unreliable. I look forward to your addressing them after the actual domestic opening weekend numbers come in.

Can you point us to some overseas projections sites or sources that you seem to imply he’s intentionally ignoring?
I seem to remember alot of scoffing at declaring TLM “dead” in July…because it was “too soon” due to international

It made about $20 total after that point…you silly Disney doubters 🙄

The reality is that all the BO is made up front…which is ironic because there was this dude who totally praised that concept with awful Star Wars sequels when they flatlined at 3 weeks. Total halt.

So ok then…but now it’s all “you can’t say that” when the bloom has fallen off the Bobs Rose.

Funny how that works?

Tha Realest

I seem to remember alot of scoffing at declaring TLM “dead” in July…because it was “too soon” due to international

It made about $20 total after that point…you silly Disney doubters 🙄

The reality is that all the BO is made up front…which is ironic because there was this dude who totally praised that concept with awful Star Wars sequels when they flatlined at 3 weeks. Total halt.

So ok then…but now it’s all “you can’t say that” when the bloom has fallen off the Bobs Rose.

Funny how that works?
Remember when we were scolded for suggesting all indications (financial or otherwise) were that the Galactic Starcruiser was failing and wouldn’t last long? Now we know it never turned a profit and had “sailings” as low as 20% occupancy. However, no acknowledgement or mea culpa he had it wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Remember when we were scolded for suggesting all indications (financial or otherwise) were that the Galactic Starcruiser was failing and wouldn’t last long? Now we know it never turned a profit and had “sailings” as low as 20% occupancy. However, no acknowledgement or mea culpa he had it wrong.
Because it’s all about “magic”
Dude…don’t be so obtuse 🤓

TP2000

Do you use overseas projections in that thread? That's what I'm lamenting.

So far, I think we've only used Box Office Pro stats. I wasn't the one to start mentioning that a few weeks ago, I forget who it was, but I had no idea Box Office Pro existed until recently. It's really interesting forward-looking projections they use.

But you are correct, as far as I know or can see without buying an industry subscription, Box Office Pro is using domestic figures in their projection. It's not too hard to extrapolate how those films will do overseas from that, but it's an imperfect science as any predictions are.

Do you have a source for overseas box office projections you can share with us? Does that product exist?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So far, I think we've only used Box Office Pro stats. I wasn't the one to start mentioning that a few weeks ago, I forget who it was, but I had no idea Box Office Pro existed until recently. It's really interesting forward-looking projections they use.

But you are correct, as far as I know or can see without buying an industry subscription, Box Office Pro is using domestic figures in their projection. It's not too hard to extrapolate how those films will do overseas from that, but it's an imperfect science as any predictions are.

Do you have a source for overseas box office projections you can share with us? Does that product exist?
Considering that Disney movies tend to pull a heavier drawn of domestic than most other studios…I’m not really sure why it matters?

BrianLo

Off of what? DVD sales? Disney+ has lost $11 Billion since 2019, so we can't count Disney+ for any profit for anything.

Adjusted for inflation, Moana had a production budget of $182 Million and made $94 Million at the box office.

Moana: Production $182, Marketing $90, Domestic B.O. $181, Overseas B.O. $185 = $94 Million Profit

Moana's DVD sales were $147 Million combined DVD/BluRay. I have absolutely no idea how much profit a studio makes off of selling a DVD set at Target, but let's pretend it's a 50% cut of the profits? (I'd love it if someone could swoop in and correct that if it's wrong, with some facts on how much studios used to make off DVD sales when that was still a thing). That would give Disney a $74 Million profit off of the DVD/BluRay sales for Moana of the past seven years.

So until we have other info, it looks like Moana made $168 Million combined between theater box office and DVD sales.

I see you are double counting D+ loses again. I also take it Moana lost money when it was licensed to Netflix since that too was losing money at the time?

But No, I was actually referencing the 50 billion dollars in retail sales the Princess Brand has done. Usually does somewhere between 1.5-4 billion annually.

TP2000

So why does it lose money? Because according to you Moana is free.

Because it costs Disney more money to deliver the product to customers homes than what those customers are paying for it.

Disney+ loses Billions per year for the company. It has never generated a profit. It's a money pit.

BrianLo

Because it costs Disney more money to deliver the product to customers homes than what those customers are paying for it.

Disney+ loses Billions per year for the company. It has never generated a profit. It's a money pit.

Incorrect, content delivery is not the primary cost of the service. The primary cost of the service is paying for and buying content. That content is still paid regardless of how much the service itself loses.

3D4EFBFA-DB77-44E2-ABFE-1A9355506DDF.jpeg

TP2000

Incorrect, content delivery is not the primary cost of the service. The primary cost of the service is paying for and buying content. That content is still paid regardless of how much the service itself loses.

View attachment 751632

Disney+ has lost over $11 Billion since it began in 2019. In the last fiscal quarter it lost $512 Million.

Losses are not profits. And the revenues Disney receives from Disney+ customers have not yet generated a profit. The product of Disney+ costs more to create and distribute to customers than the money its customers pay for that product. It's that simple.

BrianLo

Disney+ has lost over $11 Billion since it began in 2019. In the last fiscal quarter it lost $512 Million.

Losses are not profits. And the revenues Disney receives from Disney+ customers have not yet generated a profit. The product of Disney+ costs more to create and distribute to customers than the money its customers pay for that product. It's that simple.

You have said the same thing over and over again. Yes D+ is not currently profitable. It doesn’t help the company as a whole. That’s not what we are talking about.

So where does the money go TP? Because you want to assure me it isn’t to Moana or the Studios. Where do they spend the money?

You are continuing to double count the loses by ignoring the 4 billion dollars a quarter D+ shunts to the Studios.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

If D+ didn't have to pay for content it would have made Billions in profit already. Its that simple....

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Wow, double context fail.

My original post for this sub-thread lamented that:

1. When considering whether a movie is profitable or not in its theatrical window, we use the global Box Office.​
2. However, for now, all the projections are about the domestic Box Office, not the global Box Office.​

Will the film have twice as much overseas Box Office as domestic or half as much? We don't know. And that's not being 'projected.' This makes the Domestic Box Office projections pretty useless as an indicator of overall profitability, which is based on global intake.

TP2000

Will the film have twice as much overseas Box Office as domestic or half as much? We don't know. And that's not being 'projected.' This makes the Domestic Box Office projections pretty useless as an indicator of overall profitability, which is based on global intake.

And yet, the domestic box office is a fairly good indicator for how well the movie will do overseas. Plus or minus 20%.

Wish is currently projected to have a domestic opening weekend of $45 to $65 Million. With a total box office projection for $185 to $289 Million domestically.

Wish had a production budget of $200 Million, and a likely marketing budget of $100 Million. It needs roughly $600 Million globally to break even. So if it makes $289 domestically, it needs $311 globally. Or worst case, if it only makes $185 domestically, it would need $415 globally to break even.

Based on current box office projections, Wish has an uphill battle to break even at the global box office right now. :oops:

Miss Rori

I think it's close to the core of Disney's recent woes is that they greenlit/started making a fair deal of these recent (and upcoming) titles before the pandemic and the upheavals to the international box office, at a point when stuff like the Beauty and the Beast remake was making money hand over fist and the MCU crowd came out for every title, and thus $200 million+ budgets didn't seem out of proportion. Other studios have seen their own disappointments since then for the same reasons (most obviously WB), but because Disney no longer makes low or mid-budget productions (except for Disney Plus, which of course isn't working out for them) they have to rely a lot more on a few eggs in one basket. I do have hopes that the company will weather this bad year and rethink their strategies going forward, but who knows?

I think the pandemic theatrical slowdown and the brief streaming boom that followed made Disney overconfident in D+'s possibilities, but also, they were overconfident in their own brands, figuring that if people were coming out for stuff like The Rise of Skywalker and Frozen II why wouldn't they come out for Eternals and Lightyear? But I think blind loyalty to franchises and studios snapped for a lot of moviegoers with the lack of forward momentum that the theatrical slowdown induced. Like people were looking back on turning out for something like The Lion King remake with regret and not wanting to make the same mistakes again.

Encanto and Elemental are genuinely loved films by their fans, but both were hamstrung financially by Disney's mistakes in marketing and distribution. With Wish, it took longer than it probably should have but they've certainly been going to town on promotional efforts in a way I can't recall for one of their (or poor Pixar's) animated films since Frozen II, which was the last pre-pandemic title (depending on how one looks at Onward). But so far, I don't think there's much adult enthusiasm for it except from the Disney Adult crowd; the song previews haven't yet yielded up a viral hit like "We Don't Talk About Bruno", the animation style's seen more criticism/apology than praise, and it just doesn't seem to have its own identity as a story.

If the first weekend underwhelms as predicted, it will look bad; it's only opening directly against Napoleon, a film with a completely different target market, though if Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes or Trolls Band Together breaks out that could make a difference. IF the word of mouth from kids and especially adults is good - and at this point that's a big if, there's really no advance buzz from anyone who's seen the whole movie as yet, just bits and pieces of the opening half-hour - aside from Beyonce's concert movie it has NO wide release competition AT ALL until Wonka on December 15 and could have extremely strong holds the way Elemental did. But that still wouldn't be enough against the budget. Basically, this movie needs to grow its audience the way Beauty and the Beast did in 1991 (when it opened in third place but ran and ran and ran), if that's even possible now...and I think that will only happen if it's Beauty and the Beast good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom