Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Ghost93

It's not a bad song, but not what I was hoping for. I like my villain songs to have more of a sinister vibe. "Be Prepared," "Poor Unfortunate Souls" and "Friends on the Other Side" managed to be fun, while also fairly dark. "This is the Thanks I Get" feels like one of Sharpay's numbers from High School Musical.

Tha Realest

Uh oh.

1698349260158.png

TP2000

Depends on how much it cost to make. Im just flabbergasted at how high the budgets are for their films these days...

Here's how Wish compares to 2016's Moana, adjusted for inflation because 2016 dollars are notably smaller for all of us.

This is assuming that Wish comes in mid-range on its current box office forecasts domestically. In this scenario listed below, Wish will lose approximately $17 Million at the global box office.

Wishing For Better Box Office.jpg

Disstevefan1

Here's how Wish compares to 2016's Moana, adjusted for inflation because 2016 dollars are notably smaller for all of us.

This is assuming that Wish comes in mid-range on its current box office forecasts domestically. In this scenario listed below, Wish will lose approximately $17 Million at the global box office.

View attachment 751060
Only losing 17M is actually REALLY GOOD compared to many Disney's movies lately....
Therefore Wish will be a HUGE SUCCESS as Disney views it.

Tha Realest

What is the uh oh for… if Wish grosses are near the upper reaches of the domestic total ranges then it will be up there with Moana’s box office take… and I believe most people consider that film to be a success
Moana cost $50M less to make, inflation has increased a lot in the years since, and it’s not going to get IMAX screens thanks to Napoleon and Beyoncé. I don’t think it will match Moana’s totals not even accounting for inflation.

Jedijax719

The thing that has struck me the most about all the clips and trailers is that Asha is from a Mediterranean culture but comes across as a Rapunzel/Anna hybrid, just with darker hair and skin. And Chris Pine's character is just, well, an animated Chris Pine. There's no cultural connection except for the landscape.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here’s a crazy idea:

Disney wants and frankly EXPECTS $1,000,000,000 box office for this…on the low end.

But let’s lay down some cover fire a month before open, shall we? 🙄

2023: the year of Deja Dud

DKampy

Moana cost $50M less to make, inflation has increased a lot in the years since, and it’s not going to get IMAX screens thanks to Napoleon and Beyoncé. I don’t think it will match Moana’s totals not even accounting for inflation.
The budget I saw Moana cost 175 million and it made 248….. so if Wish were to reach 289 that is 40 million above Moana… these are domestic only numbers too… not worldwide…so even with inflation that led me to conclude that if it were to get that high… it wouldbe on par with Moana… at any rate those projections don’t scream that Disney is in trouble with Wish for me

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where is the source on that?
Really?

Same ole ____, huh?

Gonna tell me how much Disney charges Disney for Disney plus too?

The shareholders love that. 👍🏻

How bout this: let’s see what the numbers are? And then you can tell me $1 is a huge success and I can tell you not covering the budget and marketing is a loss?

…We’ll try sumpin different this time around the wheel 😎

TP2000

The budget I saw Moana cost 175 million and it made 248….. so if Wish were to reach 289 that is 40 million above Moana… these are domestic only numbers too… not worldwide…so even with inflation that led me to conclude that if it were to get that high… it wouldbe on par with Moana… at any rate those projections don’t scream that Disney is in trouble with Wish for me

The fabulous The Numbers site allows you to toggle on the "Inflation" numbers to get to a current analogy for financials.

Here's the Adjusted For Inflation numbers for 2016's Moana, compared to 2023's estimated Wish numbers (again)...

Wishing For Better Box Office.jpg

Adjusted for inflation, Wish is tracking well below Moana for domestic opening weekend and domestic total theatrical run. When you add in a similarly scaled overseas box office to that, Wish does more than $150 Million less than Moana at the global box office. And thus, Wish fails to break even and loses money for Disney in its theatrical run.

And this is how they celebrate their 100th Anniversary? :oops:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The fabulous The Numbers site allows you to toggle on the "Inflation" numbers to get to a current analogy for financials.

Here's the Adjusted For Inflation numbers for 2016's Moana, compared to 2023's estimated Wish numbers (again)...

View attachment 751115

Adjusted for inflation, Wish is tracking well below Moana for domestic opening weekend and domestic total theatrical run. When you add in a similarly scaled overseas box office to that, Wish does more than $150 Million less than Moana at the global box office. And thus, Wish fails to break even and loses money for Disney in its theatrical run.

And this is how they celebrate their 100th Anniversary? :oops:

That’s pretty impressive…considering Moana overcame that still “hide your children” cringy SHINY song 😬

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom