Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

DKampy

My wife loves going to the cinema to watch movies… she however follows my lead since I follow what’s going on in film more then her and she trusts my judgements in that regard… the one area that is tough to convince her is Disney animated films as I am the bigger Disney fan( she does like it now though thanks to us meeting)and she sometimes see those as kids films… However the trailer popped on once before a movie( don’t remember which since we go often) and she leaned over said we need to see that… so yeah… I feel as it will be a hit

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I personally don't see much differences in the personalities of Asha, Mirabel, Anna and Rapunzel. They're all clumsy, quirky and adorkable. All Disney's recent heroines are the same - personality wise.
Well, it's a good thing, then, we have Elsa, Raya, Vanellope, Moana, and Tiana. ;)

CaptainAmerica

Princesses! Ignore that person. Eschew the hegemenonic shackles of regnant expectations and be free to be free!!!

encanto-mirabel-madrigal.gif

Miss Rori

Wow. I never would have thought of that. But I appreciate that you threw it out there for contemplation.

I haven't been to a church in decades (the Lutherans told me 45 years ago my "lifestyle" wasn't welcome), but I still talk to God regularly. Like most of us I imagine, I do wonder why some prayers go unanswered or seemingly ignored. That said, I can't imagine Disney would broach that topic in a family animated movie like Wish. Or... would they?
I don't think so. Skimming over interviews with the directors, they seem intent on people not reading socio-political messaging into the Asha v. Magnifico dynamic, so I can't imagine the film's broaching a religious allegory intentionally, especially right now when Disney's a religious right punching bag. But the premise of the film and the questions it brings up (i.e. why doesn't your dream come true when you wish upon a star?) certainly bring such readings to mind even if it wasn't intended.

Miss Rori

You're confusing "character" and "plot." The Anna "I'm a pretty princess but also awkward and I snore and say things like 'wait, what?' all the time so I'm relatable to millennial women" is so old at this point. Fairytale princesses should be aspirational and idealized, not relatable.

anna-frozen.gif

The last good Disney Princess was Tiana.
It's absolutely possible for a princess-type character to be relatable and aspirational, it's just that Disney does seem to have gone to the Anna-style well once too often. There are a fair deal of personality traits (positive and negative) these protagonists could be given that are rarely, if ever used -- shy, quiet, rowdy, intellectual, romantically forward, angry, standoffish, hyper-focused, pious, pessimistic, etc.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"The trailer for Walt Disney Animation’s upcoming movie, Wish, has become the studio’s biggest trailer since the release of promotional spots for Frozen 2 in 2019.

The spot earned 66.5 million views across online platforms, according to the company. It surpassed the teaser trailer, which was released in April, by almost 20 million views and has quickly become the most viewed Disney trailer on TikTok to date."

Disney Analyst

"The trailer for Walt Disney Animation’s upcoming movie, Wish, has become the studio’s biggest trailer since the release of promotional spots for Frozen 2 in 2019.

The spot earned 66.5 million views across online platforms, according to the company. It surpassed the teaser trailer, which was released in April, by almost 20 million views and has quickly become the most viewed Disney trailer on TikTok to date."

Let’s go!!!

TsWade2

Oh goodie! Hooray!😄 Take that you evil black pill users on YouTube!😈

brb1006

TsWade2

According to this article from IGN, the filmmakers actually considered on doing this movie in 2D animated format. The article explains why that never happened.
Which is why it‘s making me to give up hope of Disney doing more hand drawn animation. I guess Jennifer Lee hates hand drawn animation after all.😢😭

LittleBuford

According to this article from IGN, the filmmakers actually considered on doing this movie in 2D animated format. The article explains why that never happened.
It’s a great shame they didn’t go that route. I really hope we see a revival of hand-drawn Disney animation one day.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Which is why it‘s making me to give up hope of Disney doing more hand drawn animation. I guess Jennifer Lee hates hand drawn animation after all.😢😭

I don’t think it’ll ever will. Because she betrayed hand drawn animation.😢
I would not call it hate or betrayal, but rather an executive decision on the best format for the particular movie. Hand drawn as the article states has limitations give the time it takes to create the characters and the world surrounding them. CG just gives the animators a greater flexibility to build not only the characters but the worlds in which the characters intact. I think we’ll see Disney do hand drawn animation again, just not with Wish.

Prince-1

Yeah, I guess you did miss that part in Frozen. Because there was this sidekick, named Olaf. Which Anna definitely tried to protect, from melting if nothing else.

As for the Tangled reference, your comment might have some merit. Except that Asha does seem to be kind of a geek, which usually indicates a fish out of water. As for a romantic love interest - nah, this is the new Disney, and a new Disney woman don't need no man. Asha will no doubt beat up the evil King with her own little feminist fists, but she won't become Queen, because that's sexist and girly. She'll be elected president or something, like obnoxious little Vanellope in Wreck-It-Ralph. Doesn't that sound like fun? :rolleyes:

Man, you have some serious issues with strong female characters. It would be comical if it wasn't so laughably sad.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I would not call it hate or betrayal, but rather an executive decision on the best format for the particular movie. Hand drawn as the article states has limitations give the time it takes to create the characters and the world surrounding them. CG just gives the animators a greater flexibility to build not only the characters but the worlds in which the characters intact. I think we’ll see Disney do hand drawn animation again, just not with Wish.
The idea that they couldn’t have built the same world with hand-drawn animation makes no sense to me given the amazing things they achieved in the pre-CG age.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom