Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
It's hard to tell with Disney trailers. Frozen and Tangled had horrible trailers, but turned out to be quite good. Other movies with great trailers, like Brave and Lightyear, were mediocre.
These are my thoughts, too. After 2-3 watches, I'm not really feeling this film yet but then I remembered how Frozen was promoted and how great it actually was.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I may be reading waaaay too much into it, but I also wonder if the premise of Asha questioning King Magnifico is a commentary on religion — how God may or may not answer prayers and the seeming unfairness of allowing so much suffering. It's the first thing that jumped to mind when viewing the trailer.
I'm wondering if this will be one of those "life lesson" plots. Asha may think she's doing something grand and kind by granting all the wishes only to find out in the end there was a reason the King didn't grant all the wishes he was given.

LittleBuford

The story itself looks promising, and I'm pleased we'll (apparently) be getting a true villain. The only thing I'm not really feeling at this stage is the art style. I've never loved the look of the computer-animated films in relation to their hand-drawn forebears, but I'm having particular trouble with this one, at least based on the trailer. I can't quite put my finger on why that is.

Ghost93

The story itself looks promising, and I'm pleased we'll (apparently) be getting a true villain. The only thing I'm not really feeling at this stage is the art style. I've never loved the look of the computer-animated films in relation to their hand-drawn forebears, but I'm having particular trouble with this one, at least based on the trailer. I can't quite put my finger on why that is.
Maybe it's the disconnect between the backgrounds and the characters? The backgrounds feel more stylized and 2D-like, but the characters seem much more like Disney's 3D animated characters. I know the attempt is to make the characters seem like a 2D/3D hybrid, but they really just look like not fully rendered 3D characters.

I don't want to come across too negative because I genuinely appreciate Disney doing something different with its animation style and overall I am looking forward to this film. But I feel — based on the footage of Wish we have seen so far— that movies like Across the Spiderverse, TMNT and Nimona did a better job at the 2D/3D hybrid style.

LittleBuford

Maybe it's the disconnect between the backgrounds and the characters? The backgrounds feel more stylized and 2D-like, but the characters seem much more like Disney's 3D animated characters. I know the attempt is to make the characters seem like a 2D/3D hybrid, but they really just look like not fully rendered 3D characters.

I don't want to come across too negative because I genuinely appreciate Disney doing something different with its animation style and overall I am looking forward to this film. But I feel — based on the footage of Wish we have seen so far— that movies like Across the Spiderverse, TMNT and Nimona did a better job at the 2D/3D hybrid style.
I actually don't see a disconnect between the characters and backgrounds, and whatever's not working for me aesthetically pertains to both. That said, I too appreciate that they're doing something new, and I look forward to seeing the end result on the big screen.

Miss Rori

I'm wondering if this will be one of those "life lesson" plots. Asha may think she's doing something grand and kind by granting all the wishes only to find out in the end there was a reason the King didn't grant all the wishes he was given.
That would completely work against both the conceit of Magnifico being a classical eeeevil Disney villain and the filmmakers saying that they hope the movie will inspire people to go for their dreams, so I doubt it. That said, I suspect there's going to be some kind of arbitrary limit to the magic of Star that will, say, keep selfish/destructive wishes from being granted, or any wish that might send unfortunate messages to the audiences if granted (such as a disability being magically cured).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think they're hinting that his wish-granting is a ponzi scheme. People give up their wishes to him, and he doles them out slower than he takes in, which means some people eventually never get their wish and he skims the extra wishes for his own magic/purposes.

King Bernie Madoff.

TP2000

Plus, Asha’s tight-knit group of confidants, protectors and forever friends:.... Ramy Youseff as Safi, who’s plagued by allergies;

Well, there's an inclusive character backstory I don't think we've seen before. 🤔

Yet again, Portland, Oregon a decade ago predicted the future.... 🤣

TP2000

I may be reading waaaay too much into it, but I also wonder if the premise of Asha questioning King Magnifico is a commentary on religion — how God may or may not answer prayers and the seeming unfairness of allowing so much suffering. It's the first thing that jumped to mind when viewing the trailer.

Wow. I never would have thought of that. But I appreciate that you threw it out there for contemplation.

I haven't been to a church in decades (the Lutherans told me 45 years ago my "lifestyle" wasn't welcome), but I still talk to God regularly. Like most of us I imagine, I do wonder why some prayers go unanswered or seemingly ignored. That said, I can't imagine Disney would broach that topic in a family animated movie like Wish. Or... would they?

CaptainAmerica

I must've missed the part in Frozen when Anna got a magical sidekick she had to protect.

I must've missed the part of the trailer in which the protagonist was isolated from society and is a fish out of water with a romantic love interest.
You're confusing "character" and "plot." The Anna "I'm a pretty princess but also awkward and I snore and say things like 'wait, what?' all the time so I'm relatable to millennial women" is so old at this point. Fairytale princesses should be aspirational and idealized, not relatable.

anna-frozen.gif

The last good Disney Princess was Tiana.

Magenta Panther

I must've missed the part in Frozen when Anna got a magical sidekick she had to protect.

I must've missed the part of the trailer in which the protagonist was isolated from society and is a fish out of water with a romantic love interest.

Yeah, I guess you did miss that part in Frozen. Because there was this sidekick, named Olaf. Which Anna definitely tried to protect, from melting if nothing else.

As for the Tangled reference, your comment might have some merit. Except that Asha does seem to be kind of a geek, which usually indicates a fish out of water. As for a romantic love interest - nah, this is the new Disney, and a new Disney woman don't need no man. Asha will no doubt beat up the evil King with her own little feminist fists, but she won't become Queen, because that's sexist and girly. She'll be elected president or something, like obnoxious little Vanellope in Wreck-It-Ralph. Doesn't that sound like fun? :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom