Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

brideck

The line “No, you care too much” suggests that her primary flaw is her excessive empathy, which isn’t seen as a real weakness or a point of growth.

That line is a joke, no? And not a particularly new one at that. It's one of those classic interview gags where you should state that your biggest weakness is actually a strength (and is obviously untrue to boot). Pretty sure that sort of thing can be found all through '80s/'90s sitcoms, if not earlier.

Miss Rori

I think it’s supposed to be a signpost of how we’re supposed to see Asha anyway given Amaya’s explanation for why she’s a candidate for apprentice. There’s a lot of telling-not-showing in the movie after all.

TsWade2

I had a enough of this! I'm done obsessing with Wish! And I have enough of this negativity! I'm moving forward. Wish has it's justice on DisneyPlus anyway, and don't be too surprise that Disney fans will warm up to Wish and eventually become a cult classic.

Miss Rori

I’ve still only watched this once on D+, pretty bad when people are scrolling past new movies (they’ve only seen once) to click on old movies they’ve seen dozens of times.
Checking the most recent Nielsen numbers for streaming movies, from a month ago (thus mid-May), the one Disney+ movie that cracked the top ten was Moana at #8. A good sign for Moana 2 but not so great for Wish if its numbers fell off so quickly.

Miss Rori

Checking the most recent Nielsen numbers for streaming movies, from a month ago (thus mid-May), the one Disney+ movie that cracked the top ten was Moana at #8.
What a lot of folks-on-the-street don't realize about streaming, and what the big company men would rather they not know, is that "catalog" titles keep the lights on far more than most original content. It's why Max spent so much to get the rights to Friends from Netflix, ditto with Peacock and The Office. South Park has been a huge boon for Max, and The Simpsons has been the same for Disney+ -- not neccesarily new episodes, but the vintage/"good years" ones. Right now the first and fourth Shrek movies are the most popular animated movies on any streaming service (Netflix currently holds the rights). Older movies and shows are also the bread-and-butter of ad-supported streamers like Tubi and Pluto TV. WB Discovery tried making a big deal of some of the more recent DC movies being licensed out to Tubi a few months back, but the banner advertising Black Adam lasted maybe two weeks before Tubi moved back to reminding people that The Mask was back in their rotation!

CinematicFusion

What a lot of folks-on-the-street don't realize about streaming, and what the big company men would rather they not know, is that "catalog" titles keep the lights on far more than most original content. It's why Max spent so much to get the rights to Friends from Netflix, ditto with Peacock and The Office. South Park has been a huge boon for Max, and The Simpsons has been the same for Disney+ -- not neccesarily new episodes, but the vintage/"good years" ones. Right now the first and fourth Shrek movies are the most popular animated movies on any streaming service (Netflix currently holds the rights). Older movies and shows are also the bread-and-butter of ad-supported streamers like Tubi and Pluto TV. WB Discovery tried making a big deal of some of the more recent DC movies being licensed out to Tubi a few months back, but the banner advertising Black Adam lasted maybe two weeks before Tubi moved back to reminding people that The Mask was back in their rotation!
I agree. Netflix acquiring the streaming rights for “Suits” was huge. The show’s resurgence has made it one of the most streamed series and Netflix bought it on the cheap. For instance, in just one week, “Suits” was streamed for over 3.7 billion minutes, setting a new record for the most-viewed acquired series.

Miss Rori

I agree. Netflix acquiring the streaming rights for “Suits” was huge. The show’s resurgence has made it one of the most streamed series and Netflix bought it on the cheap. For instance, in just one week, “Suits” was streamed for over 3.7 billion minutes, setting a new record for the most-viewed acquired series.
Yep yep yep. It's fascinating how streaming won't provide second winds to failed new movies and shows (Encanto is the only film that managed that, off the top of my head) but can turn old, even very old, success stories into fresh viral topics of conversation (hello, Columbo!).

On the one hand it's assumed families who have D+ subscriptions are waiting for streaming to see their newer theatrical films, and that's why Wish cratered theatrically, and yet...once it was available, it had a few weeks of charting views, and nothing else happened. The merchandise didn't start to move, the songs didn't go viral (not for the right reasons), etc. Nobody talks about it any more than they would have a movie that went straight to D+ (who even remembers the Pinocchio or Peter Pan remakes, or Disenchanted, now?). What did Encanto have that Wish didn't that allowed it to beat the odds?

CinematicFusion

Yep yep yep. It's fascinating how streaming won't provide second winds to failed new movies and shows (Encanto is the only film that managed that, off the top of my head) but can turn old, even very old, success stories into fresh viral topics of conversation (hello, Columbo!).

On the one hand it's assumed families who have D+ subscriptions are waiting for streaming to see their newer theatrical films, and that's why Wish cratered theatrically, and yet...once it was available, it had a few weeks of charting views, and nothing else happened. The merchandise didn't start to move, the songs didn't go viral (not for the right reasons), etc. Nobody talks about it any more than they would have a movie that went straight to D+ (who even remembers the Pinocchio or Peter Pan remakes, or Disenchanted, now?). What did Encanto have that Wish didn't that allowed it to beat the odds?
Encanto had Positive Word of Mouth and Social Media Buzz.
My kids started singing all the songs and all of a sudden it’s all the kids at school talked about.

Miss Rori

Visiting ShopDisney to make a comparison regarding the Wish merch compared to the Inside Out 2 merch...there is nothing left for sale representing Wish aside from the just released back-to-school supplies. Either those discounts really worked, or Disney has sent the remaining stock out to be remaindered at outlet stores.

Phroobar

Visiting ShopDisney to make a comparison regarding the Wish merch compared to the Inside Out 2 merch...there is nothing left for sale representing Wish aside from the just released back-to-school supplies. Either those discounts really worked, or Disney has sent the remaining stock out to be remaindered at outlet stores.
Ross and TJ Max have lots of Wish stuff. However, Lightyear is still clogging the shelves at Target & Walmart.

Miss Rori

Ross and TJ Max have lots of Wish stuff. However, Lightyear is still clogging the shelves at Target & Walmart.
Oh, Target and Walmart have to deal with that and unsold Wish merch too. I worked at Kmart in the late '90s and there was still some Hunchback of Notre Dame merch on clearance there a year and a half after release. (Though I totally see why that didn't move, even though the movie did okay at the box office.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom