Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Miss Rori

Thinking what "message" Wish could have had that was put above the story, I realized that there was a really obvious one, the whole point of the movie: Buy magical Disney products! So many of the changes made to the interesting early concepts, and a lot of the references to other movies, make more sense if you see it as a big advertisement for Wish merchandise and Disney The Brand. :p

MarvelCharacterNerd

Wish merch update from DLR. There's an entire room in World of Disney in Downtown Disney dedicated to Wish merch on sale 40% off in addition to the entire former watch shop on Main Street filled with Wish merchandise at 40% off. I'm really struggling to remember them having "sale" merch in the park for this long at a time. Usually it's dumped to outlets or cast stores but there may simply be too much of it to outsource, because, as noted, it was expected to be a hit. Because princess. And magic. And wishing. And stuff.

WorldExplorer

There are little plaques sometimes near the Wish merchandise saying they're part of a collaboration with Make-A-Wish. 10% of the price goes to the charity, up to a million.

I wonder how that went.

Miss Rori

This is an interesting good-faith look at why the animation in Wish isn't satisfying for many viewers. I don't like Tangled myself, but I do respect the quality of its animation and world-establishing a lot more for the comparisons she draws between the two films. (You will have to visit YT itself to watch the video in the link.)

Phroobar

I was on a Carnival cruise to Mexico last week. The ship showed Wish. I noticed most people in the pool area just got up and left when the movie started. Others just ignored it and did more drinking. However, families showed up for Trolls Band Together and Wonka.

TsWade2

This is an interesting good-faith look at why the animation in Wish isn't satisfying for many viewers. I don't like Tangled myself, but I do respect the quality of its animation and world-establishing a lot more for the comparisons she draws between the two films. (You will have to visit YT itself to watch the video in the link.)

Sorry, but I don't want to hear it.

TP2000

The YouTube algorithm is mysterious. I was trying to find recipes for grilled stone fruits tonight to impress the neighbors, and it kept trying to show me this alongside the recipes. So I finally watched, and I laughed. Did we already do this one here? 🤣

MarvelCharacterNerd

In case anyone was wondering, the former watch shop on Main Street remains entirely filled with Wish merchandise at 40% off. Other Wish merchandise is labeled at the same sale price in other locations as well.

WorldExplorer

In case anyone was wondering, the former watch shop on Main Street remains entirely filled with Wish merchandise at 40% off. Other Wish merchandise is labeled at the same sale price in other locations as well.

Funnily enough, when the discounts started it excluded the Dooney and Burke (the items in Uptown Jewelers, the former watch shop). Now it includes them.

CinematicFusion

Several factors contributed to its poor performance. Firstly, the SAG-AFTRA strike limited promotion, and traditional TV and print ads just don’t work anymore. Hollywood doesn’t have that captive audience like it used to with shows like “Full House” where people sat through movie commercials. Additionally, the critics weren’t kind, pointing out flaws in the plot and soundtrack. Personally, I felt the story should have focused more on the antagonist, as his narrative was much more compelling.

Phroobar

Several factors contributed to its poor performance. Firstly, the SAG-AFTRA strike limited promotion, and traditional TV and print ads just don’t work anymore. Hollywood doesn’t have that captive audience like it used to with shows like “Full House” where people sat through movie commercials. Additionally, the critics weren’t kind, pointing out flaws in the plot and soundtrack. Personally, I felt the story should have focused more on the antagonist, as his narrative was much more compelling.
People knew it was out there. They just didn't care enough to see it. Even the Cult of Disney didn't show up. If they did, the cult is much smaller than we give them credit for. Even around here, I bet most forum members didn't bother. I know I didn't bother and still didn't when presented free to me.

CinematicFusion

People knew it was out there. They just didn't care enough to see it. Even the Cult of Disney didn't show up. If they did, the cult is much smaller than we give them credit for. Even around here, I bet most forum members didn't bother. I know I didn't bother and still didn't when presented free to me.
“Wish” did not resonate well with audiences for several reasons. One significant issue is that the main character, Asha, appears almost too perfect from the start. The line “No, you care too much” suggests that her primary flaw is her excessive empathy, which isn’t seen as a real weakness or a point of growth. This lack of substantial character development or room for growth can make it harder for audiences to connect with her journey.

Tha Realest

Ah yes, people didn’t go see it because Ariana DeBose wouldn’t go on Jimmy Kimmel and tell his dwindling audience a series of canned anecdotes for a few minutes.

Miss Rori

Yeah, I don't think Disney/Pixar animated features, in general, have benefitted much from the performers doing the talk show circuit. And the Wish promotional campaign arguably wasn't good enough to work -- it really struggled to explain what the story was and why people should care about it, if it wasn't just focusing on goofy goat and chicken gags. A lot of that might go back to the inherent flaws of the movie, though, not giving marketers much to work with.

Miss Rori

The line “No, you care too much” suggests that her primary flaw is her excessive empathy, which isn’t seen as a real weakness or a point of growth. This lack of substantial character development or room for growth can make it harder for audiences to connect with her journey.
Ironically, she really just cares too much about herself. She's so mad that her family won't get their wishes granted because of how badly she broached the situation with Magnifico that she decides she knows better than everybody else about what's best for them and the kingdom, and inadvertently nearly destroys it in the process. (i.e., Why didn't she and Star try to free everybody's wishes right away, instead of just getting her family's out of the tower?)

CinematicFusion

Ironically, she really just cares too much about herself. She's so mad that her family won't get their wishes granted because of how badly she broached the situation with Magnifico that she decides she knows better than everybody else about what's best for them and the kingdom, and inadvertently nearly destroys it in the process. (i.e., Why didn't she and Star try to free everybody's wishes right away, instead of just getting her family's out of the tower?)
Good point

DCLcruiser

At first I was really excited for the movie based on the original art as this looked to be medieval or older story from Moorish Spain. Frankly, I think it would have been better taking place farther back in Mesopotamia.

The origins of the wishing star, would be cool.

Well, it went much lighter than expected.

I didn't like that a lot of the characters looked like they were recycled from Strange World, etc. That was either by design (a link to future movies) or cost cutting in the CGI department.

If the movie wasn't supposed to be an ancient Western Civilization, and instead it was a prequel to all future Disney characters, then they should have really gone all out. There are easter eggs and references to future characters (some depicted), but I am sure that was missed by a lot of people.

Hell, even the Mirror transformation was so fast that most probably didn't realize the incredible significance of Magnifico.

Overall, I had a lot of hope for this movie, but it fell flat. I do enjoy playing some of the music for my kid.

Phroobar

At first I was really excited for the movie based on the original art as this looked to be medieval or older story from Moorish Spain. Frankly, I think it would have been better taking place farther back in Mesopotamia.

The origins of the wishing star, would be cool.

Well, it went much lighter than expected.

I didn't like that a lot of the characters looked like they were recycled from Strange World, etc. That was either by design (a link to future movies) or cost cutting in the CGI department.

If the movie wasn't supposed to be an ancient Western Civilization, and instead it was a prequel to all future Disney characters, then they should have really gone all out. There are easter eggs and references to future characters (some depicted), but I am sure that was missed by a lot of people.

Hell, even the Mirror transformation was so fast that most probably didn't realize the incredible significance of Magnifico.

Overall, I had a lot of hope for this movie, but it fell flat. I do enjoy playing some of the music for my kid.
Star should have been Peter Pan like they originally intended. Instead they decide to rip off Super Mario Galaxy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom