Wish (Walt Disney Animation - November 2023)

Ghost93

I can't comment on Robot Dreams as I haven't seen it, but I am happy for Across the Spider-verse, The Boy and the Heron, Nimona and Elemental being nominated. Elemental is just as good as the old PIxar movies were and I'm glad it wasn't shut out due to a "Disney is failing" narrative. Would have liked to see Suzume get some recognition, but maybe once I see Robot Dreams I'll end up feeling like it's a good choice.

I am shocked Once Upon A studio didn't get an Oscar nom. I thought it was universally liked.

Tha Realest

I can't comment on Robot Dreams as I haven't seen it, but I am happy for Across the Spider-verse, The Boy and the Heron, Nimona and Elemental being nominated. Elemental is just as good as the old PIxar movies were and I'm glad it wasn't shut out due to a "Disney is failing" narrative. Would have liked to see Suzume get some recognition, but maybe once I see Robot Dreams I'll end up feeling like it's a good choice.

I am shocked Once Upon A studio didn't get an Oscar nom. I thought it was universally liked.
It’s kind of shocking though that OUAS and Wish were completely shut out. Seems like the brand damage extends further than a bunch of YT neckbeards? Maybe the academy members are still smarting over Iger’s less than deft handling of the union stuff.

TsWade2

I’m very upset about it a little bit. I was going to say it’s the end of Disney Animation Studios, but Disney Irish will have my hide if I say that. So, I can’t. But I’m very disappointed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s kind of shocking though that OUAS and Wish were completely shut out. Seems like the brand damage extends further than a bunch of YT neckbeards? Maybe the academy members are still smarting over Iger’s less than deft handling of the union stuff.
Not sure why you say that when Disney still had a large number of nominations including Elemental. If Disney got snubbed completely I would agree with you, but the fact they got as many nominations as they did shows its not the brand damage you claim even though WDAS itself didn't hove something nominated.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m very upset about it a little bit. I was going to say it’s the end of Disney Animation Studios, but Disney Irish will have my hide if I say that. So, I can’t. But I’m very disappointed.
Why? Its clearly not as strong as the others nominated. It doesn't mean it wasn't good, just that there were others that were stronger. Its also possible that Disney didn't campaign as hard for Wish than they did for Elemental or anything else that got nominated.

TsWade2

Why? Its clearly not as strong as the others nominated. It doesn't mean it wasn't good, just that there were others that were stronger. Its also possible that Disney didn't campaign as hard for Wish than they did for Elemental or anything else that got nominated.
I know. To be honest, if it does get nominated and win, Disney might reconsider doing more hand drawn animated films, but I’m afraid it’s unlikely since Mark Henn announced that Disney refused to do more hand drawn films. I know, I know, because PATF and WTP didn’t do well at the box office.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know. To be honest, if it does get nominated and win, Disney might reconsider doing more hand drawn animated films, but I’m afraid it’s unlikely since Mark Henn announced that Disney refused to do more hand drawn films. I know, I know, because PATF and WTP didn’t do well at the box office.
Wish not getting nominated has nothing to do with Disney doing more hand drawn animation or not. Also one retired animator saying something doesn't mean hand drawn animation is over either. They may decide to do for some project in the future, we don't know.

For example Disney released a series in 2022 on D+ called Sketchbook which looks at hand drawn animation. Also I think there were talks about a new course offered by Disney for their CG animators to relearn hand drawn animation.

Also there is this from November by Wish's director that states Disney is looking at hand drawn for future projects -

So I wouldn't say hand drawn animation is dead at Disney.

Ghost93

The Boy and the Heron and Robot Dreams — two of the movies that got Best Animated Feature nominations — ARE traditionally animated. And Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse and Nimona both have a 2D/3D hybrid style. So I don't think Wish not getting an Oscar nomination will make Disney more likely to abandon hand-drawn animation films, as clearly the 2D style is making a comeback.

TsWade2

Wish not getting nominated has nothing to do with Disney doing more hand drawn animation or not. Also one retired animator saying something doesn't mean hand drawn animation is over either. They may decide to do for some project in the future, we don't know.

For example Disney released a series in 2022 on D+ called Sketchbook which looks at hand drawn animation. Also I think there were talks about a new course offered by Disney for their CG animators to relearn hand drawn animation.

Also there is this from November by Wish's director that states Disney is looking at hand drawn for future projects -

So I wouldn't say hand drawn animation is dead at Disney.
The Boy and the Heron and Robot Dreams — two of the movies that got Best Animated Feature nominations — ARE traditionally animated. And Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse and Nimona both have a 2D/3D hybrid style. So I don't think Wish not getting an Oscar nomination will make Disney more likely to abandon hand-drawn animation films, as clearly the 2D style is making a comeback.
Well, I don't want to get my hopes up again, but alright. I'll take your word for it.

Sir_Cliff

I liked it too, but perhaps it was seen as shameless self promotion for a brand that didn't need it.
Yes, I am not so surprised it wasn't nominated as I think a lot of people would have seen it as a Disney promotional video more than an animated short.

As for Wish not getting any nominations, that does seem like a bigger deal to me than to most on here even if it's not a surprise. That Disney just released a big animated musical that was supposed to be a return to form and it didn't get nominated either for best animated feature or best original song underlines that something really went wrong with this film creatively and not just commercially.

TsWade2

Yoo hoo! While Wish sadly didn't do well at the box office, but here's the good news! Wish just debuted on digital yesterday and it just made #4 trending on the top chart and #1 animated movie on the top chart beating the snot at the terrible Trolls third movie! https://x.com/cjstrikerc/status/1750025895446810829?s=61 Sorry, it’s the best I can find right now. So anyway, it looks like Wish is making a comeback! Yay! We’ll see how well it’ll do on DisneyPlus whenever it arrives. In the meantime, Wish is making a comeback on digital. Deal with it, haters!:cool:

Farerb

Yes, I am not so surprised it wasn't nominated as I think a lot of people would have seen it as a Disney promotional video more than an animated short.

As for Wish not getting any nominations, that does seem like a bigger deal to me than to most on here even if it's not a surprise. That Disney just released a big animated musical that was supposed to be a return to form and it didn't get nominated either for best animated feature or best original song underlines that something really went wrong with this film creatively and not just commercially.
Tangled and Frozen II weren't nominated for Best Animated Feature as well (they were nominated for song though).

Ghost93

I’m not sure how to explain it, but Wish is continuing to do significantly better internationally than it did domestically:

I think the predictable tropes may not seem as tired in other countries as they are in the US. And all of the backlash to the Disney brand over politics is probably irrelevant overseas.

Also, maybe the dubs and lyric changes overseas happen to be really good. IDK.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m not sure how to explain it, but Wish is continuing to do significantly better internationally than it did domestically:

It’s a little high but that’s pretty standard for animated Disney movies, I pulled up a couple recent movies on box office mojo and it’s in the neighborhood of other titles.

Wish is currently 27% domestic, 73% international

Frozen was 29% domestic, 71% international

Tangled was 34% domestic, 66% international

Moana was 36% domestic, 64% international

LittleBuford

It’s a little high but that’s pretty standard for animated Disney movies, I pulled up a couple recent movies on box office mojo and it’s in the neighborhood of other titles.

Wish is currently 27% domestic, 73% international

Frozen was 29% domestic, 71% international

Tangled was 34% domestic, 66% international

Moana was 36% domestic, 64% international
Fair enough, but when you compare the numbers with those of Encanto, things look a bit stranger:

Encanto:
DOMESTIC (37.4%)
$96,093,622
INTERNATIONAL (62.6%)
$160,693,120
WORLDWIDE
$256,786,742

Wish:
DOMESTIC (27.1%)
$63,387,735
INTERNATIONAL (72.9%)
$170,218,808
WORLDWIDE
$233,606,543

Needless to say, Encanto’s cinematic release happened under the cloud of COVID, so the comparison isn’t apples-to-apples. But the relative robustness of Wish’s international performance is still noteworthy.

Miss Rori

It is relatively robust, but it's telling that just as in the United States the international market likes Wonka even more -- it's grossed about twice as much as Wish. I really wonder if Wish might have been the next Frozen / Encanto if Wonka weren't the same kind of movie but better.

I have to say I was surprised that my posting the links to Disney's clips of deleted material from the movie (there's also a clip of the completed-but-deleted "A Wish Worth Making" sequence with Sabino after he gets his wish back at USA Today's site) didn't get much response in this thread. (Better, worse, what?) That says a lot about how little people care about the movie; all it's good for is debating over box office and streaming and what this says for the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom