Wilma?

prberk

Badger Brent said:
Anyone heard from Maria lately? I thought her insight could help us out a little here. Hope all is well with her and everyone in one my favorite places to visit. Just wondering???:(

Yeah, I would like to hear from her, too. I don't know exactly where in Mexico she lives, but I hope she is O.K.

And that reminds me, is it just me or did it seem that the American news channels and programs (Weather Channel, CNN, "Today Show," MSNBC, at least) all weekend seemed to spend about 30 seconds on the devastation on the Yucatan Peninsula before hurrying over to spend a lot of time discussing Florida's preparations?!

I know that it was hard to get news out of that part of Mexico during the storm, but Wilma battered it senseless for 36 hours. I know that it was the American media, but I also know that the world, including Mexico, watches. And it just seemed a little more biased than I would have liked....

(Of course, they were also quick to get back to the Carl Rove story, too, even though there is no news there yet...) There was actual news in the Yucatan (not to mention Louisiana still or Pakistan still), but it was suppremely important to get back to the reporter standing in front of the White House waiting with breathless anticipation for a POSSIBLE indictment that just might be coming sometime down the road. (Sorry, if my frustrations about the "news cycles" and its biases -- no matter which party is in power -- shows, but it just seems very clear here.)

Was this coverage different around the rest of the world, especially "south of the border"? Just curious.

Paul

stranger

MKCP 1985 said:
to our forum members in South Florida - please check in and let us know you are all right when this storm has passed.

I received a text from Regina(DDuckFan130 )! She and her family are fine...they lost power, but she said the worst of the storm is over now!

WDWScottieBoy

2 million people have lost power, 1 death (a tree fell on a man in a Ft. Myers or Ft. Lauderdale suburb).

We got some pretty nasty rain and winds this morning, several trees were uprooted outside my place. Driving on the Bee-Line and I4 I didn't see much damage, just a lot of water and tree branches and other little things on the side of the road.

Also, it's not AS windy right now and perfect blue skies right now. You would have had no idea a hurricane went through here today, except for all the water in the area and the VERY few downed trees.

Piebald

I'm in Weston, Florida. Just checking in. We got the eye going right over us and I'm pretty sure we got the worst of the storm (as did Naples and the Keys).

This was probably the worst hurricane I've ever witnessed and I've lived in South Florida all of my life. We got pounded hardcore all morning. Me and my family went outside during the eye and it was calm (duh) for a little bit. This was at like 9:00am Saw a lot of neighbors walking their dogs and looking over the damage. It wasn't too bad. A lot of the roof tiles were flying off and most screen patios were damaged (screen ripped off) but nothing too major. We went back inside and noticed the wind was significantly stronger. Sounded like jets taking off next to the house or a freight train. Heard a lot of roof tiles crashing into our shutters and from a distance and just heard the wind howling. My dad's a big strong guy and he couldn't even open the door because the wind was blowing on it so hard.

We finally dozed off and all fell asleep until about 1pm so we ran outside because we realized it was no longer windy. Let me tell you .. it looked like someone dropped a nuclear bomb on the neighborhood. Trees all over the street, mailboxes flew away, screen patios were totally down (including the frames), fences were gone, roof tiles crashed into peoples windsheilds and on their cars. I drove around and my town is horrendous. I live in a pretty nice place and it looks like a war took place. In other towns the mobile homes went completely byebye and also minimal flooding in most places. Basically, this is gonna be a lonnngggg week.

Buick87GNXv6

Glad to hear your safe Pie...

I will be going to WDW on the 27th and I heard on the news that WILMA is speeding away from USA and bahamas, which is great!

Well I wonder if the parks will be quiet because of all the cleanup that will need to be done.

MiRi

I am checking in as well. I still have no power at home. I am at work now and we have power here. Nothing major happened to my house, thank goodness.

LouDisney

For all of you that are checking in, I am so glad you are all safe. My thoughts and prayers are will you all, hoping you all get power back real soon, and that everything will move along quickly in your clean up, rebuilding, etc. :)

blackerbys17

Check-in here too. No major damage to my house in Miami, just no power yet. VEry little gas to go around and supplies are hard to find. Luckily, I found a hotel at the Beach with power so I am staying here for the meantime. Believe it or not, I'm supposed to go to Disney this Saturday. Luckily, the airport is open but DH is a police officer and he is working 12 hour shifts and not sure if they will let him go. My entire vacation is prepaid and non-refundable at this point and I don't have travel insurance so I don't know what I'm going to do if they don't let him go.:veryconfu

This sucks, but at least we are OK. Anybody heard from MsTinkherbell? She lives in Fort Lauderdale and they were hit hard too. Hope everybody is OK.

Monica

Woody13

p4b.gif

ºoº

WDWScottieBoy

I know Joey (AllThatsJoey) is safe from Wilma. His home and work are both out of power. He had a tree fall on his roof badly damaging it, but no real details yet. I'll try to get him to update here soon.

Woody13

I've been reading all the press stories about hurricane Wilma and I am a little surprised. People are complaining that they don't have enough ice, water, food, gasoline, and propane. I fully understand their desire and need for ice. After 2 or 3 days, ice becomes a top priority to keep soft drinks and beer cold. If you have no power, you can't make your own ice. The need for the other items seems unreasonable to me.

Non perishable food, water, gasoline and propane are things that can easily be horded ahead of time. I always keep an ample supply of these items on hand to last me and my family at least 90 days in the case of emergency. Is this just a case of poor planning by some south Florida residents?

SpongeScott

Woody13 said:
I've been reading all the press stories about hurricane Wilma and I am a little surprised. People are complaining that they don't have enough ice, water, food, gasoline, and propane. I fully understand their desire and need for ice. After 2 or 3 days, ice becomes a top priority to keep soft drinks and beer cold. If you have no power, you can't make your own ice. The need for the other items seems unreasonable to me.

Non perishable food, water, gasoline and propane are things that can easily be horded ahead of time. I always keep an ample supply of these items on hand to last me and my family at least 90 days in the case of emergency. Is this just a case of poor planning by some south Florida residents?
yep. Evidently quite a few people did not do sufficient planning.

You can lead a horse to water....

Debbie

Woody13 said:

This is why I feel that the looting for "food and water" that took place 24 hours after Katrina is inexcusable. Everyone is told to always have enough supplies to last at least 3-5 days. As adults, we have a responsibility to be aware of this. Also, ice was a needed commodity, and we didn't wait for anyone to bring it to us or hand it out. We drove 40 miles west to Morgan City to load up for family and friends, refill all gas cans (we had 45 gallons ourselves), and purchase whatever family and friends needed. By the time the free ice was being handed out by the National Guard, the power was being restored........So Tuesday, Weds, Thurs, Friday, we had to do for ourselves. Saturday, they started giving out the MREs and ice. And we got power back on Saturday nite......

Nemo14

Woody13 said:

There seems to be an attitude of entitlement here, rather than responsibility. I realize that there was more damage in the Miami area than had been predicted, but I too was pretty amazed at how little preparation people had taken. Here in the North, we (or at least some of us) prepare for blizzards in the winter by stocking up on supplies. I can't understand why, given the recent history of hurricanes in the South, that similar preparatiuons weren't made.

MiRi

The thing is, that people here are used to hearing more than once, every year, that a hurricane could come and then it doesn't hit us that hard or not at all. So, people have the mentality that it's not going to be as bad. It's not right, but it's true. I do think that Wilma was a wake up call to residents and I think/hope that they will be better prepared next time around.

Luckily, my family was prepared with food & water. We all got gas for our cars the day of the storm (before it hit, of course). We're getting ice from work. We're fine. But it's still frustrating without power, especially with my dad. He has Parkinson's Disease and he's a diabetic so taking proper care of him can be frustrating (keeping his insulin cold and whatnot).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom