Wilma?

Nemo14

MiRi said:
The thing is, that people here are used to hearing more than once, every year, that a hurricane could come and then it doesn't hit us that hard or not at all. So, people have the mentality that it's not going to be as bad. It's not right, but it's true. I do think that Wilma was a wake up call to residents and I think/hope that they will be better prepared next time around.

Luckily, my family was prepared with food & water. We all got gas for our cars the day of the storm (before it hit, of course). We're getting ice from work. We're fine. But it's still frustrating without power, especially with my dad. He has Parkinson's Disease and he's a diabetic so taking proper care of him can be frustrating (keeping his insulin cold and whatnot).
I think what we mean is that there should be more people like you. You were wise to prepare ahead of time - always better safe than sorry. I just can't fathom how people can be so unprepared, after seeing the hurricane seasons these past 2 years.
Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers - I know it must be very difficult without power.

MKCP 1985

First, let me say I am very happy to hear from you S.FL. residents - I know you have it bad, and I am thinking about you.

Now, about that failure to plan: Even if you can afford a generator, it is very hard for the average person to stock up on gasoline. Storage of gasoline is hazardous business, and when a hurricane is coming, those red plastic 5 gallon gas cans tend to disappear from the local hardware stores. So, you go and top off the tanks in your cars and fill whatever gas cans you have, but most people have no more than one of those tanks. If you run a generator all night, that gas will be gone by morning. I understand there is plenty of gasoline in S.FL, but there is no electricity to run the pumps to get the gasoline out of the tanks into people's cars and tanks. The shortage becomes a crisis very soon.

As for ice, without power the ice doesn't last long no matter how much you stock up. While I am in the group that wants ice to keep my beer cold and to provide a cold mixed drink, the REAL need for ice is to keep all that meat in my freezer from ruining, and while my beer will be okay if it gets hot, my baby's milk and my father's medicines will NOT be okay when the ice runs out. So, all jokes aside, ICE really is a necessity and not a luxury for many people.

Even if you personally have made it okay through one or more hurricane power outages, just try and have a little compassion for those who did their best but still have immediate needs.

Nemo14

Truly I didn't mean to offend - I do understand the needs for ice and gasoline. We were without power here for a week when my daughter was an infant, and I remember how difficult it was for us. It's more the lack of non-perishables and bottled water that I have trouble understanding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom