Will you buy the 2008 Disney Dining Plan?

sbkline

Gotcha!

To those who pointed out that it is possible to come close to $38 for one meal, I see your point. I'll still have to take a look our numbers for this year's vacation before making a decision about next year's plan regarding dining, but I'm not leaning toward it right now.

We did not eat at the French restaurant and had a lunch at Le Cellier (cheaper than dinner) so many of our TS tabs were lighter than those listed by other posters.

But just keep in mind that whatever those lunch TS meals ended up costing, you still have to eat your counter service and snack for that day (well, I guess you don't HAVE to, but I assume you'll be eating something else somewhere sometime in the day). As long as it all comes up to 38 dollars or more, then the dining plan is a good deal.

ImaYoyo

Gotcha!

To those who pointed out that it is possible to come close to $38 for one meal, I see your point. I'll still have to take a look our numbers for this year's vacation before making a decision about next year's plan regarding dining, but I'm not leaning toward it right now.

We did not eat at the French restaurant and had a lunch at Le Cellier (cheaper than dinner) so many of our TS tabs were lighter than those listed by other posters.

Thanks, folks, for your input.
Exactly. The DDP works well for some, and doesn't work well for others. Just gotta take a few moments to run some basic numbers and presto, you get your answer:) Anywho, the important part is to enjoy your trip!

eagles

to me, the decision is to eat at a ts restaurant or not. and for us, since we choose to eat at the restaurants, it is afterall part of the disney experience, we will do the dinning plan.

my only conflict now, is the basic plan or the deluxe. with the deluxe, we could do more of the 2 ts meals and still have the extra one cs or tb for another meal.

ThinkTink721

Since the 2008 Basic Disney Dining Plan:

1) Does not include gratuity

2) Does not include appetizer

3) Has only decreased in price by $1 per day, per person

4) Limits what kind of table you can book for the HDD (a personal bone of contention)

Will you add it to your vacation or pay as you go for meals?

I'm only asking those who not receive the free dining during the promotion period. I'm trying to guage whether the value is completely lost or still worth it.
I have purchased it in the past & would purchase it again w/ the new restrictions. :wave:

bayoutinkbelle

I used the DDP this past summer and it was well worth it. I think it would be worth it - even with the changes - this coming summer for me and DS14 since we stay for two weeks. He eats like every meal is his last and we almost always do a TS each day.

I am looking at the DDE, though.

Wow! I'm ready to start planning the summer '08 trip! :D

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
But just keep in mind that whatever those lunch TS meals ended up costing, you still have to eat your counter service and snack for that day (well, I guess you don't HAVE to, but I assume you'll be eating something else somewhere sometime in the day). As long as it all comes up to 38 dollars or more, then the dining plan is a good deal.

Actually, because we had Cheerios or an English muffin in our room before we headed out, we didn't eat CS lunches unless our TS ressies were for after 6. For 4 out of the 7 nights that we had the DP, we didn't use our CS. For the flight home, my entire family's luggage was stuffed with sandwiches and desserts from the Boardwalk Bakery. We also had 16 snack coupons to use up, so we hit the bakery in Norway big time! I froze the almond pretzels when we got home because we had so much food. OK, yes, it was all included and the value is there, but maybe we don't need so many TS meals.:shrug:

After looking at your explanation, I'll agree that it's still a good deal but it may not be for us next year. We'll see.

Thanks.

sbkline

Actually, because we had Cheerios or an English muffin in our room before we headed out, we didn't eat CS lunches unless our TS ressies were for after 6. For 4 out of the 7 nights that we had the DP, we didn't use our CS. For the flight home, my entire family's luggage was stuffed with sandwiches and desserts from the Boardwalk Bakery. We also had 16 snack coupons to use up, so we hit the bakery in Norway big time! I froze the almond pretzels when we got home because we had so much food. OK, yes, it was all included and the value is there, but maybe we don't need so many TS meals.:shrug:

After looking at your explanation, I'll agree that it's still a good deal but it may not be for us next year. We'll see.

Thanks.

And after reading your explanation just now, it looks like it probably isn't quite such a good idea for you. If you're not gonna have a counter service meal and if you're gonna have to stock up on snacks on the last day because you didn't use them through the trip, then it looks like the DDP probably isn't the best way to go for your group.

DisneyMarg

I am saying that we will definitely not buy the plan after the changes.
However, when we actually get down to planning, we probably will.
But we'll miss the appetizers.

Tipping 18% on a TS meal for a family of 4 (no kids meals) will be significant - around $25/day. ($35 meal * 4 people * .18). It's deceptive, because having entree, drink, and dessert included in the plan means we'll order it all and then will tip on all of it. If we were not on the plan, we'd probably drink water (as we usually do) and share one dessert among us, which would have the unintended benefit of a lower tip amount - not to mention fewer TS meals overall.

Having to keep up with cash for tips will be a pain. Or, maybe we can charge them to the room, since it will all be on the key card? If that's the case it won't be so bad.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
No, ill continue to eat well but I will eat fewer mediocre meals in the parks just because Im on the plan, stick to signature dinning places and eat off site for two or three meals.

wdwmomof3

I still have not decided yet but I think that we will. I know that I wont be going for the three meal a day one but the regular one is the plan that I would use. I wish that the tip was included but I think that it is still a pretty good deal. I like knowing that the meals are paid for in advance. It just makes it easier for me.

GoofyforWDW

Since the 2008 Basic Disney Dining Plan:

1) Does not include gratuity

2) Does not include appetizer

3) Has only decreased in price by $1 per day, per person

4) Limits what kind of table you can book for the HDD (a personal bone of contention)

Will you add it to your vacation or pay as you go for meals?

I'm only asking those who not receive the free dining during the promotion period. I'm trying to guage whether the value is completely lost or still worth it.

Out of principle I really think I shouldn't buy the dining plan as I feel cheated that Disney have removed tip and starter and dropped by $1 only. Its just not right!

I understand if it wasn't viable for Disney to continue with the old plan but feel they should have dropped one thing this year and one thing next year rather than both all in one go. Or they should have increased the price to include tip so it was still convieniant that you didn't have to carry cash. Also definately think you should be allowed to choose starter or dessert as most of my family aren't dessert eaters so would be wasted!

All that said just bought into DVC this year :sohappy:and will be staying on site without car so will still have to eat on Disney property therefore we may have to go for but at the moment not happy about changes and am trying to look for a way to not do it!

If enough people dont do it this year they may have to make more inviting next year. Problem is most people still see a saving which there will be so will still buy and Disney will have won! :(

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
Out of principle I really think I shouldn't buy the dining plan as I feel cheated that Disney have removed tip and starter and dropped by $1 only. Its just not right!

I understand if it wasn't viable for Disney to continue with the old plan but feel they should have dropped one thing this year and one thing next year rather than both all in one go. Or they should have increased the price to include tip so it was still convieniant that you didn't have to carry cash. Also definately think you should be allowed to choose starter or dessert as most of my family aren't dessert eaters so would be wasted!

All that said just bought into DVC this year :sohappy:and will be staying on site without car so will still have to eat on Disney property therefore we may have to go for but at the moment not happy about changes and am trying to look for a way to not do it!

If enough people dont do it this year they may have to make more inviting next year. Problem is most people still see a saving which there will be so will still buy and Disney will have won! :(

You read my mind.

jim1051

If it's just my wife and I we will. If more people go along, I am not sure. We enjoy a nice TS meal daily so it is still a good thing for us. We stay in a villa, eat breakfast in the villa, then venture out.

waterhouse6

Newbie here :wave:Just reading through posts and thought I would share my thoughts.

I have two trips I am in the process of planning and finalizing right now. I will definitely be buying the deluxe plan for both trips.

The first one is just DH and I. This plan gives us the opportunity to prepay for our meals and go to restaraunts my DH would have high blood pressure looking at the prices and paying for it out of pocket right then.:ROFLOL:Also gives us the opportunity to go places I would never take my 4 kids to since they would cringe at the food:lol:

The second trip is my kiddos Christmas present:xmas: I definitely like the idea of having all the meals payed for for our family of 6 before we go. Plus, with the parks being open so late that time of year, it gives us an opportunity to rest, recuperate and reflect on what they have seen so far.

This trip is their first trip and the Deluxe plan gives me the opportunity to provide them with their 3 meals a day as well as the chance to see more characters without having to stand in the long lines:rolleyes: I have already looked at menu prices for a rough estimate and it will definitely be saving money for us in the long run.

Am I happy with the automatic 18% gratuity for my family? NO NO NO!!! I just keep thinking that the CM will see us and decide not to give their best because they know they will get 18% no matter what.
Do I like the idea of tipping a cast member 18% at a character buffet? No, not really. But then I have to remember this is their and their families livlihood and its ok.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom