Will you buy the 2008 Disney Dining Plan?

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
Yes, I will still get the DDP in 2008.

I did the figures on several of the places we want to eat at next year (including Le Cellier and Le Chefs de France), and just on the evening table service meal alone, we either exceed 38 bucks per person, or we come darn close to it.

Seriously? You spend $38 on an entree, non-alcoholic drink, and a dessert?

gbrooks135

on my last trip to the world in 2006 with my wife and 2 adult daughters. we were on the DDP, and at a few of the restaurants we at at out bill will come to well over $100.00 and that was with out appetizer, shoot I think one place we ate at it was right at $200.00 so to me yes it is Worth it and I am getting it again for my next trip in march 08

disneytopdog

I have used it for the past 2 years and will use it again in 2008. I agree with having a choice of either dessert or appetizer. The exclusion of the tip is a touchy subject. On one hand I wish it was still included. BUT on the other, we got some horrible service at 50's Prime Time last week and it just BURNED me that this wait person was going to get 18% tip when she provided ZERO percent service to my group.

Mystic

It's quite easy to spend $38 on an entree, non-alcoholic drink and a dessert for dinner alone for one at Le Cellier, not including taxes or tip.

Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - 27.99
Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake - 7.99
Non-Alcoholic beverage - 2.79

Total before tax comes to 38.77. Essentially getting your counter service and snack for free.

Quite frankly we're glad that the tip has been removed from the dining plan as it means that we can tip accordingly for the service we receive. We were not impressed that our server at O'hana's got an 18% tip for what was definitely less than stellar service.

rimousefan84

My family and I are getting the basic DDP in May of 08, We wanted to do something special for this upcoming trip because my DF and I are graduating from college. We were disheartened by the fact that they took off app and Gratuity but realized that we probably wouldnt be able to finish all that food anyway!

As a side note, the original poster said something about a ristriction on the table you can reserve for HDD. Sorry I'm kind of an dumb when it comes to the abbreviations:hammer::hammer::hammer:but I dont know what the HDD stands for, can anyone explain please and thank you in advance.

BeanSz

Abolutely will use the dining plan. In fact, we are already booked for 2008 and have included the Deluxe Dining Plan. I always tip more, and have other add ons, so adding the tip is not a big deal.

Mystic

My family and I are getting the basic DDP in May of 08, We wanted to do something special for this upcoming trip because my DF and I are graduating from college. We were disheartened by the fact that they took off app and Gratuity but realized that we probably wouldnt be able to finish all that food anyway!

As a side note, the original poster said something about a ristriction on the table you can reserve for HDD. Sorry I'm kind of an dumb when it comes to the abbreviations:hammer::hammer::hammer:but I dont know what the HDD stands for, can anyone explain please and thank you in advance.

HDD = Hoop Dee Doo Revue

Disney05

Not happy with the change but will probably use it again. It works nice for our family of four. I spent more on food the year we didn't use it and didn't eat as well either. Still say the servers will get shafted.

rimousefan84

Oh boy, I should've known that! I was thinking it but I thought myself what about the MR part of the HDD(MR). Thanks a bunch, now I can impress my family with this new found disney knowledge.

sissa216

Yeah, I think so.
I've been debating this myself.
We never did eat TS every day until the dining plan came out, but now that we've done it, we kind of enjoy it :lol:

What I also take into account is that it is one less thing to worry about.
It definitely will save some money, but even if we came out dead even, there's the convenience of having pre-paid. That's three less times in a day that we have to hassle with paying.

I'm also fine that they cut it back, since it was way too much food to begin with. But as I've said before, and as others say too, I just wish they'd offer either and appetizer or a dessert.

To those above travelling with diabetics, I'm sure that if you would mention this to them, they would be able to pull some strings. They just don't advertise it, but I'm sure they would be willing to accommodate you.

baz212

I am going in May with my DH, DS4, and my Brother-in-law. DH and Brother-in-law eat like there's no tommorrow. We will be getting the deluxeDDP. I like that we can eat at 3 signature restaurants and do a dinner show and still have enough meals for the rest of the trip. And as I am addicted to Dole Whips all the snack credits will be used, Especially with DS.

sbkline

Maybe not at every restaraunt, but at Le Chefs de France, for example, as I was looking over the menu a couple months ago, I figured it was most likely that I would buy some entree for 26 dollars. I think it was the lamb if I remember correctly. So, 26 dollars, plus say, three dollars for the drink (give or take a dollar or so), plus 6 bucks for dessert, plus tax, and we're right around 38 bucks.

Now, at other restaraunts, I may not spend the whole 38 bucks at that one restaraunt, but it will still be close enough that, with snack and counter service, it comes up to around 38 bucks or more. Even the cheaper restaraunts, like the buffets, once you add in tax, dessert and drink, probably come up to around 27 or 28 dollars, so then, it's not hard at all to make up the remaining 10 dollars between your snack and counter service. And even if I come out behind on one day (like on the cheapest buffet or something), the savings I have from Le Chefs de France and Le Cellier would probably more than make up for it.

sbkline

Okay, Here is the menu for Le Chefs de France. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would have because several things look good. But it would be one of the entrees from the Meat and Poultry section. So, roughly 25 bucks for my entree. $2.75 for my drink. $6.95 for dessert. So, pre-tax, it looks like $34.70 at that restaraunt alone. With tax, it would be right around the $38 dollars. As someone else said, the tip is irrelevant, because I would still be paying that with or without the dining plan.

Le Cellier Looks like I would most likely get the 14 oz New York Strip Steak entree for 27 bucks. For 8 bucks, the Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake looks pretty good. They don't seem to have drinks on that menu, but presumably my drink would be about 3 dollars, which puts me at 38 bucks before tax.

So I'm already enough ahead, that even if my cheapest Table Service restaraunt puts me under my 38 dollars for that day, these expensive meals that we've just examined would make up for it.

Grumpy-Fan

Perplexed

:shrug:On the single credit restaurants it seems to be a good deal. On the double credit meals it doesn't.We are going the second week in Feb. and I am trying to decide this very thing.We are going for 7 days but will only be in the parks for five of these. I have enough ADR's to use all of my TS's but will probably not use all of my CS's or SK's. ADR's include Le'Cell, BD(2 credit),Tonys and The CG(2 credits). Thats 6 but if I decide to go DP I will do another.

perplexed.
Grumpy fan

sbkline

:shrug:On the single credit restaurants it seems to be a good deal. On the double credit meals it doesn't.We are going the second week in Feb. and I am trying to decide this very thing.We are going for 7 days but will only be in the parks for five of these. I have enough ADR's to use all of my TS's but will probably not use all of my CS's or SK's. ADR's include Le'Cell, BD(2 credit),Tonys and The CG(2 credits). Thats 6 but if I decide to go DP I will do another.

perplexed.
Grumpy fan

I'm not sure what to tell you there, because I haven't done the math enough to know if the DDP is a good deal on signature restaraunts. I suppose it would behoove me to do so, since I plan on eating at two of them next year (one out of pocket, the other on the DDP).

I plan to eat at Cali Grill out of Pocket and Artist Point on the DDP, and then pay for a couple regular table service meals out of pocket. I suppose I should do some number crunching and see if that's the better way to go or if I would be better off doing Artist Point out of pocket and using the DDP on a regular restaraunt. :shrug:

By the way, what is "BD"?

Mystic

For those of you that would rather have an appetizer than dessert or would like the option, why not start contacting Disney and suggest it to them. Disney does listen and maybe for 2009 they will offer just that. Or why not ask your server when you're seated if you could substitute an appetizer in place of a dessert and see what they say.

ImaYoyo

I figured as well, that once you added the tip to the $38 per day price, you'd be a wash.

There's another Constance Irene out there? Inconceivable! Nope, it's not me. Don't they make up their names so there are no two alike?
I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength. Maybe we are, maybe we're not, but...

What I mean is that I'd be paying a tip if i were on the DDP, and I'd be paying it if I'm not, so if DDP is 38 dollars, you figure a (example) 5 dollar tip, so your total food costs came to 43. At the same rate, if your Out Of Pocket expenses were 53 dollars, plus a 5 dollar tip for your table service meal, your total expenses are 58. Since tip is not included in the 2008 DDP, you're paying it whether you're on the DDP or not, so I chose not to include it in my figures.

ConstanceIrene

Original Poster
I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength. Maybe we are, maybe we're not, but...

What I mean is that I'd be paying a tip if i were on the DDP, and I'd be paying it if I'm not, so if DDP is 38 dollars, you figure a (example) 5 dollar tip, so your total food costs came to 43. At the same rate, if your Out Of Pocket expenses were 53 dollars, plus a 5 dollar tip for your table service meal, your total expenses are 58. Since tip is not included in the 2008 DDP, you're paying it whether you're on the DDP or not, so I chose not to include it in my figures.
Gotcha!

To those who pointed out that it is possible to come close to $38 for one meal, I see your point. I'll still have to take a look our numbers for this year's vacation before making a decision about next year's plan regarding dining, but I'm not leaning toward it right now.

We did not eat at the French restaurant and had a lunch at Le Cellier (cheaper than dinner) so many of our TS tabs were lighter than those listed by other posters.

Thanks, folks, for your input.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom