Will EO bring a new Imagination Pavilion?

Slowjack

I have, and it [Magic Journeys] is far, far superior to EO.

Incidentally, after Magic Journeys left Epcot, anyone recall how long it played in the Magic Kingdom (former Mickey Mouse Revue location, now Philharmagic)? I wouldn't at all mind seeing it again.
Nostalgia for Magic Journeys? I'm inclined to call you an oddball, but since I'm a guy who misses things like Delta Dreamflight, whom am I to judge? :)

Still, though, "far, far superior"? With all respect to the Sherman Brothers, the song is terrible, like something that would accompany a montage in a low budget 70s coming-of-age film. The content is little more than a series of random shots of children doing random things. And let's not forget the worst aspect of the experience: before you see Magic Journeys, you are forced to sit through "Making Memories." I actually heard people boo and hiss that preshow.

Yes, Magic Journeys played longer in the Magic Kingdom than it did in Epcot. I recall it playing to nearly empty houses in the middle of the summer, but I have to admit it was a marked improvement over its immediate predecessor: a vast empty space. I would gladly have kept the Mickey Mouse Revue, however!

Kuhio

I have, and it is far, far superior to EO.

Agree 100%. Captain EO was fine and enjoyable enough, but Magic Journeys was far superior.

It had a song that was evocative and haunting, and a surreal, dreamlike quality that was utterly unique. To me, it perfectly captured the essence of childhood -- how the landscape of one's imagination can turn from humorous to hopeful to frightening in an instant.

WDW1974

Agree 100%. Captain EO was fine and enjoyable enough, but Magic Journeys was far superior.

It had a song that was evocative and haunting, and a surreal, dreamlike quality that was utterly unique. To me, it perfectly captured the essence of childhood -- how the landscape of one's imagination can turn from humorous to hopeful to frightening in an instant.

Agreed. It was wonderful ... as was Making Memories (just one of the many EPCOT soundtracks that have been decimated).

EO was fine. Fun and enjoyable. But it certainly wasn't timeless. It said 1980s, much like HISTA says 1990s.

I can't imagine bringing something like that back.

Stupid. :xmas:

EPCOT Explorer

Agreed. It was wonderful ... as was Making Memories (just one of the many EPCOT soundtracks that have been decimated).

EO was fine. Fun and enjoyable. But it certainly wasn't timeless. It said 1980s, much like HISTA says 1990s.

If they were bringing it back for thematic purposes, sure, I understand.

This is a tribute....I find it fitting, especially since it'll be temp.

lebeau

If they were bringing it back for thematic purposes, sure, I understand.

This is a tribute....I find it fitting, especially since it'll be temp.

Just out of curiosity, what about it do you find fitting?

I see it as a cash grab. It won't fit in with the theme at all. It'll be who knows how many months after his death. And it's not like Jackson was ever really connected to the parks outside of Eo. They washed their hands of him for over a decade.

But they saw the returns on This Is It and wondered if they could cash in a little bit too. Sad.

And when I hear "temporary" all I hear is an excuse to do a half-a$$ job of things. Odds are they will make a mess of the pavillion and leave it that way until someone forces them to spend the money to fix it.

If anything, this will be an excuse not to give the pavillion the refurb it needs.

I see so little upside to the return of Captain Eo. I am really stunned by the number of people who seem to think it's a good idea. I can't believe Disney is even considering it!

RSoxNo1

Good call with Making Memories. One of my all time favorite Disney park songs.

BigThunderMatt

I don't understand what Disney would hope to accomplish by doing this. People pay to get into Epcot regardless of whether they see HISTA or not. Do they think that an outdated 1980s Michael Jackson, so far flung from how the current generation remembers him, is going to cause such a surge in admission as to make an impact?

'This is It' was so big because it's relevant. It's the last recorded footage of Michael Jackson performing shortly before his death. Something that hadn't been seen in years. He'd become such a recluse many people had forgotten him for what he was originally famous for.

Captain EO, while historically relevant to him, is not relevant to our current culture. It's staged, and essentially just a glorified music video. The intimacy and behind-the-scenes feel that 'This Is It' possesses is not part of it, and in my mind would not really draw in as many people as Disney seems to be assuming. It is merely a reminder of the performer that Michael Jackson was, and not how dedicated he still was to his career even in his final weeks.

PhantomX

Captain EO was top notch I will make a special visit to Epcot to see it. The current Imagination pavillion is terrible. Something new (with the real figment and dreamfinder) would be ideal but even swapping out Honey for the far superior EO would be a tremendous improvement. They need to bring back more of that old Disney/Lucas collaboration to WDW.

BigThunderMatt

Captain EO was top notch I will make a special visit to Epcot to see it. The current Imagination pavillion is terrible. Something new (with the real figment and dreamfinder) would be ideal but even swapping out Honey for the far superior EO would be a tremendous improvement. They need to bring back more of that old Disney/Lucas collaboration to WDW.

I'm pretty sure Lucas would rather be remembered for his collaborations on Star Tours and Alien Encounter than Captain EO.

njDizFan

I can definately see EO making a comeback in the Lack of Imagination Pavillion. Another way to tie into an already exisiting franchise with a minimal budget.

Figment632

The Muppet Labs are full of "Imagination"

And why does it matter if its a character and follows theme?

Doesn't it only matter if the quality of the attraction is good? Like Nemo... which is an amazing dark ride even if you didnt like the placement of it because you hate clown fish. :lol:

The nemo ride a crap compared to the version in DL and I like Nemo just not as the center of TLS . Also the muppest in no way shape or form be featured in Epcot. There are three other parks for that stuff, slapping characters is unoriginal and taking the easy way out. COME UP WITH SOMETHING ORIGINAL FOR A CHANGE IN EPCOT.

GizmoDuck

Original Poster
Whether you're for it or against it, the temporary return of EO would leave an opening for a new attraction after its run.

I'd certainly hope they wouldn't return to HISTA...or leave the space empty :lookaroun

It very well could be used as a segue between HISTA and a new 3D film

GizmoDuck

Original Poster
Hey why don't they put EO in WOL pavilion plenty of room in there and also for a few other trinkets about MJ just my 2 cents

The show used to be housed in Imagination, plus it would replace the very outdated HISTA

...Unless they put EO into the old BodyWars screens :lookaroun ...:lol:

Figment632

The show used to be housed in Imagination, plus it would replace the very outdated HISTA

...Unless they put EO into the old BodyWars screens :lookaroun ...:lol:

This is what I don't get, people complain that HISTA is out of date, but replace it with something that is bar far way more outdated?

Future Guy

While I'm confident that EO would enjoy a brief burst of popularity, then flame out faster than Vanilla Ice's career and become even less popular than HISTA inside of a year, I worry that the executive decision-makers would latch onto the fact that Imagination "just got a new show" as an excuse to shoot down any rehab proposals.

GizmoDuck

Original Poster
I worry that the executive decision-makers would latch onto the fact that Imagination "just got a new show" as an excuse to shoot down any rehab proposals.

but what happens after the show's temporary run?

this would give them an opening to replace it, as well as HISTA

I don't think anybody would argue the current Imagination is the most lacking of the FW pavilions, and hopefully they will realize an overhaul is long over-due

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom