Will EO bring a new Imagination Pavilion?

Figment632

But you said it yourself! Nostalgia!...for MJ, at least. Seeing that they want to pay tribute, this is a good fit, seeing that it IS (or once was) a part of EPCOT Center.

Why besides this what did he do for Disney? It would hurt Epcot mor than it would help it and like someone else said the average guest would think it was ridiculos.

I only way imo it would be ok is a one day or one week return.

EPCOT Explorer

Why besides this what did he do for Disney? It would hurt Epcot mor than it would help it and like someone else said the average guest would think it was ridiculos.

I only way imo it would be ok is a one day or one week return.

He was heavily involved with them, was used in their PR, and emulated the company.

Hurt, nothing. This will draw in people.

Future Guy

Showing Captain EO as a tribute to Michael Jackson is like showing Kingdom of the Spiders as a tribute to William Shatner. I'm sure Disney will market the heck out of this, and I imagine there'll be a brief surge in attendance by people who want to see what Michael Jackson was like before he was replaced by an alien pod person in the 90s. In the long run, though, it'll remind people why EO was replaced by HISTA, and audiences will stay away from it. I hope.

Actually, if I though it would help hasten the refurbishment of the Imagination pavilion, I'd stand outside and pay people not to see Captain EO.

It'd probably be big the first couple months. But I think the nostalgia would wear off pretty fast, though.

Yup it would be very unwise for them to bring it back. There is no reason to it is extremely outdated and would ultimately hurt the pavillion in the long run. HISTA is not great but its not bad and still keeps the unity of the theme of the pavillion as a whole. EO would destroy that. The Institute theme, Which to be honest is one of the best and cohesive themes in WDW even if the attractions arent great. Even with a redo of refurb they should in someway keep the "Imagination Institute" in tact.

The Pavilion needs a refurb fast its stuck in the 90's

lebeau

For a week then it won't draw any more than HISTA does.

Yeah, I'm not sure who they think will be drawn to this. Are people really going to buy a plan ticket to see Captain Eo? I'm sure there's a few. But I can't imagine it will be a significant number. And for every 5 people who do, there will probably be one person complaining about Jackson's presence in the parks given his controversy.

Buying a ticket to a movie is one thing. Planning a vacation around a 20+ year old movie is another. Especially since the darn thing is on You Tube.

Oh, and it's awful.

misterID

In all fairness, I don't think the youtube viewing does it justice. It's a totally different experience in 3D. It would probably still be cheesy, and still have some nice moments, but it would really only have significance to MJ fans and old school epcot fans. I don't see it appealing to anyone outside those two groups.

I'd see it once and that's it, but even then I woudn't go out of my way for it. And I think that's the main problem.

CDavid

Ever seen "Magic Journeys"?

I have, and it is far, far superior to EO.

Incidentally, after Magic Journeys left Epcot, anyone recall how long it played in the Magic Kingdom (former Mickey Mouse Revue location, now Philharmagic)? I wouldn't at all mind seeing it again.

lebeau

In all fairness, I don't think the youtube viewing does it justice. It's a totally different experience in 3D. It would probably still be cheesy, and still have some nice moments, but it would really only have significance to MJ fans and old school epcot fans. I don't see it appealing to anyone outside those two groups.

I'd see it once and that's it, but even then I woudn't go out of my way for it. And I think that's the main problem.

Granted, but is anyone willing to plan a vacation around an ideal viewing of a 20-minute music video?

I really don't see a lot of MJ fans being all that interested. Eo doesn't even get a mention on any of the (many, many) Michael Jackson retrospectives I've seen since his death.

EPCOT Explorer

For a week then it won't draw any more than HISTA does.

Yeah, I'm not sure who they think will be drawn to this. Are people really going to buy a plan ticket to see Captain Eo? I'm sure there's a few. But I can't imagine it will be a significant number. And for every 5 people who do, there will probably be one person complaining about Jackson's presence in the parks given his controversy.

Buying a ticket to a movie is one thing. Planning a vacation around a 20+ year old movie is another. Especially since the darn thing is on You Tube.

Oh, and it's awful.
I do think that it would be big with locals....and maybe Disney is starting to see that our AP Holders mater, too. :wave:

I think that seeing that they are reconsidering it, it appears that there is a viable interest for it, and in such, a way to make profit.

Oh, and it being awful is your opinion.

_Scar

I would be against that the Muppets do not belong in Epcot they are fine in DHS. I beg Disney please no more exhisting character overlays at EC there are three other parks for that.

The Muppet Labs are full of "Imagination"

And why does it matter if its a character and follows theme?

Doesn't it only matter if the quality of the attraction is good? Like Nemo... which is an amazing dark ride even if you didnt like the placement of it because you hate clown fish. :lol:

HMF

The Muppet Labs are full of "Imagination"

And why does it matter if its a character and follows theme?

Doesn't it only matter if the quality of the attraction is good? Like Nemo... which is an amazing dark ride even if you didnt like the placement of it because you hate clown fish. :lol:
Keep the Muppet's out of Epcot.

I do think that it would be big with locals....and maybe Disney is starting to see that our AP Holders mater, too. :wave:

I think that seeing that they are reconsidering it, it appears that there is a viable interest for it, and in such, a way to make profit.

Short run profit might increase, but I dont think its going to make people buy tickets. Then again it might, I just shake my head at how people make money off of other peoples death its sad. I know for a fact people will not plan their vacation on the basis of seeing Micheal Jackson in an 80's 3D film. Again I hope disney does not go that low.

Keep the Muppet's out of Epcot.

Agree 100%

WDW1974

Terrible idea. Bringing back a cheesy 1980s flick with someone who had a very bizarre life (and death) since. Just stupid beyond belief.

And when I last heard, it was definitely not gonna happen at EPCOT. ... But, for a while, it looked like it wasn't going back to DL either.

Just dumb ... the only reason why they're doing it is because they can get away with it, it's cheap, they can get away with it, they can advertise it as something 'new' and 'classic', they can get away with it, they can put off bringing anything really new of substance to both DL and EPCOT, they can get away with it, they can sell lots of pins and tees to the whole 'retro fanboi' crowd (that seriously misses the point that Disney should be about bringing amazing NEW experiences to them and not selling crap that is based on an era when they did just that) ... and, oh yeah, because they can get away with it.

This is one where I hope Al has his info off ...

redkoala245

I think they will do the refurb with or without Captain EO. At that convention thing that was talking about the Fantasyland Expansion, etc. they said that they are not bringing it back. It would of been cool to see Captain EO though.
They will probably improve the whole pavillion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom