Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

Phroobar

So if Disneyland stays closed for a few months, would the Harbor motels be more willing to sell? Maybe Disney could pick up a few bankrupt properties?

Darkbeer1

So if Disneyland stays closed for a few months, would the Harbor motels be more willing to sell? Maybe Disney could pick up a few bankrupt properties?

No way, no how!

Most of the Harbor Inns(Motels) are now part of big Hotel Owners groups, and have no short-term worries. They also have a pact between themselves to sell to one another, and not Disney.

Will the closures of Disneyland, the Convention Center and other events be painful to the business owners, and the city. Heck, yes. I have been in continuous meetings over the last few weeks, plus more phone calls and e-mails than I want to count.

Bridge loans, possible governmental tax breaks and other forms of financial relief have been a large part of the discussion, along with how to take care/protect their employees.

smooch

1584216283451.png

Just saw this on Reddit. Apparently a statement regarding the upcoming Fall Program is coming on Monday.

No Name

It’s incredible how quickly things changed in 7 weeks.

I meant the closure of the China parks wouldn’t have much of an effect on the US parks, which was true. Not that the coronavirus wouldn’t have much of an effect on the US parks. In fact I specified in another post that any changes stateside would likely be based on how they think the virus will affect things here.

In all fairness, I thought that would be more limited to a decrease in tourism, not closure of the parks.

Emmanuel

I meant the closure of the China parks wouldn’t have much of an effect on the US parks, which was true. Not that the coronavirus wouldn’t have much of an effect on the US parks. In fact I specified in another post that any changes stateside would likely be based on how they think the virus will affect things here.

In all fairness, I thought that would be more limited to a decrease in tourism, not closure of the parks.

I think a lot assumed that. And then once the NBA suspended their season that’s when the dominoes started to fall.

disneygeek90

I don't think anyone could have foreseen just how rapidly things would have shifted here, it's just incredible.

Darkbeer1

I don't think anyone could have foreseen just how rapidly things would have shifted here, it's just incredible.

Look, the Public Health folks (CDC and all the agencies at the State and Local levels) were very worried. The assessment team that I was asked to join in late January were putting on a good public face, which is what was needed at the time, to try and let folks prepare for what they expected was coming, and they were expecting this.

Anaheim was ahead of most groups, but with Tourism so important to our economy, it was the right call to make.

And we are supposed to keep putting on the good face, but in reality, since we have our act together, it is much easier than some other groups.

I was working on my June trip earlier today with my wife. A hotel close to Kennywood had rooms available at a very good price, so we shifted three nights to the closer hotel, a Holiday Inn Express. So the special Pancake machine, and yummy Cinnamon Rolls.

If you want my personal opinion, expect an expanded closure, say to mid to late April, then things getting back to normal for most folks. (The senior population might still need protections). But there is hope for a vaccine, as the FDA has some very clear direction, cut the red tape.

Anaheim was ready for closures by late February, and that means all of the business partners said they were ready to close.

Yes, it is weird we can't go out to a theme park, etc. Not finding live sports on TV, thinking about washing your hands for 20 seconds, etc.

PiratesMansion

Not strictly Disney or Disneyland-relevant, but for an idea of how this is escalating, Illinois governor Pritzker has just announced that beginning tomorrow, all restaurants will close, save for takeout or delivery for the rest of the month.

So I guess if I want to eat dinner somewhere other than my apartment I need to go out tonight, because I won't have that opportunity much longer.

thenerdbaker

Not strictly Disney or Disneyland-relevant, but for an idea of how this is escalating, Illinois governor Pritzker has just announced that beginning tomorrow, all restaurants will close, save for takeout or delivery for the rest of the month.

So I guess if I want to eat dinner somewhere other than my apartment I need to go out tonight, because I won't have that opportunity much longer.
A lot of Seattle restaurants are closing starting tomorrow since business is so slow. It was not mandated but because our local economy has tanked. Some are moving to take out even the super nice expensive ones. I was downtown last night to have dinner with my friends since we have no idea when we will be able to again and it was a ghost town. Usually on a Saturday night the city is full of people. It's only ever like this Christmas night / Christmas Eve. The city is trying it's best to social distance so we don't go into lock down. The only place with a lot of people around is greenlake because it's sunny and we can't help but be outside when the grey goes away.

RobWDW1971

A lot of Seattle restaurants are closing starting tomorrow since business is so slow. It was not mandated but because our local economy has tanked. Some are moving to take out even the super nice expensive ones. I was downtown last night to have dinner with my friends since we have no idea when we will be able to again and it was a ghost town. Usually on a Saturday night the city is full of people. It's only ever like this Christmas night / Christmas Eve. The city is trying it's best to social distance so we don't go into lock down. The only place with a lot of people around is greenlake because it's sunny and we can't help but be outside when the grey goes away.
People keep asking what will be the trigger to unwind this - to me it's when young people who are irrationally afraid of this realize their panic just cost them their job.

thenerdbaker

People keep asking what will be the trigger to unwind this - to me it's when young people who are irrationally afraid of this realize their panic just cost them their job.
It's not all on us. We have been told to stay home if able and any group more than 250 is banned. Tourism has basically stopped and we should have been getting an influx of people starting this week with the weather getting better and cruise ships were meant to start docking this week. It also does not help that all the big tech companies are working from home which all adds up to not being able to sustain small business. It would be nice if you did not just assume that young people are causing this. Most of us are just worried about having a job at the end of this and not panicking about the virus itself.

Last edited:

socalifornian

It's not all on us. We have been told to stay home if able and any group more than 250 is banned. Tourism has basically stopped and we should have been getting an influx of people starting this week with the weather getting better and cruise ships were meant to start docking this week. It also does not help that all the big tech companies are working from home which all adds up to not being able to sustain small business. It would be nice if you did not just assume is young people are causing this. Most of us are just worried about having a job at the end of this and not panicking about the virus itself.
Once everything starts improving: Millenials are killing coronavirus! We’ll be heroes

RobWDW1971

It's not all on us. We have been told to stay home if able and any group more than 250 is banned. Tourism has basically stopped and we should have been getting an influx of people starting this week with the weather getting better and cruise ships were meant to start docking this week. It also does not help that all the big tech companies are working from home which all adds up to not being able to sustain small business. It would be nice if you did not just assume that young people are causing this. Most of us are just worried about having a job at the end of this and not panicking about the virus itself.
Only going by the data points I have and I'm seeing a lot more panic in under 50 than over 50. I'm doing some consulting work for a company right now and they are constantly responding to nonsense about younger employees "feeling unsafe" or "concerned" or "uncomfortable coming into work". Well, they are going to be a lot more "concerned" when their job is gone and ain't coming back for a long time. Silver lining is when they will have to downsize after the reduction in business - makes that list a lot easier to write.

Wash your hands and carry on.

thenerdbaker

Only going by the data points I have and I'm seeing a lot more panic in under 50 than over 50. I'm doing some consulting work for a company right now and they are constantly responding to nonsense about younger employees "feeling unsafe" or "concerned" or "uncomfortable coming into work". Well, they are going to be a lot more "concerned" when their job is gone and ain't coming back for a long time. Silver lining is they will have to downsize after the reduction in business - makes that list a lot easier to write.

Wash your hands and carry on.
I work a receptionist job and I can tell you that our older clients are the ones panicked and mass canceling appointments and the young people are the ones jumping at the chance to get into our clinic. I guess it all just depends on how you are actually willing to view things. Don't forget us young people actually using social distancing is keeping the old people from potentially being hospitalized. Just keep on thinking young people will end us all. It's a fun Outlook to have! Have your self a wonderful day!

Nirya

At the same time, governors and mayors in multiple places are having to shut down bars via mandate because young people are refusing to practice social distancing.

And again, young people are not the ones driving any of this. Actual health experts are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom