Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

TP2000

Original Poster
It's not sick food prep employees. It is the customers gathering together. Folks, I think we're going to have to get ready for regions of the USA going full New Rochelle.

Thank God I live in a nice neighborhood, in a nice part of the country! I would go out of my mind if they confined me to someplace like North Charleston, SC or Kent, WA. (I'm throwing those out there to see if I just offended someone from those two places)

Fun Disney Connection: Rob and Laura Petrie on the Dick Van show in the 1960's lived in New Rochelle.

TP2000

Original Poster
Honest question: How do governments have the power to force private businesses to close? I have a degree in political science and even I don’t understand that. Not arguing the response to the virus at all just genuinely curious if anyone knows the answer.

That's an excellent question, and one I've considered myself. The wording from the recent statements of California's Governor Newsom, Washington's Governor Inslee and Oregon's Governor Brown seem rather vague and lack some definitive statements. They seem to imply that you "should" do it, not that there's any legal reason why you "must" do it.

Nor is any law on the books that state you should comply, and these are all states and Governors who openly disobey clearly written federal laws when it comes to immigration, marijuana sales, etc.

I assume they hope that everyone will just obey, and that everyone fears the Social Media backlash of nosy people on Facebook and Twitter who will bring their full wrath on some mom n' pop business that doesn't comply.

SoCalMort

Honest question: How do governments have the power to force private businesses to close? I have a degree in political science and even I don’t understand that. Not arguing the response to the virus at all just genuinely curious if anyone knows the answer.

I truly don't know and therefor will attempt to answer the question because that's why God created the internet.

It has something to do with powers granted once a formal Emergency is declared.

Edit: missppeelleedd once

SoCalMort

That's an excellent question, and one I've considered myself. The wording from the recent statements of California's Governor Newsom, Washington's Governor Inslee and Oregon's Governor Brown seem rather vague and lack some definitive statements. They seem to imply that you "should" do it, not that there's any legal reason why you "must" do it.

Top paragraph, LA Times (emphasis mine)
Mayor Eric Garcetti on Sunday night announced an emergency action to close bars, nightclubs, restaurants — with the exception of takeout and delivery — entertainment venues, gyms and fitness centers in an attempt to slow the spread of coronavirus.

TP2000

Original Poster
Mayor Eric Garcetti on Sunday night announced an emergency action to close bars, nightclubs, restaurants — with the exception of takeout and delivery — entertainment venues, gyms and fitness centers in an attempt to slow the spread of coronavirus.

Yes, exactly. That seems legally to be very tenuous at best to me.

Example: A mom n' pop pizza parlor in south LA, let's call it Tony's, decides that even though they have been in business for 52 years they don't have the capital or financial ability to remain closed for more than a week without losing their lease, their home, their Buick, and they can't stand the thought of laying off their 14 employees who are like family. So they claim themselves a "Sanctuary Restaurant" and state they are openly not obeying an instruction by the mayor to close. They clear out a half dozen tables so that no table is less than six feet from each other, and they continue using both the professional sanitation levels and their quality recipes that made them a local favorite since 1968.

What would Mayor Garcetti do then? Send in the police to close down Tony's by force? Under what authority and by which law on the books do they do that? And if you claim you are a Sanctuary Restaurant and not subject to any laws that may be placed on the books, how do you enforce it even if Mayor Garcetti gets a law written quickly?

It seems as though restaurants may play along with this for a week or so, but then the mom 'n pop places could just start reopening. If states and local governments can pick and choose which federal laws to obey, why can't a private business also declare sanctuary and pick and choose which non-binding instructions from a mayor to obey?

Last edited:

SoCalMort

What would Mayor Garcetti do then? Send in the police to close the place down? Under what authority and by which law on the books do they do that? And if you claim you are a Sanctuary Restaurant and not subject to any laws that may be placed on the books, how do you enforce it even if Mayor Garcetti gets a law written quickly?

</cough>

Coronavirus Italy: Police resort to arresting quarantine violators amid COVID-19 pandemic
The ongoing coronavirus threat across Italy pushed the local Police to resort to arresting and fining citizens found violating quarantine despite strict orders to stay home if possible.

Edit to remove start of another reply

TP2000

Original Poster
Coronavirus Italy: Police resort to arresting quarantine violators amid COVID-19 pandemic
The ongoing coronavirus threat across Italy pushed the local Police to resort to arresting and fining citizens found violating quarantine despite strict orders to stay home if possible.

Yes, but the question is does Mayor Garcetti have that authority? I don't believe he does.

He would at least need the Governor to declare Martial Law.

SoCalMort

Yes, but the question is does Mayor Garcetti have that authority? I don't believe he does.

He would at least need the Governor to declare Martial Law.

Ah, now I understand. Got it. Thanks.

Ummm...not sure. Very interesting question. Congress has the ability to jail citizens on their own, believe it or not. It wasn't used in Trump's trial or hearings but the name Susan McDougal comes to mind but that's probably not a fair legal comparison.

The Mayor, and the Governor, and the President have all declared a formal State Of Emergency, btw.

TP2000

Original Poster
The Mayor, and the Governor, and the President have all declared a formal State Of Emergency, btw.

Yes, but the majority of restaurants are owned as a small family business. They could take the hit on staying closed for a week, but beyond that it comes to the point of either reopening or closing for good.

I can not see by what legal authority a mayor has to decree that all restaurants in his city have to close immediately and indefinitely, with no existing law or declaration of Martial Law to back him up legally.

There's nothing inherent to sitting at a booth in a pizza parlor for dinner that makes you more susceptible to catching this virus than going to Home Depot and picking through boxes of lightbulbs and bottles of fertilizer, or going to Target to sift through sweaters and pick up jars of jam to look at, or going to an HR Block office to do your taxes, or going to the barbershop and having a barber touch your head, going to Nordstrom to buy some shoes, going to a car dealership to test drive a car, etc., etc. And yet all those businesses are allowed to stay open.

But Tony's Pizza Parlor must close immediately and indefinitely? Why is that?

When a small family business has to make a decision between being politically correct or saving the family business, I think you'll find a surprising number will save their family business. And I just wonder what a guy like Mayor Garcetti does then? Send in the cops to smash the salad bar with billy clubs and jail the cook?

Last edited:

SoCalMort

Yes, but the majority of restaurants are owned as a small family business. They could take the hit on staying closed for a week, but beyond that it comes to the point of either reopening or closing for good.

I would imagine that a week from now the mom n' pop places will begin testing what happens if they were to reopen.

I can not see by what legal authority a mayor has to decree that all restaurants in his city have to close immediately and indefinitely, with no existing law or declaration of Martial Law to back him up legally.

When a small family business has to make a decision between being politically correct or saving the family business, I think you'll find a surprising number will save their family business. And I just wonder what a guy like Mayor Garcetti does then? Send in the cops to smash the salad bar with billy clubs and jail the cook?

Regarding M&P stores, I think the concern is valid and that's why the Mayor directed, from the LA Times, "... the city attorney to look into whether the city can stop commercial evictions. He also announced that the city is putting together a fund for small businesses that will offer loans."

I have mixed feelings over posting what I am about to say but I think there might something here we're not seeing and need to really take in:

It's not like people in Italy are rioting in the streets wanting to go out and play. They are in mourning. They are suffering. And they have taken to singing from their balconies to console one another. Their loved ones are dying.

Boris Johnson told his people flat out to "get ready to face losing loved ones."

Satellite photos show mass graves being dug in Iran.

If we don't flatten the curve, it's going to flatten us.

Deal with it.

Edit: typo

RobWDW1971

Don't recall seeing this posted elsewhere but just a little bit ago along with ordering the closure of bars, gyms, nightclubs, and such Mayor Garcetti also announced a moratorium on evictions for renters, telling Angelenos that they won’t lose their housing during the crisis “because you can’t make the rent,” and that he has asked the city attorney to look into whether the city can stop commercial evictions.

Edit: bold to highlight
That feels good if you're a landlord because the rent you collect isn't important apparently.

choco choco

Yes, it looks like Disneyland won't be open for several months.

Thank God that President Trump banned travel from China six weeks ago, or this outbreak would have been many times worse and more widespread by now in the USA. If we hadn't banned travel from China, California would be like Italy is today, with over 1,800 people dead already in Italy. Hundreds more dead reported in France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, etc. Instead, California has only had six deaths so far, thank goodness.

I only hope the travel ban from Europe last week wasn't too late. Although I question why we still have an open border with Canada, especially since the Canadians have not yet banned travel from China or Europe. But I imagine we'll close the border with Canada sometime later this week.

But the CDC announcement tonight doesn't seem to allow Disneyland or WDW to open until the middle of May at the earliest. I had figured last week that the two week statement from Disney was bunk, but I didn't want to stir panic last week and mention that. The cat is out of the bag now, and Disneyland will likely be closed for months.

What the heck are you talking about? The virus is already here. Closing borders now does nothing. Almost every public health official states that we are about two weeks behind where Italy is right now...so...I don't know what your point is that we are not Italy. You're right, we're not Italy, we're gonna be Italy. Soon.

We are behind where Europe is...and if those countries, most of which are much better run than the United States, can't control it, there is no reason to believe America's feckless performance till now will make any difference.

mandelbrot

Well, there goes Downtown Disney. Governor Newsom closed all bars in California today too, so I assume Uva Bar can't operate, nor can the bars at Naples, Catal, etc. I guess you could order a cocktail delivered to your table still, but I'm sure Downtown Disney will be closed entirely by the end of this week.

I bet they'll still have CM's in the toll booths charging for parking, though. :cool:
Restaurants that have bars are not considered "bars" and are thus not included in the closures. But restaurants will close soon anyway. I'd expect all DTD locations to be shut down within the week. They're losing money by staying open now anyway since they're mostly empty after the parks closed.

mandelbrot

Well, there goes Downtown Disney. Governor Newsom closed all bars in California today too, so I assume Uva Bar can't operate, nor can the bars at Naples, Catal, etc. I guess you could order a cocktail delivered to your table still, but I'm sure Downtown Disney will be closed entirely by the end of this week.

I bet they'll still have CM's in the toll booths charging for parking, though. :cool:
The DTD lot is completely free now. Gates open. No CM's.

TP2000

Original Poster
What the heck are you talking about? The virus is already here. Closing borders now does nothing. Almost every public health official states that we are about two weeks behind where Italy is right now...so...I don't know what your point is that we are not Italy. You're right, we're not Italy, we're gonna be Italy. Soon.

We are behind where Europe is...and if those countries, most of which are much better run than the United States, can't control it, there is no reason to believe America's feckless performance till now will make any difference.

It will be interesting to look back on this a few weeks from now and see where we are.

TP2000

Original Poster

I just read through the statements from Governor Newsom, and he used words like "recommended" and "urged". So like I suspected, there's no real legal teeth here. They are just trying to get these places to close out of peer pressure.

But as I said, it will be interesting to see if the small businesses begin opening back up after a week or two in an attempt to pay bills and prevent losing their family business and livelihood.

TP2000

Original Poster
Maybe just maybe they don't want to endanger themselves there family's or the employees that work for them.

That's fine, they can stay closed. It's their own private business, they should be able to do whatever they want with it. But a week from now, and certainly as the April 1st bills come due, I would bet quite a few mom n' pop businesses that were "recommended" to close immediately and indefinitely by the Governor will start considering disobeying him on that recommendation. It's not like Governor Newsom was a part of their family to begin with or was going to help them pay April's rent and electricity bills.

All I'm saying is that the mom n' pop places will start seriously contemplating whether to reopen in a week or two, or stay closed and permanently kiss their family business goodbye.

Unless of course Martial Law has been declared by next week and all private business are shut down, instead of just closing Tony's Pizza Parlor while the nail salon next door in the strip mall gets to stay open.

Your blatant disregard for the actual events going on not just here but around the world are not cute, funny or clever in any way.

Here's something cute, clever and funny. I just checked email and got a note from my VA doctor alerting me that Governor Newsom has "urged" everyone over 65 to "self-isolate" and stay at home. Really? And how is that supposed to work?

I'm actually not worried about me, because I have no intention of "self isolating" unless I get sick or they declare Martial Law. But I also am in a financial situation where I could daily order food delivered from restaurants. But I have no living family nearby. Almost all of my friends are also older, many are old as dirt. I live alone. Take away the one piece I have going for me, my bank account, and I would be totally hosed. That is, if I obeyed the Governor's toothless "urging".

If you are older, regardless of if you are single or married to another older person, how does this self-isolating thing work when Amazon has no food to deliver and you may not have the money to order stuff delivered to you via Uber Eats for three meals a day?

Someone in Sacramento hasn't thought through this "Self-Isolate If You Are 65+" thing.

Just like they haven't thought through why it's now unacceptable to sit in a booth at Tony's Pizza Parlor but it's still fine to use a bank ATM and touch all the buttons, go shopping at Target and Home Depot, go to the barber, go to Starbucks and Walgreens, the nail salon, the gas station, the furniture store, the department store, the Ford dealership, the hobby store, the post office, the DMV, etc., etc.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Maybe just maybe they don't want to endanger themselves there family's or the employees that work for them.

Or maybe they are a Millennial? 😷

I just read this interesting article in The Hill, and it explains some of the differences in reaction to this virus that we've seen right here in this thread. The Harris Poll just did a survey and found that Millennials are somehow the most concerned about dying from Coronavirus, while older people (ahem!) are less concerned. And yet it's all the old people it's killing, while young people aren't being killed by it.

Here's a key sentence from the article, and it suddenly explains a lot to me...

"It also raises the question of what is driving such fear among millennials — is it their engagement in social media that is creating greater concern, or is it their lack of any comparable events in their lifetime? Or a combination: A lack of any real experience with a pandemic crisis, combined with hearing about it constantly through social media, means that they have no personal experience to moderate or check against what is in their feed. Older people, in contrast, have been through comparable crises, making it natural for them to wonder what all the fuss is about."

Many Millennials are too young to really remember 9/11 and what that felt like for adults. Let alone other things like the stock market crash of '87, the worst of the Cold War in the early 80's when we were certain we'd all be dead by 1985, the Gas Crises in '73 and '79, the horrible Hong Kong Flu in '68, the Cuban Missile Crisis in '62, etc.

But maybe if we'd made a bigger deal out of the Swine Flu in 2009 they would have better coping skills for this Coronavirus? The '09 Swine Flu was bad (with apologies to any pigs that may read this and anyone else from the pork community), but Disneyland never closed and you could always buy bath tissue at Target.

2009 Swine Flu H1N1 in United States
60.8 Million US Cases
274,304 US Hospitalizations
12,469 US Deaths
Up to 575,000 Deaths Worldwide

I was on this message board regularly in 2009. We never talked about it, much less its impact to Disneyland. And over 12,000 Americans died from that virus. That's fascinating to compare!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom