Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

D

Deleted member 107043

but one basketball player testing positive and feeling good enough to play basketball with the virus doesn’t exhibit, to me, proof that we need to cancel public events.

The fact that it's been declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization and He Who Shall Not Be Named is banning travel to/from Europe doesn't concern you CC?

Me at SFO leaving for Disneyland:

IMG_20200311_194021_01.png

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
You’re obviously intelligent and I enjoy your thoughtful posts even when I don’t agree with them, but one basketball player testing positive and feeling good enough to play basketball with the virus doesn’t exhibit, to me, proof that we need to cancel public events.

Every team can be connected in the last week plus all the staff and media. It spirals out off of one person.

Curious Constance

The fact that it's been declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization and He Who Shall Not Be Named is banning travel to/from Europe doesn't concern you CC?

Me at SFO leaving for Disneyland:

View attachment 455685

I don’t know. I mean the things that are happening sound concerning on the surface, I just really feel like the world is focused on this one thing, and the focus is causing panic, which is causing pressure for reactions to occur and that is causing more panic, but it seems like a number of other things could have the same focus put on them and cause the same panic. It’s just odd to me how hypocritical reactions can be.

Nirya

You’re obviously intelligent and I enjoy your thoughtful posts even when I don’t agree with them, but one basketball player testing positive and feeling good enough to play basketball with the virus doesn’t exhibit, to me, proof that we need to cancel public events.

The point is that people can feel perfectly healthy and still be able to transmit the disease/be unwitting carriers.

It’s maybe worse in this case since Gobert went out of his way to taunt the reactions to limiting the exposure just two days ago, because it’s an example that people can be incredibly dumb about this whole thing and end up getting infected because of it.

I guess the University of California schools are closing down. The community college that my wife works at will remain open. If the region has a case, they will remain open. If a student gets sick then it will depend on the circumstances and they will reevaluate.
I am currently teaching this quarter at a UC, and yesterday they sprung on us that all in-person finals are cancelled... My final was scheduled for this Saturday 😒. So I had to quickly scramble and figure out what I would do instead. It's been a messy week.

D

Deleted member 107043

I checked CNN and it says that it was later clarified by the administration that this European travel ban is mainly for foreign nationals. If you are a US citizen, you should still be allowed to leave and re-enter the country. Trip not necessarily off!

Pfft... I would not travel out of the country right now given how fluid things are, especially not to Asia or Europe.

If it's non-essential don't do it.

TashK

Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson contract COVID-19 whilst filming here in Australia- well we think.
All week we have been getting positive results from travellers back from the US, so what I think it tells us is that both countries have some explaining to do on why it took them so long to start testing.

PiratesMansion

Pfft... I would not travel out of the country right now given how fluid things are, especially not to Asia or Europe.

If it's non-essential don't do it.

Fair enough. His call, however (though best case scenario would probably be to see if everything could be cancelled and rebooked with these newly forgiving refund policies going around).

Curious Constance

The point is that people can feel perfectly healthy and still be able to transmit the disease/be unwitting carriers.

It’s maybe worse in this case since Gobert went out of his way to taunt the reactions to limiting the exposure just two days ago, because it’s an example that people can be incredibly dumb about this whole thing and end up getting infected because of it.

Okay, I had no idea who this person is or what they said or what your point was.

Nirya

Okay, I had no idea who this person is or what they said or what your point was.

Honestly fair, I assumed the tweet had enough context in it, but I can definitely see how it wasn't the best on that front.

Also for the record, the timing suggests the mic stunt is not where he contracted the virus, but at the same time all the journalists whose mic he touched should probably consider self-quarantining at this point.

TP2000

Original Poster
I don’t know. I mean the things that are happening sound concerning on the surface, I just really feel like the world is focused on this one thing, and the focus is causing panic, which is causing pressure for reactions to occur and that is causing more panic, but it seems like a number of other things could have the same focus put on them and cause the same panic. It’s just odd to me how hypocritical reactions can be.

It seems as though this panic will not stop until absolutely no one dies from coronavirus and no one tests positive for coronavirus.

Meanwhile, 22 Americans died last week in a freak midnight tornado in Tennessee, 1,000 Americans die each week because of the flu, 700 Americans die each week in car crashes on American roads, 800 Americans die each week due to Opioid overdose, 150 Americans drown each week in backyard pools, etc., etc.

D

Deleted member 107043

It seems as though this panic will not stop until absolutely no one dies from coronavirus and no one tests positive for coronavirus.

Meanwhile, 22 Americans died last week in a freak midnight tornado in Tennessee, 1,000 Americans die each week because of the flu, 700 Americans die each week in car crashes on American roads, 800 Americans die each week due to Opioid overdose, 150 Americans drown each week in backyard pools, etc., etc.

This kind of mindset is exactly why we are where we are today with this disease. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

TP2000

Original Poster
This kind of mindset is exactly why we are where are today with this disease. 🤦🏾‍♂️

But Hans, you didn't cancel your trip to Disneyland for this weekend even though you have not been tested for coronavirus and have no way of knowing whether you are a virus carrier or not.

I had a bit of a head cold last week, very mild, but for about two days I had a cough and stuffy nose. Was it coronavirus? Could be. I can go years and years without getting a cold or flu, and when I do get sick it's generally just a short two-day head cold with mild symptoms. Many folks with coronavirus have those exact symptoms, and some folks with coronavirus don't even show any symptoms.

There's no way to know who has the virus and who doesn't, absent of testing anyone who sneezes or coughs twice in a row. So I'm just going to keep living my life, and washing my hands an extra time or two per day like I always do during flu season.

Curious Constance

And I don’t want to seem insensitive to people that are infected or dying from the disease because I know unfortunately that happens. And it really is unfortunate. And I think it is important that we all do what we can to help contain the spread, within reason. I just really feel like reason has gone out the window at this point. Should we cripple the economy, make thousands upon thousands lose their homes and jobs, etc? Again, why does no one bat an eye to the flu spreading every winter or trying to contain that????

DrAlice

I haven't caught up on the last 5 pages (y'all have been busy tonight!!), but I want to throw this out there.

There are only a few campuses that are moving classes online for which I know details (I've been busy dealing with my own online moving). Here is what I know: campus computer labs remain open (so students can access the internet), the campus libraries remain open, sports are still happening (without spectators), and clubs are still meeting and doing their thing. For real. It's in their press releases. Maybe this is some wacky thing going on up here.??? What are your SoCal schools doing in this regard?

This is really a tough situation. The campuses can't win either way. If they do nothing and there is an outbreak, that's bad press and everyone will blame them for not doing something about it in the first place. Yet, with the current situation we are forcing instructors into teaching online that may have no experience with that teaching modality. Teaching online is not easy to do. It's certainly not easy to do WELL and make sure the students are getting a quality education. (While they are still passing around the virus while they are playing sports and going to their club meetings.)

I don't know what the answer to all of this is. I'm really of two minds on this whole thing. On the one hand, I see S. Korea's numbers and I want to scream for everyone to wash their hands and calm down. On the other hand, I see what's going on in Italy and I think we should do what we can to prevent a complete shut down of our society. Ugh... What a mess. If you need me I'll be in the corner with the last of the Girl Scout cookies eating my feelings.

TP2000

Original Poster
NOOOOO

You realize that Mr. and Mrs. Hanks are not dead, right? They reported they had a cold and felt bad for a couple days, past tense, and are now feeling better even though they have tested positive for coronavirus.

They aren't dead. They had cold symptoms. They got better after a couple days and are now self-quarantining in a luxury rental home. They are not dead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom