Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

TP2000

Original Poster
Also allowing the UK to be exempt leaves the obvious loophole of people just going to the UK first (especially since that country has been doing such a good job of having a functioning government in recent months).

I would imagine it will work exactly the same way that the China travel ban worked. You may not enter the USA if your passport says you have been in China in the previous 14 days.

Which is why when Shanghai Disneyland shut down they had to send all the American CM's working there to second countries to wait for 14 days before they could fly home to the USA.

Emmanuel

NBA update
6E8A94ED-4D65-4710-81D0-EA8E60890DC6.jpeg

BrianLo

Seasonal flu has an RO rate of around 1.3. COVID-19's RO rate is around 2-3.11, which puts it around Norovirus/Ebola territory.

Seasonal flu has a vaccination and underlying component of herd immunity, with even more of the population having contracted a strain at some point in recent years. This certainly effects somewhat the transmissibility. Which, IS an issue for at risk populations and immunocompromised patients without a doubt.

Even if none of those things are meaningful, there still remains (for the moment) far more circulating cases of the flu. The odds of us getting the flu next week or the novel coronavirus are orders of magnitude different (unless you find yourself a contact of course), despite coronavirus theoretically having a higher R0 value.

Measles is of course significantly higher than both, but a generation seemingly doesn't care about vaccinations. 🤷‍♂️

The primary issues still very much remain the lack of accessible vaccine and *ADULT* hospital sites not being used to or capable of dealing with large surges in patient volume. Very much pertinent of course. Our patient volume naturally explodes in the winter and no one bothers to send out alerts about RSV/Paraflu/Influenza volumes.

My hope is this borderline lunacy translates to better overall understanding of health care inefficiencies, needs for expanded capacity and a general population that discovers the miracle that is vaccines. But the housewives panicking and clearing Costco with their unvaccinated children at home are their own special category of missing the mark.

Nirya

OK, the NBA's main revenue by far, as with most other pro sports is TV/Media rights. They aren't taking as big of a hit as you might think.

The NCAA is non-profit, TV once again is the key source of funds. Heck, all the events are actually hosted by local colleges, who bid for the rights to host games in their city.

So they have a much different business model than Theme Parks, Concerts, Plays, etc.

The NBA just suspended the season, so......

TP2000

Original Poster
Maybe it's not OK? Maybe the longer Anaheim and Disney keep the place open, they are making fools of themselves?

Perhaps. But I don't think so. All of this is feeding off of public panic and fear.

It's just interesting to me to see how some folks feel the college closures are needed, but then will balk if you mention closing Disneyland USA.

flutas

I'm very curious... do the folks who are most worried about this like @Nirya, @flutas and @TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives feel that Disneyland should still be open when college campuses a few miles away are closed?

I personally think and expected Disneyland to close earlier this week. The fact it's still open is shocking, but I think it will be forced to close soon, either by government order (state, county or city) or just for PR appearances.

OK, the NBA's main revenue by far, as with most other pro sports is TV/Media rights. They aren't taking as big of a hit as you might think.

The NBA *just* announced that they are suspending their season indefinitely most likely due the a NBA Jazz player testing positive, I fully expect to see a case come out of a Disney park in the US soon (probably a lawsuit too knowing america) and subsequent closure.

Additionally I am now fully going into "self quarantine" mode, I may be young < 25 but I am in a high risk group due to pre-existing conditions, luckily i have a 90 day supply of medicine in my home already.

Last edited:

Nirya

If you're wondering why cancelling public events and probably shutting down Disneyland is a good idea, let me present Exhibit A:

el_super

Perhaps. But I don't think so. All of this is feeding off of public panic and fear.

Yeah, it is mostly fear. But fear shouldn't be so easily discounted.

Just saw that OC is now recommending people over 60 avoid large crowds. I guess its something?

IMG_20200311_184642.jpg

Curious Constance

Released by who?

Guys, we really need to consider where we get our information on this. Right now is an incredibly critical time that will decide whether we face a bad pandemic or an unprecedented national catastrophe. I'm linking an article that has the most comprehensive data I could find on this. I urge everyone to read it.

I understand that and trust very few informational sources. It was either the WHO or CDC that made that statement, but that’s been a while, they may have changed their tune.

Jwink

I personally think and expected Disneyland to close earlier this week. The fact it's still open is shocking, but I think it will be forced to close soon, either by government order (state, county or city) or just for PR appearances.

The NBA *just* announced that they are suspending their season indefinitely most likely due the a NBA Jazz player testing positive, I fully expect to see a case come out of a Disney park in the US soon (probably a lawsuit too knowing america) and subsequent closure.

Additionally I am now fully going into "self quarantine" mode, I may be young < 25 but I am in a high risk group due to pre-existing conditions, luckily i have a 90 day supply of medicine in my home already.

If they mandate close it even unionized employees will not be protected or paid

Curious Constance

If you're wondering why cancelling public events and probably shutting down Disneyland is a good idea, let me present Exhibit A:

You’re obviously intelligent and I enjoy your thoughtful posts even when I don’t agree with them, but one basketball player testing positive and feeling good enough to play basketball with the virus doesn’t exhibit, to me, proof that we need to cancel public events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom