Will Disneyland USA suffer? ALL Of Disney's Theme Parks Now Closed - Reopening Dates Unknown

TP2000

Original Poster
UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach College have just announced this afternoon that they are closing their campuses and moving all classes online, effective immediately. Those are all the campuses closest to Disneyland, except for Chapman University.

I'm very curious... do the folks who are most worried about this like @Nirya, @flutas and @TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives feel that Disneyland should still be open when college campuses a few miles away are closed?

San Francisco has just banned any public assembly larger than 1,000 people, meaning tomorrow's NBA game at the Chase Center will be played in an empty arena.

In a public opinion environment such as this, what makes Disneyland immune? 2,500 people per hour ride Pirates of the Caribbean and grab those handles to step down into and pull themselves up out of the boat, to the tune of 40 people every 20 seconds. If you can't sit next to someone in class without killing your grandma, or attend a basketball game without killing your elderly neighbor, why would Disneyland still be open?

I'm curious to hear some rationale behind why Disneyland would be immune to this.

Last edited:

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach College have just announced this afternoon that they are closing their campuses and moving all classes online, effective immediately. Those are all the campuses closest to Disneyland, except for Chapman University.

I'm very curious... do the folks who are most worried about this like @Nirya, @flutas and @TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives feel that Disneyland should still be open when college campuses a few miles away are closed?

I'm really split on this.

Colleges need to move to online learning. Businesses need to move to work from home. Those are mandatory areas of our lives that we can't just shirk.

I would love to think that people going to sporting events, vacations, theme parks, etc. could self-regulate. The reality is they can't and that's a shame. You shouldn't have to tell people not to go to a sporting event. People should naturally say I'm ill, I'm not going to go (and I know symptoms can take five days to show up, etc.) and not put others at risk. The reality is, people will still go and it won't matter.

With Spring Break already under way and only going to get worse over the next 4-6 weeks, I definitely think they should at least shutter for a week or two. To help slow the spread of the disease. And I know everyone will say that Disney is losing hundreds of millions in revenue. This is a company that had a net income of $11 billion in FY2019. I'm not going to cry for them. They can also do plenty to take care of their employees as well as can MOST companies who are posting multi-billion dollars in profits. They could easily take care of their employees and still post profits in the face of this pandemic.

I'm expecting Disney to either shut down for a week or two or (and possibly also) start offering some discounts for the summer to either delay guests where they can and drum up additional business for the summer.

Jwink

I respect you. Like your posts. Would even have a drink with you.

I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried on your posts. This is not about what has happened or is happening. This is about the potential. This is a disease that is contagious. This is not about who you might come in contact with, but the people you might come in contact with later and the people those might come in contact with.

The worst part about it is our government's handling of this. It's abysmal is probably the nicest thing I could say about it. Them sticking their head in the sand is horrendous. People are dying. People are sick. People are not able to get tested for this in many situations. So yes, people should worry a bit and make sure they're prepared.

Limiting exposure is crucial right now. If millions of people get sick all of a sudden? That's bad. Because then exponentially more will get sick. And our healthcare system simply can't handle that kind of volume right now. They don't even have tests to confirm. So instead of potentially risking millions showing up at a hospital because they feel 'sick', they need to limit the chances of that happening where possible. Colleges closing down is a great idea and shifting to online classes. I have no problem with that. Businesses having workers work from home is a great idea.

Maybe when Spring/Summer gets here and the warmer temps come with it (nice, balmy 86 degrees today in DFW), the virus spread will staunch. We don't know that though. There's a lot we don't know about this. Right now, I'm in between not concerned at all and freaking out. Probably closer to 'I'm going to pay attention, stock up on some things that we may need in case everything starts to shutter, and being proactive in decisions'. I'm also not cancelling trips or have put hazmat containers around my house (though I'm ordering some blackout film to help cool my house). We all know someone (I imagine) that could get this and be seriously affected. My mother is one, she suffers from MS, and if she gets this it will be bad. A common cold is bad for her. This would be really, really bad.

So can we tone down the mocking nature of your posts? Because you're well respected on these forums and I think you can provide some keen insight. I think, yes, many are overreacting. I don't disagree with no fans at March Madness or at games for a while. Let's stop this virus in its tracks. If our government was doing more, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but they're content with sticking their heads in the sand and waiting until Jared Kushner make a decision (the profanity-laced tirade I went on when I found that out would surely get me banned from this place).

*hops off soapbox*
But what about the people who cannot work from home? Like entertainment employees at Walt Disney World? What about them? Our household for instance… I know it’s not all about me but our household would not make it. We would lose our home our cars we have kids to think about. So what about those people who can’t work from home? Then what?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
But what about the people who cannot work from home? Like entertainment employees at Walt Disney World? What about them? Our household for instance… I know it’s not all about me but our household would not make it. We would lose our home our cars we have kids to think about. So what about those people who can’t work from home? Then what?

Your employer or government should cover your wages. That shouldn't even be a debate or conversation. That should be automatic.

Jwink

Also… There needs to be some sanctioning for mortgage companies etc. that allow a reprieve for people who are affected by this. I live in Florida and they just shut down all public colleges… I can only imagine that Disney is next

Jwink

Your employer or government should cover your wages. That shouldn't even be a debate or conversation. That should be automatic.
But I don’t think they will. I looked it up and unemployment in Florida maxes out at $275 a week… It doesn’t touch with we make with Disney. So I don’t really know how that takes affect and when it would take affect. It can’t be immediate I wouldn’t think

TP2000

Original Poster
Just saw that Chapman University also announced today they are closing campus and going to online classes. So that means all colleges within a 20 mile radius of Disneyland are now closed indefinitely.

I'm expecting Disney to either shut down for a week or two or (and possibly also) start offering some discounts for the summer to either delay guests where they can and drum up additional business for the summer.

Tokyo Disneyland said two weeks ago they were closing for two weeks, but today they just extended the park closures for another three weeks.

It's interesting how you are able to make that distinction between shuttering schools and cancelling sporting events, but are still kind of okay with Disneyland being open to a random collection of 75,000+ people daily. Not that I'm criticizing that, I just wish more folks could also justify using that same logic to keep schools and public events open if Disneyland is okay to remain open.

The panic in public opinion seems to be growing on this, and it doesn't seem like Disney is going to be able to justify keeping their parks open much longer if it's now politically incorrect to keep schools open, host sporting events, tape TV game shows in front of a live studio audience, have an outdoor concert, etc., etc.

The way public opinion is going and changing by the day, I just don't know how you justify keeping Disneyland open if it's inherently dangerous for a college kid to go to his Poly Sci class.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
But I don’t think they will. I looked it up and unemployment in Florida maxes out at $275 a week… It doesn’t touch with we make with Disney. So I don’t really know how that takes affect and when it would take affect. It can’t be immediate I wouldn’t think

A supplement should be added to make you whole. There's talk about offering 2 weeks of PTO to those affected. I imagine if you can't go to work because your company has shut down, that provision will be included if you're a hourly worker.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Just saw that Chapman University also announced today they are closing campus and going to online classes. So that means all colleges within a 20 mile radius of Disneyland are now closed indefinitely.

Tokyo Disneyland said two weeks ago they were closing for two weeks, but today they just extended the park closures for another three weeks.

It's interesting how you are able to make that distinction between shuttering schools and cancelling sporting events, but are still kind of okay with Disneyland being open to a random collection of 75,000+ people daily. Not that I'm criticizing that, I just wish more folks could also justify using that same logic to keep schools and public events open if Disneyland is okay to remain open.

The panic in public opinion seems to be growing on this, and it doesn't seem like Disney is going to be able to justify keeping their parks open much longer if it's now politically incorrect to keep schools open, host sporting events, tape TV game shows in front of a live studio audience, have an outdoor concert, etc., etc.

The way public opinion is going and changing by the day, I just don't know how you justify keeping Disneyland open if it's inherently dangerous for a college kid to go to his Poly Sci class.

Schools need to be shuttered because there is an obligation to show up and be present for in-person classes. Kids may feel like they shouldn't be there, but are not going to risk their grades as a result. Same with work. Do your class online, work from home, and if that's not an option then your employer/government should be there to ensure you remain on your feet until this blows over.

Public events, once again, should continue on, but people aren't smart enough to think twice and examine whether or not they feel well, who they will be interacting with at the event and in the days to come to self-quarantine yourself if you were at a conference or just traveled domestically or internationally while this virus is worsening in terms of those infected. For example, I have no problem going to a sporting event. I also work from home, haven't traveled since all of this began, and won't be interacting that could be considered a risk. If I was going to see my mom next week? I would think twice.

The problem is, people can't self-regulate themselves. They have to be reminded to wash their hands throughout the day. They have to be told what to do and they won't cut out the fun aspects of their lives.

So yeah, you gotta close because people aren't smart enough to tell themselves no. It's why obesity is so rampant.

Thankfully, that doesn't apply to anyone on these boards :D

Sailor310

What's happening with your favorite junior college?

Darkbeer1

How about the Servers, Valets, Bartenders, etc. who make the majority of their income in tips?

Self-employed contractors?

Nirya

San Francisco has just banned any public assembly larger than 1,000 people, meaning tomorrow's NBA game at the Chase Center will be played in an empty arena.

In a public opinion environment such as this, what makes Disneyland immune? 2,500 people per hour ride Pirates of the Caribbean and grab those handles to step down into and pull themselves up out of the boat, to the tune of 40 people every 20 seconds. If you can't sit next to someone in class without killing your grandma, or attend a basketball game without killing your elderly neighbor, why would Disneyland still be open?

I'm curious to hear some rationale behind why Disneyland would be immune to this.

First, I wouldn't consider myself worried per se. Like I said, I will most-likely be fine should I contract the disease, but I am concerned at how this will affect people who are not me.

As for Disneyland, I hinted at it yesterday, but I expect Disney (and the city of Anaheim) will fight to keep Disneyland open until they absolutely have to close it, just because it is such an economic driver for the city. And if you're worried about the effects of a Disneyland shutdown on low-wage workers in the area, you really have to hope the parks can avoid closing, because the alternative is hoping that Disney/other major companies will do the right thing and give paid sick leave, which you can almost guarantee they will fight to avoid.

The problem is that keeping Disneyland open requires a certain level of faith that people will stay away if they suspect they may be infected, which is especially problematic since symptoms don't show up right away like they tend to for flu. As was proven recently with the episode that happened at CPAC, that clearly is not something that can be reasonably expected to be the case, and ESPECIALLY with how few people are actually being tested for the virus at the moment. Surprisingly, the cancelling of sporting events are signs that some billion-dollar enterprises like the NBA and NCAA can recognize that they need to take a hit to their bottom line in service to the greater public good. That's not a decision I expect Disney to make unless something bigger forces their hand, and considering they're Disney, there's not a lot of options for "something bigger".

mandelbrot

Wasn’t it released that Corona seems to Be less contagious than the flu?

Also, why do the schools/events not shut down during regular flu season? Or the Swine flu outbreak or any of the other outbreaks in the past?
Released by who?

Guys, we really need to consider where we get our information on this. Right now is an incredibly critical time that will decide whether we face a bad pandemic or an unprecedented national catastrophe. I'm linking an article that has the most comprehensive data I could find on this. I urge everyone to read it.

TP2000

Original Poster
What's happening with your favorite junior college?

Oh my gosh, that made me laugh! I really should send a little tax-deductible something their way after all the ribbing I give them.

According to Google, Fullerton Junior College has not changed its course format and the campus remains open. Go Hornets!
35087.jpg

Jwink

How about the Servers, Valets, Bartenders, etc. who make the majority of their income in tips?

Self-employed contractors?
Right that’s exactly what I mean. It won’t be limited to the tourist/travel industry even if people don’t feel it all at once.

Jwink

I know I posted a couple days ago and I did reach out to the union representative and they literally said they don’t know. I asked the question full-time union workers at Disney what happens to them if Disney closes and it was a resounding I don’t know. It’s not that they were not communicating or unresponsive they literally just don’t know. I don’t know what Trump is going to say tonight but I don’t think he’s going to say everyone can stop paying your mortgages with no penalties stop paying your cars and they won’t be repossessed etc. I don’t think he’s going to say people are going to get a crazy economic stimulus package that will pay for your mortgage for the next few months to get you over the hump etc. I don’t know how anything they can do can help the small guys right now.

TP2000

Original Poster
@TP2000

Any good statistics on just how contagious it really is yet; especially compared to other viruses?

Good question, but one I don't know about. I'm about to go tune in to President Trump's address to the nation here in 10 minutes, and I suggest everyone else do that as well. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say and what the federal government is doing, especially after today's scathing New York Times article that outlined how the entrenched federal medical bureaucracy totally botched the outbreak in Seattle last month.

Presidential address on all major networks in 10 minutes gang! I'm making myself a cocktail...

Darkbeer1

OK, the NBA's main revenue by far, as with most other pro sports is TV/Media rights. They aren't taking as big of a hit as you might think.

The NCAA is non-profit, TV once again is the key source of funds. Heck, all the events are actually hosted by local colleges, who bid for the rights to host games in their city.

So they have a much different business model than Theme Parks, Concerts, Plays, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom