Will Disney Parks ever go cashless and just take debit and credit cards?

MAGICFLOP

DANGER !!!! NEVER ALLOW A CASHLESS SOCIETY !!!!

Force all businesses to accept cash... If they succeed in creating a cashless society... we all lose big time..
1. Banks can now charge a negative interest rate which subjects all you money to it..
2. if you sell you old lawn mower to your neighbor for $50, now a sales tax can be collected instantly from the government.
3. Gov can track all money moving between people and rate you accordingly... imagine giving you 20yo kid $200 a month when he is a bit short... now that can be rated on his credit..
4. mower your neighbors lawn and it show on your income tax..
5. your purchasing habits to the penny... who saves and who doesn't.

I am scared more about the things I can't think of that they WILL do...

Hammer Disney and anyone if they try this...

NelleBelle

International travel requires a completely different set of rules.

I typically get a few hundred dollars of the local currency for the countries I'm traveling to before leaving home from my bank. It's goot to have for cabs or something at the airport after I leave the US. Then everything else is done on my AMEX card which gives me no International transaction fees and has historically provided very good exchange rates. It's also good to have some local currency for street merchants as you are visiting a city.

I do however find myself not being appropriately disciplined to spend off all that non-US currency before I head home. As a result, I get home with a backpack full of non-US coins which most currency exchange locations and banks will not convert to US dollars when you get back.
When we travel to to Europe, we always get several hundred Euro at our "bank"--we're USAA members so we have to find a bank that will do the transfer for us (BoA typically does it and USAA reimburses the fee). We use just like you, cabs/tips/incidentals. USAA is really good about giving us a great rate since they're typically dealing with military. In case we need to withdraw another large sum of cash, we always contact our bank and increase our ATM withdraw amount while traveling overseas. We find that at least with euros, we don't mind coming home with currency as we just pack it up and take it with us on the next trip.

We generally always withdraw cash when going to WDW as well for tipping. We like to tip our housekeeper daily as we never know if we're getting the same housekeeper day-after-day, especially if they have to clean the bathroom after my disgusting teen boys hav been in it 🤢 😉

Qscout

When we travel from UK, we use a prepaid travel card. Revolut is the current one, this means we can pre-load it before we go, and so cannot overspend. It can also be topped up when we are in the US, if there is some kind of emergency and we would need extra money. If we have currency left over we can then transfer it to GBP and use it at hoem or to another currency, usually euro for a disneyland Paris trip. It can be used to get cash from an ATM if we do need cash, but as someone else said the only cash we use now is tips in hotels, paying for taxis, snacks from carts that don't have a card reader.

Jon81uk

DANGER !!!! NEVER ALLOW A CASHLESS SOCIETY !!!!

Force all businesses to accept cash... If they succeed in creating a cashless society... we all lose big time..
1. Banks can now charge a negative interest rate which subjects all you money to it..
2. if you sell you old lawn mower to your neighbor for $50, now a sales tax can be collected instantly from the government.
3. Gov can track all money moving between people and rate you accordingly... imagine giving you 20yo kid $200 a month when he is a bit short... now that can be rated on his credit..
4. mower your neighbors lawn and it show on your income tax..
5. your purchasing habits to the penny... who saves and who doesn't.

I am scared more about the things I can't think of that they WILL do...

Hammer Disney and anyone if they try this...

Has your tinfoil hat fallen off?

I don't know about US tax law, but in the UK none of those things apply. I sell old belongings on eBay all the time (so your equivalent of lawnmower at a Yard sale) and my buyers don't need to pay VAT (our sales tax) and for these small amounts I don't have to report it as income either. "The government" can't see my transactions as a private individual unless they ask for them.

In London I barely use cash. Last time we were in the US I used even less than before too and paid using Apple Pay wherever I could. tipping bell staff is the main exception where I had to use cash.

Hockey89

I don't know about US tax law, but in the UK none of those things apply. I sell old belongings on eBay all the time (so your equivalent of lawnmower at a Yard sale) and my buyers don't need to pay VAT (our sales tax) and for these small amounts I don't have to report it as income either. "The government" can't see my transactions as a private individual unless they ask for them.

In London I barely use cash. Last time we were in the US I used even less than before too and paid using Apple Pay wherever I could. tipping bell staff is the main exception where I had to use cash.
Jon:

you can’t have a convo with someone with that post. Pure tin foil

MAGICFLOP

What I am talking about happens after society is pushed totally cashless.. your money has to sit in some financial institution somewhere... What if they institute a negative interest rate? or a $100 monthly fee for your account? You get angry and move your money where?

The government plays a long game and we have to watch 7 moves ahead, just like in chess.

You should understand better than I, you live in a country that taxes virtually everything. Once society is cashless and you want to buy something for $50 from you neighbor how do you pay? electronically? Ok, could they institute a sales tax? yes they can. I live in a state that adds sales tax to all my Ebay purchases (where tax applies. ie they don't tax clothes in my state) and oh yes they are private sellers.

In America, if more than 10K (in 1 transaction) is deposited, the bank notifies the gov (IRS). They could make that any amount. or on any movement, hence my statement about being afraid of the things I can't think of.

I am not saying you should use cash in Disney, I am saying don't allow Disney to stop cash option.

I just hope there are enough people looking ahead....

NickMaio

We never carry cash anyway.
Just keep some for emergencies on vacay.
We collect points and get 2% cash back on our cards. This car really add up.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
For the past 5 years or so, I've been strictly a Disney Gift Card guest. Have a CC in the event I go off property (or for the very few places that don't accept them on property). Very easy to manage, very easy to add to, and in certain cases you can purchase them and get some "free" money.

JoeCamel

I did that one year for the Food and Wine Festival. I loaded $200 on a Disney Gift Card at the beginning of the festival and that was my spending money for the duration of the event. Once I ran out, my food and wine fun was over. It was a good way to manage my spending and I tried a few things I wouldn't have if I had to "use" my personal card.
Did you make it past Germany?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
What I am talking about happens after society is pushed totally cashless.. your money has to sit in some financial institution somewhere... What if they institute a negative interest rate? or a $100 monthly fee for your account? You get angry and move your money where?

The government plays a long game and we have to watch 7 moves ahead, just like in chess.

You should understand better than I, you live in a country that taxes virtually everything. Once society is cashless and you want to buy something for $50 from you neighbor how do you pay? electronically? Ok, could they institute a sales tax? yes they can. I live in a state that adds sales tax to all my Ebay purchases (where tax applies. ie they don't tax clothes in my state) and oh yes they are private sellers.

In America, if more than 10K (in 1 transaction) is deposited, the bank notifies the gov (IRS). They could make that any amount. or on any movement, hence my statement about being afraid of the things I can't think of.

I am not saying you should use cash in Disney, I am saying don't allow Disney to stop cash option.

I just hope there are enough people looking ahead....

Hate to tell you this, but banks don't move money around, they move little electronic blips. And have for years.

The Mom

Premium Member
Coin counting machines? Yes.

Banks would love a cashless society. Currency & coins have to be securely transported & stored, and frankly, are nasty to handle.

The one in Publix changes to use it. My Credit Union will do it for free if you are a customer. You have to go to a teller to get the charge removed.

I had taken out about $150 in cash back in late January. I still have over $100 left. The $50 went to buy some pretty masks from someone who only accepted cash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom