Will Disney Parks ever go cashless and just take debit and credit cards?

Raynman

I have heard that some retail stores are going cashless. Some stores want to just accept debit and credit card transactions and not be bothered with cash anymore. I have heard that some diseases like the corona virus can linger on cash. Also, some companies don't want to be bothered with cash. It is more efficient for companies (in general) to just deal with debit and credit card transactions (electronic cash) and not to be bothered with paper money. Will the Disney Corporation ever go completely cashless for their guests/patrons?
They could limit cash to hotel front desk or guest relations in the parks. Cash would be converted to gift cards for use around the resort. With magic bands, phones, credit cards, debit cards, and gift cards, that’s enough ways to pay for stuff.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They could limit cash to hotel front desk or guest relations in the parks. Cash would be converted to gift cards for use around the resort. With magic bands, phones, credit cards, debit cards, and gift cards, that’s enough ways to pay for stuff.
Possibly...

But it kinda defeats the purpose of contactless transactions.

The future of POS is an unintended consequence of the viral outbreak. It will force adaptation AND likely create more fraud/theft scenarios. The scammers are always one step ahead.

NCState

We are planning an October trip. We see that a lot of places are cashless. Wouldn't it be better to have a Disney gift card? We don't charge anything so credit card isn't an option. (we have one but only use it for bookings) I'm thinking cash for tips. Can you think of any places the gift card would not be accepted?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I doubt Disney would ever go cashless. It's simply not feasible or practical given the wide socioeconomic range of their clientele. The limit for Disney is likely their current scenario, where you can visit certain locations and pay cash for gift cards to use in the parks and DS.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I doubt Disney would ever go cashless. It's simply not feasible or practical given the wide socioeconomic range of their clientele. The limit for Disney is likely their current scenario, where you can visit certain locations and pay cash for gift cards to use in the parks and DS.
Elaborate on this one?

donsullivan

Premium Member
We are planning an October trip. We see that a lot of places are cashless. Wouldn't it be better to have a Disney gift card? We don't charge anything so credit card isn't an option. (we have one but only use it for bookings) I'm thinking cash for tips. Can you think of any places the gift card would not be accepted?
The one scenario that ‘might’ be an issue is a location that is not Disney operated. Many of those use a separate payment system for non MB transactions. It’s not clear if there is a condition of being onsite that the merchant (including) Disney Springs) is required to accept Disney Gift Cards.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Too many of their guests still prefer to use cash, for a variety of reasons. Happens in all walks of life, and since they like to gather as many flies as they can...
You haven’t noticed there has been a virtual assault on those wide demographics since spray tan showed up?

And the “prefer cash” types are likely in their crosshairs.

Patcheslee

I'd have a hard time with the idea of purchasing a GCs that are specific to any place. We usually purchase most with a MB, which is then paid with a GC until the last day, but that is at a discount, and I always account for around $200 of our budget being cash so I don't have money stuck on a card until the next trip. If they made us go cashless, we would spend less.

BASS

I never have cash on me and always use credit card. However, as noted above, cash has its value for some. For example, Dave Ramsey-if anyone has read his books or listens to his podcasts-is a big proponent of ripping up credit cards and using cash to avoid debt and manage expenses.

MickeyLuv'r

There are always your foreign travelers that like using cash. When we go to Europe, we always get euros before we leave stateside because it's easier for us to overspend when we are whipping out the credit cards. Plus, when we're getting coffee, meals, taxis, small purchases, we like to pay cash. I'm sure that's the case with people who travel from overseas, too.

In my experience, when converting cash to a foreign currency, the exchange rate is often terrible. You also potentially get stuck with leftover currency.
It is often possible to get a much better conversion rate via credit cards- PROVIDED- you pay attention to the fees that each credit card charges for the conversion, AND you follow the advice below:

A second IMPORTANT thing to know when using a credit card in a foreign country, I'm not sure how to say this clearly, but ALWAYS choose to pay in the local currency. Sometimes when you use a credit card the card reader will give you a choice between the local currency and your currency. BEWARE! If given this option DO NOT choose to covert because the rate will be terrible. just choose the local currency.

Some credit cards claim they don't charge a foreign transaction fee, but then they do charge it via the conversion rate they give. People who travel frequently probably know the best cards, but often the conversion rate is approx 3-4%. the rate to convert cash is usually higher.

That said, it can still be helpful to convert a small amount of currency for tips/gratuities and other small purchases. If one wishes to tip housekeeping/bell services, cash is pretty much the only option.

donsullivan

Premium Member
In my experience, when converting cash to a foreign currency, the exchange rate is often terrible. You also potentially get stuck with leftover currency.
It is often possible to get a much better conversion rate via credit cards- PROVIDED- you pay attention to the fees that each credit card charges for the conversion, AND you follow the advice below:

A second IMPORTANT thing to know when using a credit card in a foreign country, I'm not sure how to say this clearly, but ALWAYS choose to pay in the local currency. Sometimes when you use a credit card the card reader will give you a choice between the local currency and your currency. BEWARE! If given this option DO NOT choose to covert because the rate will be terrible. just choose the local currency.

Some credit cards claim they don't charge a foreign transaction fee, but then they do charge it via the conversion rate they give. People who travel frequently probably know the best cards, but often the conversion rate is approx 3-4%. the rate to convert cash is usually higher.

That said, it can still be helpful to convert a small amount of currency for tips/gratuities and other small purchases. If one wishes to tip housekeeping/bell services, cash is pretty much the only option.
International travel requires a completely different set of rules.

I typically get a few hundred dollars of the local currency for the countries I'm traveling to before leaving home from my bank. It's goot to have for cabs or something at the airport after I leave the US. Then everything else is done on my AMEX card which gives me no International transaction fees and has historically provided very good exchange rates. It's also good to have some local currency for street merchants as you are visiting a city.

I do however find myself not being appropriately disciplined to spend off all that non-US currency before I head home. As a result, I get home with a backpack full of non-US coins which most currency exchange locations and banks will not convert to US dollars when you get back.

MickeyLuv'r

The one scenario that ‘might’ be an issue is a location that is not Disney operated. Many of those use a separate payment system for non MB transactions. It’s not clear if there is a condition of being onsite that the merchant (including) Disney Springs) is required to accept Disney Gift Cards.

Pretty much every location at WDW now takes credit cards, Disney giftcards. It is part of the agreement. Just about the only exception is - rarely these days - some of the ice cream carts, the Swan/Dolphin and the non-Disney-branded gas stations/convenience stores. I think they are now all branded Speedway; they used to be Hess. Every merchant within Disney Springs should be the same: except at the non-Disney hotels, and the gas station/convenience store that is located across the street from DS. Obviously the gas stations take credit cards, but just not Disney gift cards.

And of course eateries at the airport. And of course Disney gift cards can't be used at Universal. I know those are obvious, but in the moment- if you've been in the Disney bubble for multiple days, it takes some mental energy to remember to swap.

I imagine people try to pay with Magic bands or Disney gift cards quite often at both Universal and MCO!

donsullivan

Premium Member
Pretty much every location at WDW now takes credit cards, Disney giftcards. It is part of the agreement. Just about the only exception is - rarely these days - some of the ice cream carts, the Swan/Dolphin and the non-Disney-branded gas stations/convenience stores. I think they are now all branded Speedway; they used to be Hess. Every merchant within Disney Springs should be the same: except at the non-Disney hotels, and the gas station/convenience store that is located across the street from DS. Obviously the gas stations take credit cards, but just not Disney gift cards.

And of course eateries at the airport. And of course Disney gift cards can't be used at Universal. I know those are obvious, but in the moment- if you've been in the Disney bubble for multiple days, it takes some mental energy to remember to swap.

I imagine people try to pay with Magic bands or Disney gift cards quite often at both Universal and MCO!
I think the key is that you should never arrive with only one payment method such as Gift Cards. There will always be potential you might run into something, somewhere on property that will not take the gift cards.

MickeyLuv'r

I'd have a hard time with the idea of purchasing a GCs that are specific to any place. We usually purchase most with a MB, which is then paid with a GC until the last day, but that is at a discount, and I always account for around $200 of our budget being cash so I don't have money stuck on a card until the next trip. If they made us go cashless, we would spend less.

I am willing to do it when there's a good bonus. Of course it isn't a great idea to tie up large sums of $ that way, or hold on to gift cards too long. Around the holidays though some stores gift small bonus deals for getting giftcards, like a free pizza ($10) if you buy $50 of gift cards. That's not a bad deal for a pizza place I happen to like.

MickeyLuv'r

I think the key is that you should never arrive with only one payment method such as Gift Cards. There will always be potential you might run into something, somewhere on property that will not take the gift cards.

Oh, absolutely! I've read about people that - in the before times - didn't want to be bothered carrying their wallet, and that always seemed like a bad idea to me.

I'm not sure if we are supposed to mention specific companies, but a certain big box store specifically offers 5% off Disney cards, if you buy them with the store credit card. And you can turn around and pay the store card off before you leave the store. You just can't get a refund for the giftcard. Still, if I KNOW I'm going to spend say $500 at WDW, then saving $25 is worthwhile.

One trick for giftcards is to carry a mini-sharpie. When you use a giftcard, usually the card balance appears on the bottom of the receipt. I either fold the most recent receipt around the giftcard and/or write the remaining balance on it with a sharpie. Though beware- alcohol erases sharpie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom