Wildlife at your Resort?

real mad hatter

Don't laugh,but I've got to ask this question,as I was asked it by a friend.Have you ever seen wildlife at your hotel resort ?Four years ago while filming at a bridge in PORS, i saw what iam sure was a chipmunk down by the rivers edge,my son thought it was a squirrel at first but when we played back the film it definitely wasn't.Am I right? Also spotted a tortoise on the lawns of Saratoga Springs.Has anybody seen other wildlife at their resort.:shrug:

acishere

I saw frogs several times while I was at PORS. The coolest though was when I was staying at this hotel across property from Universal (Either a Radisson or Double Tree) and the courtyard had all these little lizards running about. They were the size of my thumb.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I've seen lots of wildlife. Mostly rabbits, turtles, various birds, fish, frogs and lizards. A few raccoons here & there. At POFQ, there was talk of a snake in the pool area that everyone was worried about but I never actually saw it. At Epcot, there was a snake in Future World that some sort of animal rescue team had to come in and capture. And then at the GF I saw a snake eat a lizard in the bushes. No idea what kind any of these were.

Upvote 0

copper

small alligator in the water near the gerneration gap bridge in Pop Century. Very interesting because about 6-7 tortoise were not allowing the alligator to move anywhere and had the alligator cornered next to the bridge.

Upvote 0

Vtlsgns2

While staying at POP Century back in November, we saw 2 bald eagles flying around and trying to catch fish in the lake located alongside the resort. I am 100% sure they were bald eagles...they flew close to where we were standing and one tried to perch in a tree I was standing next to, but the branches weren't strong enough to hold it. It was so awesome. I only wish I had the pictures to prove it. My husband didn't have the memory card in the camera:(

Upvote 0

durangojim

At the Wilderness Lodge I've seen a family of armadillos for a couple of years that seem to live by the villas' pool, also deer and osprey there as well.
I also saw a bald eagle over the studios' parking lot in December.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

The one animal that I have yet to see mentioned are the huge amounts of armadillos. Especially over by PO:R

I have seen ducks land in the WL pool. They close it down to make sure the water is OK afterwards. It was funny to watch. The lifeguards were trying to stop them from landing so they would not have to close the pool. "Go away, Go away, no no no no no no no, awwww dang! Ok everyone out of the pool"

-dave

-dave

Upvote 0

disney9752

Let's not forget wdw was built from a swamp, btw most deer i ever saw was going to the tree farm, if it's in same spot, kinda northwest of shades of green via a service road near the car care center, WOW!!!!

Upvote 0

AnnieLondon

Hi! We had a black snake on our patio at The Beach Club a couple of years ago. We spoke to the maintenance guys at the resort and they said it was probably a black racer?

Weve also seen lots of deer, armadillo's and an alligator at the golf club next to Shades of Green. Weve seen lots and lots of turtles at the Beach Club too!:wave:

Upvote 0

dramamama

This last Thanksgiving Day we saw three huge wild turkeys walking all around our cabin in Fort Wilderness. I told them to stay away from the turkey leg carts. Hope they listened...

Upvote 0

devoy1701

Don't laugh,but I've got to ask this question,as I was asked it by a friend.Have you ever seen wildlife at your hotel resort ?Four years ago while filming at a bridge in PORS, i saw what iam sure was a chipmunk down by the rivers edge,my son thought it was a squirrel at first but when we played back the film it definitely wasn't.Am I right? Also spotted a tortoise on the lawns of Saratoga Springs.Has anybody seen other wildlife at their resort.:shrug:

I'm going to just wager a guess and say you probably didn't see a Chipmunk. I haven't seen any chipmunks in the 20 years I've lived down here and Orlando doesn't get largely different wildlife than what I see in my own backyard here on the eastern side of Hillsborough County.

We have an abundance of Squirrel, Armadillo (tons of these digging in the grass along the roads during the summer!), Possums, Racoons, Fox, Coyotes, Deer, Pigs, Otter, Alligators, etc.

There are some Bald Eagles that live along Seven Seas Lagoon near the canal that is just north of GF. You'll also see quite a bit of Hawks, Falcons, Piliated Woodpeckers and buzzards, White Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Ibis, Sandhill Cranes, Spoonbills, Wood Storks, Great Blue Heron, Blue Heron, Anhingas, Belted Kingfisher.

I guess those are the noticable animals that you'll see. Geez we have a lot of animals running around these parts!

Upvote 0

Unplugged

Last year we saw the only gator we've ever witnessed at WDW. Oddly enough it was in the waterway inside MK. (I always figured I'd see one in one of the larger lagoons or waterways.) Anyway, it was only about 2' (very small from tip to tail) and was floating along next to & under the wooden pier across from the Shootin' Arcade.

Upvote 0

Disneybird

I saw a small alligator in the pond at the WL and a much larger one near the boat dock at the Contemporary. Also came upon several deer on the trail between WL and Ft. Wilderness.

On my last trip while on the train at the Frontierland station, I looked towards the ground on my left and there was a snake on one of the railroad ties.

Upvote 0

reptar77

4415418318_b7d127bb0a_z.jpg
Boardwalk

We also saw a lot of rats but I refused to take pics of them.

Upvote 0

gccgrad1996

We saw an alligator

In 2005 we stayed at Coronado Springs and saw an alligator in the water at the resort. I have pictures and it was definitely an alligator. It was a small one, but definitely an alligator. We were walking over to the main building when we saw it. There was no way for it to reach us, so we just watched for a while and took pictures.
Normally it is just lizards, frogs, and turtles.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom