Wildlife at your Resort?

real mad hatter

Don't laugh,but I've got to ask this question,as I was asked it by a friend.Have you ever seen wildlife at your hotel resort ?Four years ago while filming at a bridge in PORS, i saw what iam sure was a chipmunk down by the rivers edge,my son thought it was a squirrel at first but when we played back the film it definitely wasn't.Am I right? Also spotted a tortoise on the lawns of Saratoga Springs.Has anybody seen other wildlife at their resort.:shrug:

Tiggerfanatic

We saw one of those big white cranes eating a frog at Epcot once. There he stood with the frog's legs sticking out of his beak, then one big gulp and it was gone. I thought it was kind of cool, DD thought it was pretty gross!:lol:

I also saw a coyote come out from the bushes under the monorail beam while ruding the bus from the Studios to the TTC - bus driver tried to tell me there were no coyotes in Florida, but I have a stuffed one in my family room that hubby shot, so I know what a coyote looks like, and I definitely saw a coyote.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Curious.

I'm going to just wager a guess and say you probably didn't see a Chipmunk. I haven't seen any chipmunks in the 20 years I've lived down here and Orlando doesn't get largely different wildlife than what I see in my own backyard here on the eastern side of Hillsborough County.

We have an abundance of Squirrel, Armadillo (tons of these digging in the grass along the roads during the summer!), Possums, Racoons, Fox, Coyotes, Deer, Pigs, Otter, Alligators, etc.

There are some Bald Eagles that live along Seven Seas Lagoon near the canal that is just north of GF. You'll also see quite a bit of Hawks, Falcons, Piliated Woodpeckers and buzzards, White Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Ibis, Sandhill Cranes, Spoonbills, Wood Storks, Great Blue Heron, Blue Heron, Anhingas, Belted Kingfisher.

I guess those are the noticable animals that you'll see. Geez we have a lot of animals running around these parts!

Ok,so it looks like it wasnt a chipmunk,now I know what a racoon looks like,so it wasn't that,but don't laugh,we don't have these creatures in Scotland,could it have been a possum?

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

We saw very small deer and an armadillo at FW campground. Birds galore, ducks everywhere, bunnies, a cat at the MK back by the restrooms near POTC. Have yet to witness an alligator, but I know they are there. I'll just close my mind on the whole snake issue

Upvote 0

Kaseys412

We always see the usual Disney wildlife, ducks, bunnies, those tiny lizards that run around everywhere... but when we were at POR this past October, every night these whitish colored geckos would come out and sit up on the ceilings right outside the rooms... I think they were eating the insects that were attracted to the light posts. They were really neat looking and very fast!

Upvote 0

eroyee

We always see the usual Disney wildlife, ducks, bunnies, those tiny lizards that run around everywhere... but when we were at POR this past October, every night these whitish colored geckos would come out and sit up on the ceilings right outside the rooms... I think they were eating the insects that were attracted to the light posts. They were really neat looking and very fast!

Boy, you cant go anywhere without those Geckos trying to sell insurance.:lol:

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Yes. We almost "pet" the Disney Ducks waiting in line for the bus. CBR has turtles and fish and you can feed them walking over the bridge. So many birds everywhere. There are many tiny "lizards" and toads/frogs at WL. My boys love to try to catch them.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
We saw one of those big white cranes eating a frog at Epcot once. There he stood with the frog's legs sticking out of his beak, then one big gulp and it was gone. I thought it was kind of cool, DD thought it was pretty gross!:lol:

I also saw a coyote come out from the bushes under the monorail beam while ruding the bus from the Studios to the TTC - bus driver tried to tell me there were no coyotes in Florida, but I have a stuffed one in my family room that hubby shot, so I know what a coyote looks like, and I definitely saw a coyote.

There are definitely coyotes in FL, but they were rare, especially in more populated areas, until fairly recently, so perhaps he was unaware that they have become more common? :shrug:

Upvote 0

devoy1701

Ok,so it looks like it wasnt a chipmunk,now I know what a racoon looks like,so it wasn't that,but don't laugh,we don't have these creatures in Scotland,could it have been a possum?

I didn't realize you don't have rodents in Scotland! Don't you have some sort of Scottish wild cat though? I think I remember it coming up in a documentary that I watched? lol

A chipmunk would be a little smaller than a squirrel (or a lot smaller depending on the squirrel I guess...some of them get pretty big!) and would have been reddish in color with white and black striping on it's back. Just think Chip and Dale. They're pretty small and like I've said, I've never seen them here. Raccoons are mostly gray with white and black on its face and a striped black and gray tail. They get pretty big, I would say 20-30lbs? and when they stand on their hind feet they probably stand about 2 feet tall. The usually only come out towards the evening. If you see one during the day, definitely stay away.

The Possum is smaller in size, larger than a squirrel though, I would say 5-10lbs in weight and maybe 20 inches long. They're most recognizable because they have grayish/white fur and have a long hairless tail. Otherwise I think they're cute. :lookaroun

There are definitely coyotes in FL, but they were rare, especially in more populated areas, until fairly recently, so perhaps he was unaware that they have become more common? :shrug:

We have one that hangs out in the woods behind our house. When they first started constructing our neighborhood he would walk around the homesites around dusk. They are very easy to identify...he usually keeps his distance though and thus far hasn't caused any problems. I find the Armadillos that like to dig up my lawn to be much more of a nuisance.

I was more shocked to hear about that "bear attack" a few weeks ago just north of Orlando...then appalled to find out Fish & Wildlife euthanized the poor thing who was only trying to get to her cub that was caught in a F&W cage. This after I already had a sour taste in my mouth concerning F&W when their "representatives" were feeding a Florida Black Bear a glazed donut at their pavilion at this year's Florida State Fair. I'm starting to question what they actually know about bears.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I didn't realize you don't have rodents in Scotland! Don't you have some sort of Scottish wild cat though? I think I remember it coming up in a documentary that I watched? lol

A chipmunk would be a little smaller than a squirrel (or a lot smaller depending on the squirrel I guess...some of them get pretty big!) and would have been reddish in color with white and black striping on it's back. Just think Chip and Dale. They're pretty small and like I've said, I've never seen them here. Raccoons are mostly gray with white and black on its face and a striped black and gray tail. They get pretty big, I would say 20-30lbs? and when they stand on their hind feet they probably stand about 2 feet tall. The usually only come out towards the evening. If you see one during the day, definitely stay away.

The Possum is smaller in size, larger than a squirrel though, I would say 5-10lbs in weight and maybe 20 inches long. They're most recognizable because they have grayish/white fur and have a long hairless tail. Otherwise I think they're cute. :lookaroun

We have one that hangs out in the woods behind our house. When they first started constructing our neighborhood he would walk around the homesites around dusk. They are very easy to identify...he usually keeps his distance though and thus far hasn't caused any problems. I find the Armadillos that like to dig up my lawn to be much more of a nuisance.

I was more shocked to hear about that "bear attack" a few weeks ago just north of Orlando...then appalled to find out Fish & Wildlife euthanized the poor thing who was only trying to get to her cub that was caught in a F&W cage. This after I already had a sour taste in my mouth concerning F&W when their "representatives" were feeding a Florida Black Bear a glazed donut at their pavilion at this year's Florida State Fair. I'm starting to question what they actually know about bears.

Och Aye,We've rodents in Scotland,but not like the ones you've got.And as far as wild cats,there just big __________ cats that have had too many chickens for dinner.Our most dangerous rodent is the wild hairy haggis and it's only seen at night,after a few drams of fine malt whisky I've seen quite a few in my lifetime :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Oops Sorry.

Och Aye,We've rodents in Scotland,but not like the ones you've got.And as far as wild cats,there just big __________ cats that have had too many chickens for dinner.Our most dangerous rodent is the wild hairy haggis and it's only seen at night,after a few drams of fine malt whisky I've seen quite a few in my lifetime :ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Sorry,is that word taboo?:shrug:

Upvote 0

disneylemons

We have seen many different animals - one time I saw a small alligator walking on a parking lot (I was above in the monorail) and thought about how would you like to be getting in your car with that under it!

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

Possibly. I wish I could have gotten a picture, but I was having an "I tot I taw a coyote" moment, and wouldn't have had the camera out of the bag fast enough anyway.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

We were enjoying a Flame Tree BBQ lunch on the lake at AK, and saw 3 gators. Not very big but right under the observaton are fence. About the same time DH and I saw how close they were several plain clothed (not Flam Tree or other Cast uniform) CM's showed up and started talking. As we were finishing up the closed off the lake front table and were. I'm guessing planning to relocate them. We were thinking they had a pretty great set up and got to hang in AK all day. Can you blam them for chilling by Flam Tree, the smells are so good!

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

When I was about 10 years old, while my parents were checking-in at the Polynesian lobby, my brother and I spotted 2 birds who appeared to be engaging in X-rated behavior and making the accompanying loud noises. As we were staring at the birds, a much older man walked by us and said "The least they could do is close the door." Very funny to two pre-teen boys!

Upvote 0

PoppinsFan

When we are at Coronado Springs last May we watched a raccoon for a bit, he would open the garbage can crawl inside and come out with food. Watched him do it a couple of times before he got caught.
P5110197.JPG

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom