Why...

THEMEPARKPIONEER

i have been to WDW three times in a year the last one being a couple of weeks ago and I live in California. I love all the parks and my attitude is if you don't like it keep it to yourself. i go by myself and I have a blast.

I don't know why some people feel the need to comment when it really isn't any of their business where I travel to. I am already planning my Halloween and Christmas trips to DL.

My motto is seize the day. Do what makes you happy.

Even you know I have been to Disney World an endless amount of times, Disneyland is still a lifelong destination for me LOL. Tokyo Disneyland will be my rare possibly first and last time ever Disney trip that will never be forgotten LOL.

ElvisMickey

Wow...don't even get me started on this...Lol! I actually get fired up about this topic.

The first thing is that evereyone is different. We all have different likes, opinions, etc. So no one should be criticized for doing anything that makes them happy. I've been going to WDW at least once a year since I was 4 years old...I'm about to be 34 now. It's something I enjoy and I look forward to going every year. I have friends, family, etc. who think I'm nuts. However they have shore houses and go to the Jersey shore (which I can't stand by the way) every year, or have time shares in Aruba, go up to Boston four times a season for Red Sox games...things like that. To them, that's acceptable, but Disney isn't. It's all about having an open mind and not thinking that everything you do is right and everyone else is wrong.

One of the reasons I love Disney so much is because I'm not a lay around by the pool or beach person. I like an hour or two of pool time, but after that I start getting fidgety. I spent 8 days in Aruba one time and was bored out of my mind. But again, that's me. If laying around by the pool for a week straight is your idea of a vacation and it makes you happy, that's great. Just don't bust on me about my Disney trips!

sweetpee_1993

The hubby's family love to joke with us about why we don't take big trips to other destinations: "Oh yeah...Mickey's not there!" We get joked about a lot but I don't care. Go with us one time & you might get it.

We infected my brother so it's all good on my side of the family. Disney is a pretty prevelant thing in my mom's family...I never see any of my dad's family. No problems at all.

We get the random comments and other people who look at us like we're nuts for going to WDW as much as we can. We don't really try to explain it anymore.

Then there's the people who are like: OMG! How do you afford that?!?! There's a common misconception that a Disney vacation is mega-expensive. These people I'll take the time to give them some quick ideas as to how little a 7 day trip could be attained for (value resort, dining plan, MYW tix) and I'm generally met with pleasant surprise. People just don't know, I guess. For those that are still thinking that it's a lot if you do a break-down of what other vacation destinations would cost per person per day and compare it they see the value in a WDW vacation, too.

And, of course, there's those that have been before and don't care to go back but when you talk to them you find out that they didn't stay on-property, went in the dead of summer, did zero planning, and missed 3/4 of what was there because they just didn't know. Oh well.

I agree with MasterYoda, there are those who think vacation = laying around on a beach or by a pool relaxing then going to see a show occasionally or something. Nothing I can do for those people other than give them my perspective: I can lay around or sleep extra at home for free. Why pay money to go to the beach or stay in a hotel to do that? :shrug:

jwarren3768

I must be another crazy obsessed fan too because I'd go every year if I could. It's just a nice, safe, comfortable place for me. Everybody has their "other place", for me its WDW.

Three things cement in my mind that WDW is my "other place"...the first is the picture of my DS on his first trip, the look in his eyes as he got off the launch from TTS is absolutely priceless.

The second was the year my dad died. He lived in Kissimmee and I came to go through his things. It was so hard to do so I decided to take a trip and visit WDW. As soon as I saw the archway on World drive all the grief and sadness and anger was gone and for a short while everything in the world was good again.

The third was just last November. I took my first solo trip after separating and as soon as I saw the archway again, I knew I was "home" and again for those 5 days all was good again.

I'm lucky, my current GF appreciates WDW, not to the extent that I do, but she appreciates it enough to understand that it is my "other place" and it makes me happy to be there. I can't wait to share it with her.

WDWLOYAL1971

My vacations are MY vacations

I have visited WDW several times each year since the M.K. openned in 1971. I've also traveled to Europe. However I continue to choose WDW as my official vacation destination year each and every year. Yet people feel compelled to critique my choice of destination as if they were flipping the bill. Hey, what I say is mind your own and let me be. It's not like I'm inviting them to tag along to begin with. WDW is my happy place, it's my most favorite place, it's where I wish I could be all the time. You would think that by now they would stop asking me where am I going for my vacation or long holiday weekends as the answer is obvious, WDW :sohappy:

trooper1917

I'd like to bring it back to the OP's question...WHY?

Rather than tell each other why we love to go or tell each other it's "OK"; can anyone really nail down why people have such a visceral reaction to our vacations?

Apparaently we have all had this experience and I find it strange Disney vacations provoke this attitude when other vactions do not. I could care less if someone chooses to go to an all inclusive yearly to drink and sit by a pool...

sweetpee_1993

Rather than tell each other why we love to go or tell each other it's "OK"; can anyone really nail down why people have such a visceral reaction to our vacations?

Apparaently we have all had this experience and I find it strange Disney vacations provoke this attitude when other vactions do not. I could care less if someone chooses to go to an all inclusive yearly to drink and sit by a pool...

Because they're momma's didn't do a very good job of teaching them the Golden Rule? :shrug:

As the answer to the question 'How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?" goes......the world may never know. :animwink:

WDW_Princess

I was able to visit WDW 6-8 times a year until 5 years ago when we moved to Tennessee. Now we only go once in October because TN has a week long fall break from school then.

We found out last week that they are taking fall break away and we will only have Thanksgiving break and Christmas. All I could think was OMG!!! when am I going to go to WDW now? That is all I could think about. I almost cried.

As a Floridian, I avoid wdw in the summer, spring break, christmas and thanksgiving. You could not pay me to go at those times.

jjharvpro

I actually got this kind of comment two days before I left(got back yesterday).. People are just ignorant, if they criticize you for it. Some people are "obsessed" with college football(especially in AL), some people are obsessed with Disney, like us!

LALALand

Wise this is, Master Yoda. Judge people for where they go on vacation, we should not. For our ally is the Mouse, and a powerful ally it is. It surrounds us in the media, penetrates us in our memories, and binds the galaxy together in happiness. Nothing wrong with that, there is. :D

For those that understand no explanation is needed. For those that do not understand no explanation will ever suffice.

sbkline

I think it is because it is human nature for us to think that our way is best and that everyone else should do it the way we do it. I remember watching the old black and white reruns on Nick at Night years ago (back when they showed black and white reruns LOL), and there was an episode of "The Donna Reed Show" where the Stones were going to take a family vacation. Everyone they talked to had "THE" place for them to go. The milkman wanted them to go one place, the mailman had his idea, the Doctor's patients all had their idea where they should go, etc. All these people ended up fighting with one another over where the Stones were gonna go on vacation. :lol:

I have to watch myself on this, too, because I have a tendency to be guilty. Several years ago, when I first got hooked on the Florida/Disney Magic, I used to talk it up to everyone. Anytime we would get on the subject of going places, I would tell them that they just have to go to Florida. After all, I had a blast there, so that's where everyone should go, right? My brother even overheard my wife's sister at one of our cookouts saying to my wife "would you tell him to shut up about Florida!". haha. Sometimes when someone I know is going to Florida, I have a tendency to tease them if they aren't going to WDW, and I have to remind myself that it is their vacation and they shouldn't have me or anyone else downgrading their trip just because they aren't going where *I* think they should go. I think we all have the tendency to be like that if we're not careful, and we just have to remind ourselves that these people are taking a trip to a place that THEY want to go, and they will have fun because this is THEIR trip, not mine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom