Why Was Celebration Built?

TheBeatles

Original Poster
I've always wondered why The Walt Disney Co. built Celebration.

To me, it doesn't make any sense. Why would the company want to lose all of that land that could have been used to develop WDW?

It's a nice town and great for execs who want to live close to work, but other than that, what's the point?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've always wondered why The Walt Disney Co. built Celebration.

To me, it doesn't make any sense. Why would the company want to lose all of that land that could have been used to develop WDW?

It's a nice town and great for CMs who want to live close to work, but other than that, what's the point?

I don't think many CMs would be able to afford it. The house prices there are very high.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Eisner wanted to play mayor. The Institute whetted his appetite.

Then it all went south and the company moved on. Quietly.

wolf359

Celebration does raise an interesting question about the EPCOT City's single family homes. If Walt's EPCOT had been built, who would have been able to afford to live there? I imagine there would have been a hefty premium to those homes as well.

Figment1986

Celebration does raise an interesting question about the EPCOT City's single family homes. If Walt's EPCOT had been built, who would have been able to afford to live there? I imagine there would have been a hefty premium to those homes as well.

True, and the fact you would have been leasing the homes would have made it more difficult... but I think they theory was if you worked for a company operating out of the city or industry park you would have gotten a price break or subsidized cash for it :shrug:

Celebration was because people kept asking where the city was, and Disney had land they didn't have anything else to do with... and made some money in the process.

oochr1soo

i thought the whole concept was to build the perfect community.. i want to say i remember that not just anyone could live there, i thought you had to apply at first..

Wilson-uk

our vip tour guide at WDW told us he was the 18th person to buy a house in celebration.

not major news but something interesting.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
i thought the whole concept was to build the perfect community.. i want to say i remember that not just anyone could live there, i thought you had to apply at first..
You could not really do that without violating a couple of dozen civil right laws. For the most part if you had the money and agreed to the covenants and restrictions you could get a residence there.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I don't think many CMs would be able to afford it. The house prices there are very high.

That is an understatement. I nearly fell off my chair when I was house hunting in Celebration. The prices made living in New Jersey look like a bargain. I could buy two houses in some other parts of FL for what one condo in Celebration would cost me.

luckyeye13

I think you may be thinking of the lottery process that was used to dole out properties due to the overwhelming demand for them when Celebration was first being developed.

lazyboy97o

True, and the fact you would have been leasing the homes would have made it more difficult... but I think they theory was if you worked for a company operating out of the city or industry park you would have gotten a price break or subsidized cash for it :shrug:
Do not forget that everybody living in EPCOT also had to be employed. Low rents would have been a means of encouraging both companies and their employees to come to the middle of nowhere in central Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom