Why the DHS hate?

spacemt354

Chili's
I agree that this park lacks a unifying identity. Things are placed in such random areas. You have Pixar Place in the back of the park, yet Pizza Planet is next to the Muppets. You have the old hollywood themed streets as you walk into the park, but make a quick left and you see the modernized american idol, as well as a random lake with a boat and dinosaur? And the rest of the park is just such a mess. It's so congested. I thought the whole point of going to Florida was for the blessing of size that they didn't have in california. Why go to Florida to then build a park with such narrow, winding streets that lead to dead ends? If you look on google earth, there is plenty of room around DHS so that they could have built an Epcot sized park.

And from my family's experiences going in the summer, the nighttime Extra Magic Hours are rarely ever worth it. At the other parks, the night EMH tends to disperse the crowds and bring the wait times down for the most park. Yet in DHS, they only have like 5 rides open, 3 of which generate most of the crowds (ToT, RnRC, TSMM) And now on top of the park being narrow and congested, everyone in the park is now gravitating towards those rides. So rather than riding RnRC over and over, you're lucky you get on once while also hitting the other rides you want to see.

Some changes that could be made? First, update the park's signature attraction, the Great Movie Ride. I would do a spaceship earth time travel concept where you start with the old classics like singing in the rain, wizard of oz, then work your way through the progression of cinema. I think that's what the point of the ride is now, but we seem to have stalled the progress of cinema at like 1980 haha, and then we randomly go back in time to the wizard of oz at the end. So going form the past to the present of film is what I would focus the update on. And last scene could be on an imax screen or in 3D, showing how even the way we watch movies have progressed through time.

Then the rest of the park is really up for grabs. I would try to make concrete lands to try and unify areas of the park. Lucasland, or Sci-Fi land, could be one "land" An expansion of Pixar Place and an addition of Marvel could be down the road as well. I just hope it's not too far away.

J03Y

You're joking, right?

i've seen the original with my own eyes. there was nothing that stood out visually. the only really exciting things were the Peter Pan scene (which was why i even suggested Pirates replace Pocahontas) and the beginning scene. everything else was just either dragged out or lacked in longevity. the one in WDW adds more visuals and music.

jlsHouston

This is our 4th trip to WDW and it will be the 2nd time we visit DHS. While DD and the grandkids liked the park the one time we did visit for the day last October, nobody cares too much if we do a day at DHS or not. Only because we basically have 8 full days on property coming up is it even in our schedule and we are going to do the Fantasmic dining thing so I am looking forward to this event. The one time we went, it felt crowded, the show I watched (Indiana Jones) was too long, the TOT line was too long, the fantasmic show line was too long...somehow I couldn't get the layout of the park down and kept hitting dead ends which I found frustrating...

J03Y

Then the rest of the park is really up for grabs. I would try to make concrete lands to try and unify areas of the park. Lucasland, or Sci-Fi land, could be one "land" An expansion of Pixar Place and an addition of Marvel could be down the road as well. I just hope it's not too far away.

now Sci-Fi Land would be cool!

spacemt354

Chili's
now Sci-Fi Land would be cool!

Yeah, that way the whole land doesn't necessarily have to be tied to George Lucas, because that would limit them to Indy and Star Wars. Even so, they could remove Echo Lake, and rebuild it as Echo Base!! :) Then, if they take Alien out of the Great Movie Ride, an Alien Encounter type attraction could be put where Sounds Dangerous used to be. You could include the sci-fi dine in theater in this land as well. Then remove american idol and replace it with another sci-fi theme. Tron possibly? There is alot to work with in that genre.

J03Y

Yeah, that way the whole land doesn't necessarily have to be tied to George Lucas, because that would limit them to Indy and Star Wars. Even so, they could remove Echo Lake, and rebuild it as Echo Base!! :) Then, if they take Alien out of the Great Movie Ride, an Alien Encounter type attraction could be put where Sounds Dangerous used to be. You could include the sci-fi dine in theater in this land as well. Then remove american idol and replace it with another sci-fi theme. Tron possibly? There is alot to work with in that genre.

it'd be a step in the right direction, that's for sure.

and this would include Star Tours, so i think moving Muppets is necessary. maybe then they could also add Mos Eisley Cantina for a restuarant?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I can't believe we have that many people wanting to dumb down TGMR

Since everyone is so gung-ho on changing the history of movies to be more relevant to the spoiled brats of today, why not rewrite all history books and do away with WWII altogether since they don't remember anything about it.

Ignorance should not beget stupidity.

DisDadEddie

Hollywood Studios Needs more rides! I could do without the stunt show and the backlot tour. I have two kids and there is nothing for them to do besides shows and character meets. The only ride a little kid can go on is Toy Story Mania. I am not counting the Backlot Tour and Great Movie Ride as rides at all.What about an Up ride through Paradise Falls kind of like Peter Pan. A Monster's Inc. dark ride or coaster.

menamechris

Since everyone is so gung-ho on changing the history of movies to be more relevant to the spoiled brats of today, why not rewrite all history books and do away with WWII altogether since they don't remember anything about it.

Because history books aren't for entertainment? If an attraction isn't working anymore - part of being in show business is to change it and improve on it.

I think TGMR has lots of problems aside from changing the show scenes though. I think they need to do away with the cast member guide to begin with. It's awkward, it's someone clearly reciting a script, and they seem to rarely get their own jokes. Make it an automated voice track and be done with the bad acting attempts...

J03Y

chill dude. one cannot change the history of movies. rather show people the history of how movies have evolved overtime rather than just show random movies in poor continuity. it'd be destroying the ride if people wanted like Twilight or Harry Potter or Marvel. those aren't even close the kinds of movies in the Great Movie Ride nor the kinds of movies some of us actually want in it. that's just sacrilege.

CaptainWinter

I think a GMR refresh would not be a matter of dumbing down, but a timely update -- with movies that we react to viscerally and from our own childhood memories, because we (not our parents/grandparents) grew up on them. (Not that, for example, Singin' in the Rain isn't a terrific film -- it very much is.)

With respect to the layout of the park -- to echo what others have said -- the traffic patterns seem really all wrong to me in HS somehow. You end up zigging and zagging and U-turning. I so much prefer the circular flow of the other three parks.

J03Y

Hollywood Studios Needs more rides! I could do without the stunt show and the backlot tour. I have two kids and there is nothing for them to do besides shows and character meets. The only ride a little kid can go on is Toy Story Mania. I am not counting the Backlot Tour and Great Movie Ride as rides at all.What about an Up ride through Paradise Falls kind of like Peter Pan. A Monster's Inc. dark ride or coaster.

1) it's Hollywood Studios. one of the biggest things it's supposed to have is shows.
2) while i do agree that it needs much more rides to at least be on par with its number of shows, i still don't think the Backlot Tour should be completely gone. just move it and made more realistic.
3) on the same note with rides, it shouldn't be a place for little kids. or rather, it should be a place where teenagers love the most because of its thrills.
4) it's a good thought about Up, but lingering on the Pixar area is overkill. just a simple thing for Cars and Monsters Inc, maybe Finding Nemo, that's it. MGM needs cool rides, not kiddie coasters.

MissMorrow

I really think DHS is a love it or leave it kind of park. I love it, but there's no denying it needs help. That said, I don't think it needs a massive DCA-style overhaul. The park is just not that bad or incoherent, IMO.

Californian Elitist

the original was too short. and boring. like, dancing puppets and snakes. really? no.

now, dancing bubbles telling you the awesomeness that is Disney songs, yes.

Is there not a snake in the DHS version? I could have sworn the snake version of Jafar was in the show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
i've seen the original with my own eyes. there was nothing that stood out visually. the only really exciting things were the Peter Pan scene (which was why i even suggested Pirates replace Pocahontas) and the beginning scene. everything else was just either dragged out or lacked in longevity. the one in WDW adds more visuals and music.
Wow. Orlando Fanasmic over 4th gen Anaheim. Each to their own.

DisDadEddie

1) it's Hollywood Studios. one of the biggest things it's supposed to have is shows.
2) while i do agree that it needs much more rides to at least be on par with its number of shows, i still don't think the Backlot Tour should be completely gone. just move it and made more realistic.
3) on the same note with rides, it shouldn't be a place for little kids. or rather, it should be a place where teenagers love the most because of its thrills.
4) it's a good thought about Up, but lingering on the Pixar area is overkill. just a simple thing for Cars and Monsters Inc, maybe Finding Nemo, that's it. MGM needs cool rides, not kiddie coasters.

Without kids there would be no Disney!

We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.
Walt Disney

bethymouse

This is our 4th trip to WDW and it will be the 2nd time we visit DHS. While DD and the grandkids liked the park the one time we did visit for the day last October, nobody cares too much if we do a day at DHS or not. Only because we basically have 8 full days on property coming up is it even in our schedule and we are going to do the Fantasmic dining thing so I am looking forward to this event. The one time we went, it felt crowded, the show I watched (Indiana Jones) was too long, the TOT line was too long, the fantasmic show line was too long...somehow I couldn't get the layout of the park down and kept hitting dead ends which I found frustrating...
First time I went to DHS (MGM), I did the same thing! Everyone was mad at me because I didn't know where I was going or what I was doing!:eek:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Without kids there would be no Disney!

We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.
True...but if you build nothing but kiddie rides then what are you going to do when the children grow up a bit? When they grow up completely?

Walt never said that they have to have fun at the same time as long as they are together at his parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom