Why the DHS hate?

J03Y

Also- speaking of FL expansion, now the parks will have two "Clammobiles". Is that truly necessary? Time to re-think the Seas again? Love the Nemo theme, but 2 clam mobiles? Ugh! Sorry- I'm on a roll- LOL.:eek:

that's how Disney trolls. with two clammobiles.

i see what you did there, Disney. ;)

bethymouse

oh of course! the Dancing Bubbles scene needs some work, and i want Pirates of the Caribbean to replace the Pocahontas scene. but that still doesn't mean Fantasmic is horrible :)
Oh no- it's not horrible, but I just still wouldn't go to DHS just for 3 things (TOT, RNRC, and FANTASMIC). It's a shame. But, my boys like the park, so we go. We spend 2 days @ MK, 1 or 2 at Epcot (but now that TT is down, just 1), 1 day @ DHS, and 1 day @ AK. Not ready to park hop yet- the boys are still too young (8)... but the teenage years are coming! Hopefully by then (5 years or so), WDW will have something new and exciting for them- otherwise, I can see our family not going.:( I'd have to go by myself or w/ a friend.:)

2bornot2be

Just so that I can better understand what you are saying...could you give me an example of a movie that is represented that nobody ever knew was filmed? How about just one that no one has ever heard of?

The Western scenes are not even movies, or at least I could not identify. The Ganster and Horror Scenes are from what movies, I just don't know or don't remember.

chrissyw14

I will keep that in mid for our next trip. Maybe instead of hopping over to Epcot for dinner and Illuminations after a day at DAK, we could instead do dinner @ the Brown Derby and finish things up with Fantasmic. My only worry is how people say that you have to arrive 2 hours before the show in order to get admitted. My wife is the most impatient person on the planet and she would go absolutely ape %*!^ if we had to sit around for that long doing nothing.
you could do the Fantasmic dining thing

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/reservations/dining/fantasmic-dinner-package/

Brown Derby is one of the restaurants you can do the package with
you just have to get there like 45 min before and there's reserved seating- good way to just be able to see it once.

J03Y

It's a garbage park. Everything that's been said in this thread is wrong with the place and then some. The Backlot Tour is the biggest joke of all. "You never know who or what you'll see on the backlot!" It gets me going to hear them still say that. Yup, totally expecting to find MMC'ers chilling outside after a taping or Tim Allen walking around. What a waste of 30-45 min. or however long is still is for no reason whatsoever.

Then you've got three shows and the main ride of the park that haven't even see the smallest of upgrades in 20+ years, a ride with awful capacity and a wait that can take up half of the day thanks to an unneeded FP line, empty buildings and dead ends (Sunset Blvd., I'm looking at you), a giant freakin' hat sitting in front of a beautiful recreation of a Hollywood icon, a tired nighttime show, poor dining options, etc. Yeah, there's two good rides in Tower and Coaster, but… that's it.

I don't know how Disney gets off charging a full day's admission to the place. o_O

Sunset Boulevard is a beautiful place, sir. let's not attack its amazingness ;) or Fantasmic. it's outdated, but it's still kick-butt even if its amount of Disney movies are low.

the Hat is beautiful in its own way, but i do agree. it's blocking the Great Movie Ride.

i also agree on the Backlot Tour being boring and long, but i don't think it should just go away. it's called Hollywood Studios, it should have a backlot tour of some sort. just not as dead boring as it is now.

bethymouse

Sunset Boulevard is a beautiful place, sir. let's not attack its amazingness ;) or Fantasmic. it's outdated, but it's still kick-butt even if its amount of Disney movies are low.

the Hat is beautiful in its own way, but i do agree. it's blocking the Great Movie Ride.

i also agree on the Backlot Tour being boring and long, but i don't think it should just go away. it's called Hollywood Studios, it should have a backlot tour of some sort. just not as dead boring as it is now.
I do like Sunset Blvd.:)

J03Y

Oh no- it's not horrible, but I just still wouldn't go to DHS just for 3 things (TOT, RNRC, and FANTASMIC). It's a shame. But, my boys like the park, so we go. We spend 2 days @ MK, 1 or 2 at Epcot (but now that TT is down, just 1), 1 day @ DHS, and 1 day @ AK. Not ready to park hop yet- the boys are still too young (8)... but the teenage years are coming! Hopefully by then (5 years or so), WDW will have something new and exciting for them- otherwise, I can see our family not going.:( I'd have to go by myself or w/ a friend.:)

just keep Disney a part of their lives, trust me, with a healthy exposure to Disney it will become a part of more than just their childhood. they'd eventually want to go because they sincerely do want to go.

now, i just do park hopping, my family's been doing it for years even when i was little. it was mostly because park hopping was less expensive than going to buy the tickets individually, and you could go to multiple parks in the same day, and i could still go on the MGM rides at the end of the day. trust me, it's easier especially with little kids.

menamechris

I have to be on the wagon that just does not understand the hype around Fantasmic. I see it maybe once or twice a year - maybe... I know people love it and think it is the best show...but I personally just find it to be cheese...Disney cheese...but still cheese. I would like to see something a little more technologically advanced to upgrade this show..and re-writes of show scenes Disney was clearly trying to cross-promote (Pocohontas) should be replaced as well.

J03Y

The Western scenes are not even movies, or at least I could not identify. The Ganster and Horror Scenes are from what movies, I just don't know or don't remember.

this is basically my exact post lol. but i think the Western scenes are all the Clint Eastwood movies, and everyone at least knows he became famous with Western movies

J03Y

I have to be on the wagon that just does not understand the hype around Fantasmic. I see it maybe once or twice a year - maybe... I know people love it and think it is the best show...but I personally just find it to be cheese...Disney cheese...but still cheese. I would like to see something a little more technologically advanced to upgrade this show..and re-writes of show scenes Disney was clearly trying to cross-promote (Pocohontas) should be replaced as well.

Disney lives for cheese :p

but the music was what i love, and the special effects are phenomenal. and then there's the scene with the bubbles and villains. those two scenes are really what make the show. and like i said, adding Pirates of the Caribbean, if anything Jack Sparrow, and taking out Pocahontas would help make the show better.

for the bubbles, i seriously think they need to add Lilo & Stitch, Tarzan, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Toy Story, Nightmare Before Christmas, Pocahontas, and the Hunchback of Notre Dame there to add a more musical feeling.

and a better light show in the beginning and end as well as more pyrotechnics to the scene with the villains would make it stand out more. i do think Fantasmic needs to stand out as THE nighttime show.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member

I'm not necessarily knocking Sunset Blvd.'s theming, as it's well done. I just can't stand the fact that it dead ends at Tower. Such a pain to grab FPs and head back out and then back down again. It would've been nice if they had figured out a way to connect the area with Animation Courtyard.

The hat is nice, but definitely not while blocking the entrance to TGMR. It'd work well in something like Animation Courtyard - similar to how the hats are in WDSP or at the Animation building in Burbank. But not in front of a building as lovely as Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Another unfortunate matter is that many months there's a giant metal stage thrown in front of the hat, which is already plopped in front of the Chinese Theatre! :rolleyes:

As for the Backlot Tour… it's gotta go. Yeah, it's Disney's Hollywood Studios, but Universal Studios Florida does well without a tour (they got rid of theirs when production slowed - DHS should've done the same). And while USF still has some filming going on, DHS basically doesn't, and that makes the tour even more of a joke. What's also ridiculous is that they attempt to make you believe you could potentially see celebrities and some filming going on. Then you see a pre-show based on a decade-old movie that no one really cares about today, drive past a practice parking lot for LMA, head through costuming and a construction workshop, go by rotting vehicles from super old movies, sit through Catastrophe Canyon, drive by LMA, look at more old vehicles, and then it's over. All while listening to an automated spiel. It's pretty sad.

J03Y

As for the Backlot Tour… it's gotta go. Yeah, it's Disney's Hollywood Studios, but Universal Studios Florida does well without a tour (they got rid of theirs when production slowed - DHS should've done the same). And while USF still has some filming going on, DHS basically doesn't, and that makes the tour even more of a joke. What's also ridiculous is that they attempt to make you believe you could potentially see celebrities and some filming going on. Then you see a pre-show based on a decade-old movie that no one really cares about today, drive past a practice parking lot for LMA, head through costuming and a construction workshop, go by rotting vehicles from super old movies, sit through Catastrophe Canyon, drive by LMA, look at more old vehicles, and then it's over. All while listening to an automated spiel. It's pretty sad.

which is why i think it should be moved and have a makeover. but you're right, it means nothing without the studios actually being used.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
sdfkjgsaldgksgjfshkdgf Fantasmic is the magical way to end a day at Disney :( usually, i go to one park first and then acfter lunch my family and i go to MGM and do all the Sunset Boulevard stuff and end everything with Fantasmic. oh you should see it at least once! it's beautiful, even more on a perfect weather day!
Skip the Florida version, yes.

The original? Never!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom