Why not remove Cinderella's Castle

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Remove SSE too. Build an archway with platform 50 feet up so we can buy $200 dessert party tickets for Luminous. Thank me each time you save 26 steps not needing to walk around that waste of space; don’t thank the Phoenicians.

harryk

Such a shame that you rarely get to walk through the castle into fantasyland. What with all the renovations thy do to the parks they have not come up with a way to have the performers come onto the stage without closing off the passages through the castle.

Kamikaze

With the removal of Tom Sawyer island, Splash Mountain, the Rivers of America, and the (beautiful) Lilly Belle, let's go all out and remove Cinderella's Castle. Think about it, it's taking up precious space where we could bout up a new coaster !!!
You care so much about it, you don't know the boats name.

The Lilly Belle is one of the trains. The boat is the Liberty Belle (originally Richard F. Irvine).
To be fair…. Walt never personally owned the castle… he did personally own the riverboat.
He paid for some of the construction of Disneyland out of his own pocket, which included the Mark Twain Steamboat (now Riverboat). He was long dead before construction on the WDW steamboats for MK, the Richard F. Irvine and Admiral Joe Fowler, started. Whether or not paying for it out of his own pocket is 'ownership' when the intention was to put it into Disneyland is at best debatable, but I'll let you have it. But he never had anything to do with the then Richard F. Irvine (Liberty Belle) or the Admiral Joe Fowler.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Quite a claim.
Twain works were already classic by the time Walt was a boy and going in 50 years old. Itnis not like a Potter situation. They were bot of Walt's time as much as stories actually written in and of the time of the end of the Frontier era of America.

And when you make a statement like thst and reference twilight...yikes.

And as someone who is a literature teacher I would make strong cases the list of anything better is quite short.

One could say better theme parks have been built since Walt's time, but likewise, the list is select and short.
I wouldn't say 'better books' because thats subjective.

I would say that the amount of people that look wistfully to the Mississippi River as the 'frontier' is nearly zero, and the people that look at Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn the same way is only slightly more.

celluloid

I wouldn't say 'better books' because thats subjective.

I would say that the amount of people that look wistfully to the Mississippi River as the 'frontier' is nearly zero, and the people that look at Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn the same way is only slightly more.
You missed class ;)
The content is still debated in being taught in schools while simultaneously being controversial in schools and then back again in the same breath, which means it is objectively, strong literature and its themes are direct with the American history both itself when created and content in reflection. Truth and fiction.
And to answer your thought bolded:
A lot more Than Disney-Pixar's Cars.
Which makes Cars an objectively out of place in tone and choice where it is going that diminishes the theme and dedication of the park.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

You missed class ;)
The content is still debated in being taught in schools while simultaneously being controversial in schools and then back again in the same breath, which means it is objectively, strong literature and its themes are direct with the American history both itself when created and content in reflection. Truth and fiction.
I didn't say I agreed or disagreed with any of it. Just that its subjective. I really, really, really don't want to discuss what books I think are better than other books.
And to answer your thought bolded:
A lot more Than Disney-Pixar's Cars.
Which makes Cars an objectively out of place in tone and choice where it is going that diminishes the theme and dedication of the park.
The Cars attraction looks like its taking its inspiration from western US national parks, which, to 99.99% of people, are way more 'frontier' than the Mississippi River. The method they're using to tell the attraction's story and set the scene, living 'Cars', is kind of a different subject than deciding what is 'frontier' and what isn't.

Last edited:

Beacon Joe

mk01.JPG

Disney could easily free up over an acre of unused, unprofitable space that serves no purpose in the parks any longer since atmosphere and placemaking can't be easily quantified on a spreadsheet.

mk02BOLD.JPG

Or even better, why not re-imagine the entire hub area. Even without paving over the castle, which they really need to since it is very "problematic," they can easily free up 6.5 acres, and also get rid of the unprofitable, problematic Swiss Family Robinson treehouse.

Please do it, Disney. Market this move as "Bold" and it will all pay off.

Walt Disney1955

Well, if it’s any consolation, they DID take Jaws out…

Potter as others have mentioned is a land done extraordinary with rides done just as well. That being said, there is still the lagoon there and there was no reason to not keep Jaws. Universal at that time pulled a "modern Disney" move of replacing a classic they didn't need to. For example, Jaws is probably on the short list of the 10 best movies ever made if I were to guess (I have it right up there as a favorite movie of mine). It is so integral to Universal that it should have been untouchable. They could have made the ride more intense I think, but it was still pretty good. And yet they still have it on display. But you build around your core, not gut it.

Walt Disney1955

When I see the announcement on social media on certain Disney pages there is overwhelming disgust/sadness/anger at the thought of doing this refurb. I didn't think it would be at a higher level than gutting Splash Mountain for Tiana, but I think there is more for this decision. Disney does not know their audience anymore.

Smiley/OCD

Potter as others have mentioned is a land done extraordinary with rides done just as well. That being said, there is still the lagoon there and there was no reason to not keep Jaws. Universal at that time pulled a "modern Disney" move of replacing a classic they didn't need to. For example, Jaws is probably on the short list of the 10 best movies ever made if I were to guess (I have it right up there as a favorite movie of mine). It is so integral to Universal that it should have been untouchable. They could have made the ride more intense I think, but it was still pretty good. And yet they still have it on display. But you build around your core, not gut it.
And Roy Scheider went to my HS…it’s one of those movies I watch EVERY TIME it’s on…

celluloid

The Cars attraction looks like its taking its inspiration from western US national parks, which, to 99.99% of people, are way more 'frontier' than the Mississippi River.

A national park system post pacific settlement is literally the opposite of what is The Frontier.

Last edited:

John park hopper

Level the whole 4 parks and put up wall to wall roller coasters --that seems to be what everybody wants --time to get a Six Flags in FL since the original Six Flags closed 30 year ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom