Why no ElecTRONica for DHS or PI?

lazyboy97o

Ummm... maybe we should make sure this movie is successful before we start redoing everything based on it.
Why? Quality is quality. The attraction just referenced is based on promoting a poorly received film in a franchise Disney no longer distributes. elecTRONica is in part a marketing push for TRON: Legacy, and Disney could be reaching out to with the more geographically diverse Walt Disney World audience.

I am not really sure how Team Disney Orlando would have been offered elecTRONica. The project was done by Disneyland's Entertainment Department, not Imagineering. I would assume a Walt Disney World version would likewise have been executed by the local Entertainment Department. Even when Walt Disney World and Disneyland have done the "same" thing, the executions are often quite different. Walt Disney World management has consistently made moves that show they are not interested in entertaining an older audience.

TP2000

I guess we'll have to stick it in MK, without the alcohol, and with some characters thrown in. Nothing says a good time like Stitch! We could do the electric slide!
:rolleyes:

The Electric Slide?!? That's so 1994.

The Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland DJ would be far more with it, zooming up all the way to 1997, and he'd play the Macarena.

And not just the Macarena, but the extended mix version of the Macarena. Repeatedly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXKN5WikUk0

TP2000

Can I just say I love at just how many people misuse (or just don't understand) the phrase "Team Disney Orlando".... do you guys think this is a building that houses Team Meg and that's it? :veryconfu

I would assume that it's much like Team Disney Anaheim, in that it's a big office building designed by Frank Gehry that houses the Disneyland executives and a great many of the white collar administrative support teams and management. Stuff like Human Resources, Engineering, Marketing, Entertainment, Labor Relations, Casting, Training & Personnel Development, Payroll, etc., etc.

Team Disney Anaheim
2681824564_fa7955a501_z.jpg

I wonder which window is where the folks who designed elecTRONica sit?

I know there are a lot of front line lower management that work in offices inside the theme parks and hotels, but TDA or TDO is shorthand for "management" when it comes to the Anaheim or Orlando properties.

JimboJones123

Reasons WDW ElecTRONica is a bad idea:

1: DCA caters to locals. WDW caters to vacationers. The guests at Disneyland tend to be much more casual and show up to "hang out". Thus the reason for much more of a party atmosphere at both the parks and DTD. WDW guests are more active participants in the attractions to be sidetracked by a lazer show.

2: It is the off season. The parks close early in the off season for a reason. The guests start clearing out before dusk. During this time period WDW also offers MK special ticket events. Add Osborne lights, and there is plenty of nighttime entertainment to fill demand.

3: Orlando is a fraction of the DMA size of SoCal. Any promotion for the event in DL would be covered by news and commercials that reach a potential audience of 10+ million people. Central Florida reached a quarter of that.

It would overall be a waste of money that wouldn't provide the synergy payoff for the right target audience.

Tigger1988

Ummm... maybe we should make sure this movie is successful before we start redoing everything based on it.

Seriously, the first Tron wasn't all that commercially successful, they should probably wait to see if this new one has any impact before making it a mainstay in the parks. Retheming Pizza Planet (based on a fool proof franchise -Toy Story) to something Tron related is a bit silly.

Lets just be happy they didn't put a "Prince of Persia" attraction in the parks. Yikes.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Seriously, the first Tron wasn't all that commercially successful, they should probably wait to see if this new one has any impact before making it a mainstay in the parks. Retheming Pizza Planet (based on a fool proof franchise -Toy Story) to something Tron related is a bit silly.

Lets just be happy they didn't put a "Prince of Persia" attraction in the parks. Yikes.

Yeah, it was generally regarded as a flop.

askmike1

Why? Quality is quality. The attraction just referenced is based on promoting a poorly received film in a franchise Disney no longer distributes. elecTRONica is in part a marketing push for TRON: Legacy, and Disney could be reaching out to with the more geographically diverse Walt Disney World audience.
Tron reaching out to the more geographically diverse WDW audience? You mean nerds? :animwink: (by the way, don't get me wrong, I think they should definitely get rid of the Narnia DVD-extras show.

I would assume that it's much like Team Disney Anaheim, in that it's a big office building designed by Frank Gehry that houses the Disneyland executives and a great many of the white collar administrative support teams and management. Stuff like Human Resources, Engineering, Marketing, Entertainment, Labor Relations, Casting, Training & Personnel Development, Payroll, etc., etc.
Well, you'd be assuming wrong. First of all, TDO is three times larger than TDA building and is designed (much nicer in my opinion) by award-winning architect Arata Isozaki. (The building itself has won numerous awards for its design). Yes, it houses the management team, along with the Business Technology group (including over 700 IT cast members), Human Resources, the WDW Ambassadors, Finance, Research and numerous other groups. In fact, nearly half the building is taken up by Business Technology. Groups like Labor Relations and Casting are located in the nearby Casting building. Groups like Development are held at the Disney University. And Entertainment is scattered about. (Fun fact, TDO is home to the largest sundial in America)

Exactly, if Tron is a bomb, we are going to have another Narnia on our hands. An attraction that is barely supported and done half-assed. I just find it so funny that people complain so much when Disney does a movie-tie in at the parks... but once DLR gets something, we must have it to. :veryconfu

You mean you don't want an ostridge race on property? :ROFLOL:

Figment1986

It's not really redoing much... Pizza planet is already an arcade with QS resturant... :shrug: that and it lets pixar move out of that area when they already have pixar place.. menu doesn't have to change much.. and if it doesn't work out Flyn's would just be another obscure movie reference :zipit:

TP2000

Well, you'd be assuming wrong. First of all, TDO is three times larger than TDA building and is designed (much nicer in my opinion) by award-winning architect Arata Isozaki. (The building itself has won numerous awards for its design). Yes, it houses the management team, along with the Business Technology group (including over 700 IT cast members), Human Resources, the WDW Ambassadors, Finance, Research and numerous other groups. In fact, nearly half the building is taken up by Business Technology. Groups like Labor Relations and Casting are located in the nearby Casting building. Groups like Development are held at the Disney University. And Entertainment is scattered about. (Fun fact, TDO is home to the largest sundial in America)

The size difference makes sense, since Disneyland has about 20,000 Cast Members and WDW has about 60,000 Cast Members, it would make sense the administration building would be about triple the size.

But the rest of it? I'm not sure what the difference is between what you wrote and what I wrote. :confused:

My neighbor works in TDA, after working 20+ years at Disneyland working her way up the ladder. She fills me in on the TDA dish over a sunset cocktail on the deck every month or two. There are plenty of minor logistical differences between what is in TDO and TDA, but overall you spelled out that TDO is home to a whole bunch of white-collar support departments, just like TDA is; HR, Payroll, IT, Marketing, Engineering, Concept Development, etc., etc.

When referring to overall management and the decisions they make that affect us, what is wrong with just calling that large and diverse group of people TDO or TDA?

TP2000

Reasons WDW ElecTRONica is a bad idea:

1: DCA caters to locals. WDW caters to vacationers. The guests at Disneyland tend to be much more casual and show up to "hang out". Thus the reason for much more of a party atmosphere at both the parks and DTD. WDW guests are more active participants in the attractions to be sidetracked by a lazer show.

Now normally I dislike that argument, because what it often boils down to is "WDW can't have nice things because it's full of tourists". :rolleyes:

But in this instance, it has merit because elecTRONica took up residence in and around operating DCA attractions. Take this picture for instance, taken Friday night of the crowd dancing around the glowing DJ pod and some go-go dancers set up in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot corner...

5065157641_6910b1cf48_z.jpg

See that weird backdrop behind the go-go dancer in the back? That's the entrance to the Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue! dark ride there in the background. Can you imagine the average tourist family from Canton, Ohio trying to get across the packed dance floor to get to that ride after sundown? :lol:

monsters-inc-ride.jpg

In addition, they are closing MuppetVision for the last four hours of the parks operating day in order to play the 10 minute 3-D preview for Tron:Legacy in that digital theater. There's an entire attraction shut down and replaced with a movie promo. Now, it works in DCA because Monsters Inc. is just one of 8 cutesy dark rides within a 15 minute walk of each other and it rarely has more than a 2 minute wait. And MuppetVision is the most tired and ignored 3-D movie on property now that HISTA was replaced with Captain EO.

But if seasonal rides like Small World Holiday or Haunted Mansion Holiday or Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy are taboo at WDW for fear of RUINING VACATIONS with their seasonally-based excellence, I can just imagine the outcry if a working attraction was closed for a movie promo or a little Pixar dark ride had go-go girls dancing at the entrance. :eek:

If a concept like elecTRONica ever came to WDW, not that it would really, but if it did they would need to find an abandoned corner of a theme park where they could set up shop in unused facilities.

Most WDW theme parks have too little ride capacity to be shutting attractions down and blocking stuff off to have a wild street party on weekends, as fabulous as that street party may be.

askmike1

My neighbor works in TDA, after working 20+ years at Disneyland working her way up the ladder. She fills me in on the TDA dish over a sunset cocktail on the deck every month or two. There are plenty of minor logistical differences between what is in TDO and TDA, but overall you spelled out that TDO is home to a whole bunch of white-collar support departments, just like TDA is; HR, Payroll, IT, Marketing, Engineering, Concept Development, etc., etc.

When referring to overall management and the decisions they make that affect us, what is wrong with just calling that large and diverse group of people TDO or TDA?
First of all, I'm not sure how you can call IT and concept development support departments. And more importantly, it is wrong because you say TDO... and yet you are referring to 1% of the building (the higher-up executives). Saying 'TDO can never do anything right' and 'TDO is shorthand for management' is just wrong. Call it 'WDW management'. 'TDO' is, like you say, referring to a large and diverse group of people... not a building filled with WDW management.

If a concept like elecTRONica ever came to WDW, not that it would really, but if it did they would need to find an abandoned corner of a theme park where they could set up shop in unused facilities.
Now while I don't see the point of bringing Tron over just yet... I don't believe the problem is a lack of space. For DHS, it can be centered around LMA and Streets of America area... as that area is void of any attractions at night anyway. At Epcot, Energy is closed at night, so you have that whole area north of Mission: Space to work with. Magic Kingdom is certainly a more tighter fit... but I don't see why they couldn't transform Tomorrowland Dance Party into something Tron-themed. As for Animal Kingdom, there is plenty of area (though I don't think Tron would fit in here).

JimboJones123

Now normally I dislike that argument, because what it often boils down to is "WDW can't have nice things because it's full of tourists". :rolleyes:

But in this instance, it has merit because elecTRONica took up residence in and around operating DCA attractions. Take this picture for instance, taken Friday night of the crowd dancing around the glowing DJ pod and some go-go dancers set up in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot corner...

5065157641_6910b1cf48_z.jpg

See that weird backdrop behind the go-go dancer in the back? That's the entrance to the Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue! dark ride there in the background. Can you imagine the average tourist family from Canton, Ohio trying to get across the packed dance floor to get to that ride after sundown? :lol:

monsters-inc-ride.jpg

In addition, they are closing MuppetVision for the last four hours of the parks operating day in order to play the 10 minute 3-D preview for Tron:Legacy in that digital theater. There's an entire attraction shut down and replaced with a movie promo. Now, it works in DCA because Monsters Inc. is just one of 8 cutesy dark rides within a 15 minute walk of each other and it rarely has more than a 2 minute wait. And MuppetVision is the most tired and ignored 3-D movie on property now that HISTA was replaced with Captain EO.

But if seasonal rides like Small World Holiday or Haunted Mansion Holiday or Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy are taboo at WDW for fear of RUINING VACATIONS with their seasonally-based excellence, I can just imagine the outcry if a working attraction was closed for a movie promo or a little Pixar dark ride had go-go girls dancing at the entrance. :eek:

Most WDW theme parks have too little ride capacity to be shutting attractions down and blocking stuff off to have a wild street party on weekends, as fabulous as that street party may be.

And that us the big key and problem lingering at WDW -- lack of attractions. DCA has more than AK and DHS combined. But hey, you can burn 2.5 hrs at TSM line, another 90 minutes waiting for Lights, Stuntcars, and something else, and AK offers a good 2 hours of walking. That's a half day that you couldn't even use at DCA anyways. Oh, did I mention they are adding 5 new attractions in the next 20 months. DCA and AK are getting NONE!

_Scar

It sounds like you would absolutely hate elecTRONica then, and would have disliked Glow Fest, and might even not like the average Saturday night at Disneyland when there is rock n' roll dancing at Tomorrowland Terrace and Big Band swing dancing at Plaza Gardens. :animwink:

The videos from last night's premiere of elecTRONica are flooding in on YouTube now, as this clearly caught people's fancy and they wanted to share.

For those interested in seeing what all the fuss is about, here's a great 3 minute long video that offers clips and highlights of the first night of elecTRONica.
WARNING: Images of people dancing and having fun after dark in a Disney theme park! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_Tyc9mTa4

I also find the LaserMan shows that happen several times per night at elecTRONica to be amazing to watch! This is one thing I won't want to miss, as I can't figure out how some of those stunts are done, especially around the 1:00 minute mark... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uFtd09Yt4

This elecTRONica concept could have slotted nicely into Epcot or DHS as a fall/winter entertainment offering. And yet, it didn't get a greenlight from TDO, if they even considered it to begin with. With all that talk of "One Disney" and the Disney Parks homogenization, you would think major entertainment pieces dripping with movie synergy like this would be amongst the first thing to be cloned on birth at both American properties. :veryconfu

Big band is fine and to a certain extent the TLand dance party in TLand since it is very well themed. However, I don't like where they put Tron, the props they use, or this rave atmosphere. There's a time and a place, and it's called college. :lol:

And thank god it didn't go into DHS. Where would it fit there? And Epcot... maybe if they did it right.

That Monsters Inc pic just makes me want to :hurl::hurl::hurl:

There's a time and a place....

It makes complete sense for them to take away a family friendly ride with the place all boarded up at night... I sure wouldn't have done that.

W/E. While you have fun at "ElecTRONica", I'll enjoy the greatness of Disneyland.

And that us the big key and problem lingering at WDW -- lack of attractions. DCA has more than AK and DHS combined. But hey, you can burn 2.5 hrs at TSM line, another 90 minutes waiting for Lights, Stuntcars, and something else, and AK offers a good 2 hours of walking. That's a half day that you couldn't even use at DCA anyways. Oh, did I mention they are adding 5 new attractions in the next 20 months. DCA and AK are getting NONE!

Really? Give me that list. I'd love to see it.

sponono88

Big band is fine and to a certain extent the TLand dance party in TLand since it is very well themed. However, I don't like where they put Tron, the props they use, or this rave atmosphere. There's a time and a place, and it's called college. :lol:

..says the person that hasn't even experienced it :lol: elecTRONica isn't well-themed? The dance portion of the event is only part of it. The projection/sound and light shows, Flynn's Arcade, 3D preview, amazing preshow, etc -- highly immersive, highly-themed, and goes above and beyond what any other Disney park has done when it comes to free nighttime parties/events.

It makes complete sense for them to take away a family friendly ride with the place all boarded up at night... I sure wouldn't have done that.

:confused: Um, they didn't take away the ride. In fact, it seems to have boosted its popularity -- the ride had 45 min wait Friday night!

raven

Has no one figured out yet that the difference between WDW and DLR is the guests it attracts? WDW's main guest flow if from families on vacation. DLR's main guest flow are locals. Certainly DLR is going to make more changes and offereings to keep locals coming back month after month. WDW's focus is a little different. Don't blame TDO (once again) because of these factors. Something like that in a WDW park might now be as successful as one in a DLR park. Just my $.02

GLaDOS

Has no one figured out yet that the difference between WDW and DLR is the guests it attracts? WDW's main guest flow if from families on vacation. DLR's main guest flow are locals. Certainly DLR is going to make more changes and offereings to keep locals coming back month after month. WDW's focus is a little different. Don't blame TDO (once again) because of these factors. Something like that in a WDW park might now be as successful as one in a DLR park. Just my $.02

While I completely get where you're coming from, would it kill WDW to at least try this one time?:shrug:

askmike1

DCA has more than AK and DHS combined.
Okay, time for some fact-checking here. I have looked to see how many attractions each park has. Now just so you know how I counted, first of all I did not include any of the smaller shows (like High School Musical), but did include the larger shows/gatherings (World of Color, Beauty and the Beast, etc) as attractions. I am also not counting seasonal entertainment (like ElecTRONica, Osborne Spectacle of Lights, etc). I am also going by Disney's official site. For the 'major' attractions, these are the ones that I think most people would consider the "core" of the park (I tried to group many small things as possible).

Disney's California Adventure
Number of Attractions: 27
Major Attractions: 18 (Screamin', Aladdin, Animation, Bugs Land, Zephyr, Grizzly, Carousel, Fun Wheel, Monsters Inc, Madness, Muppets, Playhouse, Soarin', Mania, Turtle and Tower, Parade, World of Color)

Disney's Holllywood Studios
Number of Attractions: 20
Major Attractions: 16 (Idol, Backlot, Beauty, Block, Fantasmic, Movie, Indy, LMA, Animation, Mupppets, Playhouse, Rock, Star, Mania, Mermaid, Tower)

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Number of Attractions: 16
Major Attractions: 12 (Rafiki, Dinosaur, Everest, Nemo, Dinorama, Bug, Kali, Safari, Maharajah, Jammin, Pagani, Festival)

So the math just doesn't quite add up.

But hey, you can burn 2.5 hrs at TSM line
During the peak season, yes... but most of the year it is at a solid 90min wait (though that wait time definitely doesn't take away from the wait times at other rides including as Rollercoaster, Tower and even Movie Ride).

AK offers a good 2 hours of walking
:ROFLOL: 2 hours of walking? How slow do you walk? Yes, there is more walking than in the other parks (probably because it is bigger than all the other 3 parks combined)... but 2 hours? What is that relative to? Because I think you would need to be in the park for a good 8-10 hours to even get anywhere near that mark (or spend a lot of your time wandering aimlessly).

DCA and AK are getting NONE!
I guess we are not counting the new Star Tours, the new DHS parade coming in January or the new replacement to High School Musical show. And let's completely ignore the fact that Disney is completely revamping Fantasyland which is taking most of the spotlight (in addition to the multiple new restaurants/stores in Epcot, new night Castle show or any of the other new additions spread throughout property). It is easy to say DCA is getting more right now... but HELLO.... it just got/is getting a $1 billion+ injection because of the sub-par state it was built in. So I think your statements are a bit unfair.
:lookaroun

stitch2008

While I completely get where you're coming from, would it kill WDW to at least try this one time?:shrug:

Would it kill you to wait and see how it performs at DCA first? And then think about bringing it to the world?

I guess we are not counting the new Star Tours, the new DHS parade coming in January or the new replacement to High School Musical show. And let's completely ignore the fact that Disney is completely revamping Fantasyland which is taking most of the spotlight (in addition to the multiple new restaurants/stores in Epcot, new night Castle show or any of the other new additions spread throughout property). It is easy to say DCA is getting more right now... but HELLO.... it just got/is getting a $1 billion+ injection because of the sub-par state it was built in. So I think your statements are a bit unfair.
:lookaroun

This. Right on the money. And I'll add the new que work at Haunted Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom