Why no ElecTRONica for DHS or PI?

_Scar

..says the person that hasn't even experienced it :lol: elecTRONica isn't well-themed? The dance portion of the event is only part of it. The projection/sound and light shows, Flynn's Arcade, 3D preview, amazing preshow, etc -- highly immersive, highly-themed, and goes above and beyond what any other Disney park has done when it comes to free nighttime parties/events.

:confused: Um, they didn't take away the ride. In fact, it seems to have boosted its popularity -- the ride had 45 min wait Friday night!

From the pictures, it doesn't look well themed whatsoever. I don't have togo there physically to see that it isn't themed too well. :lol:

Walt knew how to throw a nighttime event :) Once again, I'll be in DL while this takes over DCA.

And it sure looks like no one can get thru that crowd from the picture you posted. Maybe I'm wrong, so just scratch that out.

JimboJones123

Okay, time for some fact-checking here. I have looked to see how many attractions each park has. Now just so you know how I counted, first of all I did not include any of the smaller shows (like High School Musical), but did include the larger shows/gatherings (World of Color, Beauty and the Beast, etc) as attractions. I am also not counting seasonal entertainment (like ElecTRONica, Osborne Spectacle of Lights, etc). I am also going by Disney's official site. For the 'major' attractions, these are the ones that I think most people would consider the "core" of the park (I tried to group many small things as possible).

Disney's California Adventure
Number of Attractions: 27
Major Attractions: 18 (Screamin', Aladdin, Animation, Bugs Land, Zephyr, Grizzly, Carousel, Fun Wheel, Monsters Inc, Madness, Muppets, Playhouse, Soarin', Mania, Turtle and Tower, Parade, World of Color)

Disney's Holllywood Studios
Number of Attractions: 20
Major Attractions: 16 (Idol, Backlot, Beauty, Block, Fantasmic, Movie, Indy, LMA, Animation, Mupppets, Playhouse, Rock, Star, Mania, Mermaid, Tower)

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Number of Attractions: 16
Major Attractions: 12 (Rafiki, Dinosaur, Everest, Nemo, Dinorama, Bug, Kali, Safari, Maharajah, Jammin, Pagani, Festival)

So the math just doesn't quite add up.

During the peak season, yes... but most of the year it is at a solid 90min wait (though that wait time definitely doesn't take away from the wait times at other rides including as Rollercoaster, Tower and even Movie Ride).

:ROFLOL: 2 hours of walking? How slow do you walk? Yes, there is more walking than in the other parks (probably because it is bigger than all the other 3 parks combined)... but 2 hours? What is that relative to? Because I think you would need to be in the park for a good 8-10 hours to even get anywhere near that mark (or spend a lot of your time wandering aimlessly).

I guess we are not counting the new Star Tours, the new DHS parade coming in January or the new replacement to High School Musical show. And let's completely ignore the fact that Disney is completely revamping Fantasyland which is taking most of the spotlight (in addition to the multiple new restaurants/stores in Epcot, new night Castle show or any of the other new additions spread throughout property). It is easy to say DCA is getting more right now... but HELLO.... it just got/is getting a $1 billion+ injection because of the sub-par state it was built in. So I think your statements are a bit unfair.
:lookaroun

I stand corrected. DCA has more RIDES than the other two combined. Whew. I feel much better now. Thanks for boosing me up.

JimboJones123

Walk from gate to KS or EE=15 min.

Trip to and from Planet watch = 15 min.

Walk from any other attraction to and from FotL= 30 min

1 hr already.

2 walkng attractions = hope that would take 1 hr of walking between animal watching - otherwise, why bother.

askmike1

I stand corrected. DCA has more RIDES than the other two combined. Whew. I feel much better now. Thanks for boosing me up.

Well... assuming your definition of a "ride" is an attraction with a vehicle on some type of track (or feels like a track... which would include rides like Star Tours and Soarin').....

DCA: Screamin', Zephyr, Grizzly, Wheel, Monsters, Madness, Swings, Soarin', Mania, Tower, Jellyfish, Flick, Francis, Heimlich
Total: 14 (11 if you remove the 3 kiddie rides in italics)

DAK+DHS: Backlot, Movie, Rock, Star, Mania, Tower, Dinosaur, Everest, Kali, Safari, Primeval, Spin and Train
Total: 13 (11 if you remove kiddie Triceratop and more-like-transportation Train to Rafiki)

So yes, depending on how you look at it, DCA has either 1 more ride or the same number of rides as the other two combined...... but that is still just painting part of the picture. The Studios is very show-based (as would make sense given the theming). Most of the attractions at that park, therefore are more entertainment offerings. And Animal Kingdom is obviously more animal based. Therefore, that park has a lot of animal-centric attractions (walk-throughs, exhibits, paths, etc) in it. That park also spends a lot of money behind-the-scenes in animal conservation, research and awareness.

askmike1

Oh, Bugs Land = 5 attractions and Disney Animation = 3 attractions.
Not quite. I'm sorry, but I'm not listing the small animation attractions as separate as they all are for the common goal. Otherwise I would have to count the smaller attractions found within Magic of Animation as attractions as well and why not include the post-show for Sounds Dangerous.

In addition, I also consolidated all of Dinoland (including the two bigger attractions) into one and I consolidated all of Rafiki's Planet watch into 1. All evens out in the end. So unless you want me ungrouping WDW's attractions, I suggest we leave it at the groups.

You also forgot Blue Sky Cellar, Sourdough, and Tortilla for 3 more.
27 + 9 = 36 = 16 + 20
Nice math... unfortunately, you did not appear to actually read what I wrote. If you did, you would know that I did two counts... 1 count of all the attractions and one of the major attractions (which I wrote out, and no, none of the ones you listed are major attractions). Original numbers hold. Thanks.

Walk from gate to KS or EE=15 min.

Trip to and from Planet watch = 15 min.

Walk from any other attraction to and from FotL= 30 min

1 hr already.

2 walkng attractions = hope that would take 1 hr of walking between animal watching - otherwise, why bother.
1: There are attractions to do before getting to KS or EE, so your choice to walk from the park entrance to the opposite side of the park is your choice.

2: Trip to Rafiki is about a 7 minute train ride and maybe 5 minutes of walking tops

3: Um... FotLK is less than 5 minutes away from Africa, so I don't know what your talking about

4: No way it is a 15 minute walk to Safaris from main gate...

5: If you are on a walking attraction, that is part of the attraction. You aren't walking from point A to point B... the attraction is everything in between, so this will be stop and go the entire time.

Just seems your view of the park is slightly exaggerated. But I will be happy to go to the park this weekend and time the walking distance if you would like. :)

Sorry for this thread de-rail

TP2000

First of all, I'm not sure how you can call IT and concept development support departments. And more importantly, it is wrong because you say TDO... and yet you are referring to 1% of the building (the higher-up executives). Saying 'TDO can never do anything right' and 'TDO is shorthand for management' is just wrong. Call it 'WDW management'. 'TDO' is, like you say, referring to a large and diverse group of people... not a building filled with WDW management.

IT being Information Technology, in any business (Disneyland, General Motors, Boeing, Procter&Gamble, Goodyear, etc.) is not a support department? :confused:

What would you call it then? IT is certainly not a core product for any of those folks, as IT just supports the groups that create the core products for consumers to buy (theme parks, cars, airplanes, toothpaste, tires, etc.)

It appears we've hit a nerve here in using the acronym TDO to refer to management decisions that impact the theme park operation. I hope you don't think we are blaming every cubicle dwelling purchasing agent and every payroll clerk and every secretary working in the TDO building for stuff like cancelling Lights of Winter or changes in refillable mug policies. It's just an easy acronym to use. :wave:

TP2000

Well... assuming your definition of a "ride" is an attraction with a vehicle on some type of track (or feels like a track... which would include rides like Star Tours and Soarin').....

DCA: Screamin', Zephyr, Grizzly, Wheel, Monsters, Madness, Swings, Soarin', Mania, Tower, Jellyfish, Flick, Francis, Heimlich
Total: 14 (11 if you remove the 3 kiddie rides in italics)

DAK+DHS: Backlot, Movie, Rock, Star, Mania, Tower, Dinosaur, Everest, Kali, Safari, Primeval, Spin and Train
Total: 13 (11 if you remove kiddie Triceratop and more-like-transportation Train to Rafiki)

So yes, depending on how you look at it, DCA has either 1 more ride or the same number of rides as the other two combined...... but that is still just painting part of the picture...

Ooh, I love this topic! :D

You forgot to add King Triton's Carousel in the DCA ride tally, which takes it to 15 rides with moving vehicles.

Then there's Little Mermaid opening at DCA in about 8 months. And in 20 months from now there are four additional rides opening at DCA; Red Car Trolley, Luigi's Flying Tires, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and Radiator Springs Racers.

That will take DCA circa June, 2012 to an even 20 rides with moving vehicles. Plus two 3-D theater shows, the excellent Disney Animation pavilion, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, a big musical show in the Hyperion Theater, a kiddy stage show in Playhouse Disney, a handful of interactive edutainment exhibits/tours, a daily parade, and World of Color. And that will put DCA far ahead of DAK and DHS combined in attraction/ride/entertainment count. :eek:

Not bad for a theme park I used to make fun of mercilessly from about 1999 to 2007 or so. :lol:

TP2000

Okay, time for some fact-checking here. I have looked to see how many attractions each park has. Now just so you know how I counted, first of all I did not include any of the smaller shows (like High School Musical), but did include the larger shows/gatherings (World of Color, Beauty and the Beast, etc) as attractions. I am also not counting seasonal entertainment (like ElecTRONica, Osborne Spectacle of Lights, etc). I am also going by Disney's official site. For the 'major' attractions, these are the ones that I think most people would consider the "core" of the park (I tried to group many small things as possible).

Disney's California Adventure
Number of Attractions: 27
Major Attractions: 18 (Screamin', Aladdin, Animation, Bugs Land, Zephyr, Grizzly, Carousel, Fun Wheel, Monsters Inc, Madness, Muppets, Playhouse, Soarin', Mania, Turtle and Tower, Parade, World of Color)

Disney's Holllywood Studios
Number of Attractions: 20
Major Attractions: 16 (Idol, Backlot, Beauty, Block, Fantasmic, Movie, Indy, LMA, Animation, Mupppets, Playhouse, Rock, Star, Mania, Mermaid, Tower)

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Number of Attractions: 16
Major Attractions: 12 (Rafiki, Dinosaur, Everest, Nemo, Dinorama, Bug, Kali, Safari, Maharajah, Jammin, Pagani, Festival)

So the math just doesn't quite add up.

Just one point of contention for DCA. You forgot to add It's Tough To Be A Bug to the list of "major attractions", which is very popular at both DAK and DCA. I would also list Redwood Creek Challenge Trail as a major attraction, if the 90 second Golden Zephyr or King Triton's Carousel gets that status as well. God knows when my 8 year old nephews are in town, they spend at least an hour in that huge interactive area. :rolleyes:

And speaking of Golden Zephyr and Carousel, not sure why Silly Symphony Swings didn't make the cut if those tamer spinning rides did? Adding Challenge Trail, Swings and It's Tough To Be A Bug to the list, would bring DCA to 21 "major attractions". And yet we've still lumped Flik's Fun Fair with it's four ride vehicle attractions and water play area in as one single attraction. I guess that's okay if you lump Dinorama all together as one attraction though.

Still, it really shows you just how much has been added to DCA in the past five years. And that's not even counting the five additional major attractions currently being built and opening in the next year and a half at DCA. Big doin's there in Anaheim! :D

TP2000

Has Disney ever opened the same attraction at multiple parks simultaneously?

I think Toy Story Midway Mania was about the only thing that got close to that, opening at DHS and DCA within a few weeks of each other. Otherwise, there's usually at least a year or two between something opening both at Disneyland and WDW, or Paris or Tokyo.

Can anyone think of another attraction besides Midway Mania that opened simultaneously at two or more Disney parks? I can't.

I think Toy Story Midway Mania was about the only thing that got close to that, opening at DHS and DCA within a few weeks of each other. Otherwise, there's usually at least a year or two between something opening both at Disneyland and WDW, or Paris or Tokyo.

Can anyone think of another attraction besides Midway Mania that opened simultaneously at two or more Disney parks? I can't.

Which is why I don't get the big deal. This seems like the type of attraction that could be hit or miss. Better to miss at one park instead of two. Midway Mania was a sure thing.

askmike1

Not bad for a theme park I used to make fun of mercilessly from about 1999 to 2007 or so. :lol:
I agree... DCA is being given some much needed attention. Of course, how many attractions are being added to Disneyland park? Just like that, the attention is focused elsewhere in WDW. Physically, it is being devoted to the Fantasyland expansion and several other construction projects around the 'world' (including the new resort) along with many renovations. It is also being heavily devoted to technology. DHS and DAK are not the focus right now. They will be again... just not yet.

Has Disney ever opened the same attraction at multiple parks simultaneously?
Yes... I cannot think of which at this moment, but I am 100% positive that I have heard that stated in some press release.

And yes, I should have included ITtbaB in the 'major attractions' for DCA.

JimboJones123

Just one point of contention for DCA. You forgot to add It's Tough To Be A Bug to the list of "major attractions", which is very popular at both DAK and DCA. I would also list Redwood Creek Challenge Trail as a major attraction, if the 90 second Golden Zephyr or King Triton's Carousel gets that status as well. God knows when my 8 year old nephews are in town, they spend at least an hour in that huge interactive area. :rolleyes:

And speaking of Golden Zephyr and Carousel, not sure why Silly Symphony Swings didn't make the cut if those tamer spinning rides did? Adding Challenge Trail, Swings and It's Tough To Be A Bug to the list, would bring DCA to 21 "major attractions". And yet we've still lumped Flik's Fun Fair with it's four ride vehicle attractions and water play area in as one single attraction. I guess that's okay if you lump Dinorama all together as one attraction though.

Still, it really shows you just how much has been added to DCA in the past five years. And that's not even counting the five additional major attractions currently being built and opening in the next year and a half at DCA. Big doin's there in Anaheim! :D

It will be close to challenging DisneySea after a 25% expansion in Carsland.

JimboJones123

I just hope in the next ten years we see more densely populated parks.

We just spent 4 days at a very slow Disneyland that had quite a bit closed, and still had over a dozen attractions that we missed.

It would just be cool if WDW could throw a string of 5-6 attractions together somewhere besides Fantasyland.

lazyboy97o

Tron reaching out to the more geographically diverse WDW audience? You mean nerds? :animwink:
This would be a valid point if Disney was not aiming significantly bigger than the fans of TRON. Disney wants TRON: Legacy to be the start of a franchise trilogy and work has already begun on TRON 3. So yes, the Walt Disney World guests are exactly the people Disney wants going to theaters this December.

First of all, I'm not sure how you can call IT and concept development support departments. And more importantly, it is wrong because you say TDO... and yet you are referring to 1% of the building (the higher-up executives). Saying 'TDO can never do anything right' and 'TDO is shorthand for management' is just wrong. Call it 'WDW management'. 'TDO' is, like you say, referring to a large and diverse group of people... not a building filled with WDW management.
This would all be great if the term only applied to the building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom