Why no ElecTRONica for DHS or PI?

sponono88

I'm in the dark... what is ElecTRONica? :veryconfu
I can assume it's TRON themed, is it a nightclub dance type of thing?

From the DCA website..

Plug in to ElecTRONica and assimilate into the virtual world of TRON: Legacy, the new Walt Disney Pictures' film opening nationwide on December 17, 2010. Each night, this high-energy street festival ignites Hollywood Pictures Backlot with fun for the whole family.

Enter ElecTRONica and emerge digitized. Journey under the Recognizer and get swept into The Grid, where a live D.J. spins techno and dance music.

Check out TRON: Legacy 3D Sneak Peek.

Watch Sirens groove to the beats of Daft Punk and others, while digitally projected Lightcycles zoom around you.

Face off with enemies and allies at Flynn's Arcade.

Try incandescent concoctions at the End of the Line bar.

Be amazed by an eclectic array of street performers, including laser and martial artists.

Basically it's a huge TRON-themed nighttime party, complete with laser/light shows, 80s Arcade, 3D preview of the film, dancing, drinks, etc! All wrapped up in a really amazing and highly themed environment.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
From the DCA website..

Basically it's a huge TRON-themed nighttime party, complete with laser/light shows, 80s Arcade, 3D preview of the film, dancing, drinks, etc! All wrapped up in a really amazing and highly themed environment.

Sins sins...must not look...must close down...call the Southern Baptist Association. *runs out screaming*

It would never work at WDW.

TP2000

Sorry, but this does not get my approval...

Maybe it's because I'm not a big party person, but I just don't like any of these events in parks :/

It sounds like you would absolutely hate elecTRONica then, and would have disliked Glow Fest, and might even not like the average Saturday night at Disneyland when there is rock n' roll dancing at Tomorrowland Terrace and Big Band swing dancing at Plaza Gardens. :animwink:

The videos from last night's premiere of elecTRONica are flooding in on YouTube now, as this clearly caught people's fancy and they wanted to share.

For those interested in seeing what all the fuss is about, here's a great 3 minute long video that offers clips and highlights of the first night of elecTRONica.
WARNING:
Images of people dancing and having fun after dark in a Disney theme park! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_Tyc9mTa4

I also find the LaserMan shows that happen several times per night at elecTRONica to be amazing to watch! This is one thing I won't want to miss, as I can't figure out how some of those stunts are done, especially around the 1:00 minute mark... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9uFtd09Yt4

This elecTRONica concept could have slotted nicely into Epcot or DHS as a fall/winter entertainment offering. And yet, it didn't get a greenlight from TDO, if they even considered it to begin with. With all that talk of "One Disney" and the Disney Parks homogenization, you would think major entertainment pieces dripping with movie synergy like this would be amongst the first thing to be cloned on birth at both American properties. :veryconfu

Mammymouse

Maybe you guys are right about putting it in DTD or PI instead of EPCOT. But I'm just so desperate for some new energy in Futureworld.

TP2000

And as much as I love TRON, if they were to clone it, it would be sooooo tacky to have it in EPCOT. Does not fit there at all.

Hmm... I think this guy and his act would fit in Future World perfectly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrE0_bWBJc0&feature=related

I see your point in that it would be a different vibe than what Future World has had going in recent years. But the 80's look and architecture of Future World seems to play perfectly into the Tron theme. It would be a fun way to liven up a rather dead and dreary section of a huge theme park after dark.

It certainly works for DCA's Hollywood Pictures Backlot section, which was previously a quiet and desolate area of the park after sundown.

TP2000

I really don't agree. That's more Tomorrowland future than Future World future. EPCOT is supposed to be about the real world, technology, culture, that kind of thing. Not dancing laser men (as mind blowing as that was!). EPCOT is just not the place for a street party or a club imo...

So, I was going to agree to disagree on this one, until I saw this elecTRONica pre-show video posted in the Disneyland forum here. They kick off elecTRONica each night in the Sun Plaza with this very kitschy, very 80's, Solid Gold-esque (I'm dating myself now) dance routine that had everyone rolling with laughter. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAmRJQ2Wpy8&feature=player_embedded#!

So, yeah, maybe Future World isn't right for this type of purposely 1980's cheese. It might strike a bit too close to home for a theme park that was born the same year TRON was in the local multiplex. :eek:

SeanC

ElecTRONica is basically the queue for 2nd show of World of Color. DCA has the need for something to keep everyone busy and in one place. That notwithstanding, would love to see something like this come to the World.

JMagicFink

Jason Latimer?

Is the laser man Jason Latimer or did Disney completely rip off his totally original routine that he as been doing for years and has won multiple awards with?

Here is Jason's video from the Magic Castle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-XoN1Ts6Wg

The beginning of laser man's routine is exactly the same as some of the material used in his award winning routine. Anybody know if that's him at Disneyland?

-Jim
Illusion Manager for Aaron Radatz, Magical Entertainer

sponono88

ElecTRONica is basically the queue for 2nd show of World of Color. DCA has the need for something to keep everyone busy and in one place. That notwithstanding, would love to see something like this come to the World.

Queue for World of Color? Not at all.. The line for WoC FP is in a totally different area of the park. ElecTRONica exists is its own separate environment, completely unrelated to everything that's going with WoC (at the opposite end of the park).

sponono88

Is the laser man Jason Latimer or did Disney completely rip off his totally original routine that he as been doing for years and has won multiple awards with?

Here is Jason's video from the Magic Castle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-XoN1Ts6Wg

The beginning of laser man's routine is exactly the same as some of the material used in his award winning routine. Anybody know if that's him at Disneyland?

-Jim
Illusion Manager for Aaron Radatz, Magical Entertainer

I don't think that's the same guy. Disney hired LaserMan for elecTRONica, according to youtube he is based in Australia..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNXXtaS0IU

Future Guy

I heard somewhere that ElecTRONica was offered to WDW but TDO vetoed it because (surprise!) they didn't want to spend the money. I don't know if that's true or not, but it certainly seems plausible.

TP2000

Queue for World of Color? Not at all.. The line for WoC FP is in a totally different area of the park. ElecTRONica exists is its own separate environment, completely unrelated to everything that's going with WoC (at the opposite end of the park).

I agree. I think that "waiting area for World of Color" concept got out there last winter when Al Lutz broke the news on DCA management cooking up a dance party on the other side of DCA to help balance out the crowds.

While that may have been one of the original goals, the runaway success of Glow Fest on its own merits, and now the breakout success of elecTRONica, allows these separate nighttime events to stand on their own two feet.

That folks are wanting a clone of elecTRONica for a WDW theme park pretty much proves this is a concept that stands on its own, totally separate from World of Color.

However, that doesn't mean it's not a great place to have a cocktail and a spin on the dance floor before the 10:15PM or 11:15PM World of Color performance, or a place to hang out after you've seen the 9:00PM World of Color.

askmike1

Can I just say I love at just how many people misuse (or just don't understand) the phrase "Team Disney Orlando".... do you guys think this is a building that houses Team Meg and that's it? :veryconfu

Lee

Adventurer
Can I just say I love at just how many people misuse (or just don't understand) the phrase "Team Disney Orlando".... do you guys think this is a building that houses Team Meg and that's it? :veryconfu
Nah...it's just a catch-all term for the Florida knuckleheads...uh..I mean "management team", same way TDA is used as shorthand for the Anaheim management.

On topic....I would really love to see a version of elecTRONica (or Glowfest) at WDW.
Not at Epcot, it doesn't need its theme any more mixed up than it already is.
Put it at the Studios....oh, wait...since the Studios likes to close at 7pm unless someone forces them to do a Fantasmic, it probably wouldn't work there.
PI is the right spot. What? Oh, yeah...they don't want anyone having any sort of grown-up fun over there anymore. I guess that's out.
Hows about at DAK? Nah. Closes at 5. Might scare the poor animals.
I guess we'll have to stick it in MK, without the alcohol, and with some characters thrown in. Nothing says a good time like Stitch! We could do the electric slide!
:rolleyes:

SeaCastle

Studios (and that corner of Tomorrowland with the Stitch show) seem to be really the only places that hanging up all of those trusses and lights would be acceptable. I'm not justifying our lack of nightlife, but setting up all of that equipment on Main Street and leaving it up all the time would look terrible. If they could do something like that on say, New York Street at DHS, that could work.

It's also worth mentioning that most of DCA is under construction walls now. I bet people would mind a heckuva lot more if they pulled something like that off at Disneyland itself, or at any other park, at that. Essentially, if a park is chock-full of walls and construction, trusses and temporary structural supports for lights and speakers doesn't look nearly as bad as hanging up all of those supports on a re-creation of a 20th century American town.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Studios (and that corner of Tomorrowland with the Stitch show) seem to be really the only places that hanging up all of those trusses and lights would be acceptable. I'm not justifying our lack of nightlife, but setting up all of that equipment on Main Street and leaving it up all the time would look terrible. If they could do something like that on say, New York Street at DHS, that could work.

It's also worth mentioning that most of DCA is under construction walls now. I bet people would mind a heckuva lot more if they pulled something like that off at Disneyland itself, or at any other park, at that. Essentially, if a park is chock-full of walls and construction, trusses and temporary structural supports for lights and speakers doesn't look nearly as bad as hanging up all of those supports on a re-creation of a 20th century American town.

How about the parking lot adjacent to RnR Coaster? Instead of ElecTRONica, it could be reworked to RockTRONica and the physical setup wouldn't bother any of the theme of Sunset Blvd.

NMBC1993

That looks like it would be a great way to promote the film and get SOME nightlife back at WDW. I think the best idea would be to put it in the Motions building and charge a small fee to get in. Anything is better then nothing even if it's just temporary.

Figment1986

What I don't get... We could redo pizza planet into a Flyns arcade / minor tron resturant.... We could get rid of Narnia and add a Flyns thing like they did at Comicon...

Lots WDW could have done, yet we got nothing but a monorail wrap.

askmike1

What I don't get... We could redo pizza planet into a Flyns arcade / minor tron resturant.... We could get rid of Narnia and add a Flyns thing like they did at Comicon...

Lots WDW could have done, yet we got nothing but a monorail wrap.

Ummm... maybe we should make sure this movie is successful before we start redoing everything based on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom