Why keep Indy Speedway?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Here's the thing. If TDO had a plan for a huge E-Ticket that fit into either TL or FL, and the budget for it...then we could worry about whether the speedway is "in the way".

Currently though, I don't think there's anything out there which is expected to overtake the speedway.

Having said that, I've mentioned before that the speedway could really use an upgrade, it's been nearly the same since MK opened.

I always thought that it was busy for the same reason peter pans flight is busy, poor throughput of guests. The rider per hour is pretty bad for the Indy cars. Even when I was younger I always thought if they could make electric cars or similar to bumper cars where the electricity is fed to the cars, it would make more sense and be better. I rode it once in my life and didn't enjoy the fumes or the wait. make the cars electric and futuristic, add some sort of theme, especially over the big first turn, and i think it would fit OK.

On a side note, I was always jealous of this area over in DL. The cars on the first level, with the people mover, the monorail and the sky way over it in a jumbled mass of movement always looks so cool even if half of them are closed or gone right now.

blueboxdoctor

Original Poster
Why are you saying it is the most un-environmentally friendly attraction at Disney? There is no building there to have to air-condition or light up for guests. And the newer attractions like the Laugh Floor use lots more electricity to power their building and all the computer stuff/screen (which I just can't get into) that IS the attraction. I guess I'm old fashioned but the real things I can see and touch, not just imagine, are my favoriites.

I just said that because when you're on the monorail they have a little sound clip of how they're environmentally friendly, and then you go to the indy cars and you're choking on fumes. However, I did forget about electricity which I shouldn't have since I bring that up everytime someone talks about electric cars. Sorry about that mistake.

MaryJaneP

I just said that because when you're on the monorail they have a little sound clip of how they're environmentally friendly, and then you go to the indy cars and you're choking on fumes. However, I did forget about electricity which I shouldn't have since I bring that up everytime someone talks about electric cars. Sorry about that mistake.

Okay, make a two-fer here. Have the Indy cars run on used fry oil. The aroma could increase sales at Cosmic Rays and it would be a source for fuel for which Disney has already paid.

Walt Disney1955

It's fine. I mean everyone and their mother has waited for a dog's age in line for that ride. It's popular. Yeah, there isn't much to it but it doesn't bother me at all. They could utilize some space better by doing something different with the old skyway landing in Tomorrowland (yeah I know there are washrooms there, but still)

By the way, Monsters Inc. is a fine attraction. I love it as an adult even.

CaptainWinter

Ok, so I'm bracing myself for all the responses here, but really, why keep the Indy Speedway(raceway?)? It takes up a lot of land that could be used for other things. It is by far one of the most un-environmentally friendly attractions in the whole of Disney World. Plus, it really isn't that much fun compared to their other attractions. I know how a lot of people are major defenders of the old things in WDW, but all this old stuff is catching up to Disney. That's why they were forced to do Fantasyland and put more stuff in hollywood studios. The same will probably have to happen for EPCOT soon, and Animal Kingdom pretty much ran out of money when being made (refer to beastly kingdom). Disney needs to keep adding stuff, even if they need to sacrifice some older stuff (don't even get me started on what they need to do to Tomorrow Land). So what does everyone else think about this?

I would be happy to see it replaced with something better, which IMO wouldn't take much. Last time I was on it with my little daughter -- who enjoyed it well enough -- we got in a noisy, hot, aromatic traffic jam -- on the way out. That is, we were basically trapped, not moving, *on* the attraction. That ain't right friends.

Having said that, I would guess replacing this is very low on TDO's list of priorities. Driving a car is a universal kid's fantasy, tomorrow-ish or not. My kid wasn't complaining.

TP2000

Driving a car is a universal kid's fantasy, tomorrow-ish or not. My kid wasn't complaining.

It certainly is. And it's also why there's an Autopia (Speedway) attraction in every single Disneyland-style theme park on the planet. They have versions of this ride in Anaheim, Orlando, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong. It's a very popular attraction that would be sorely missed by many if it went away. :(

Heck, there was a time in the 1950's and 60's that Disneyland had no fewer than four different versions of Autopia running at the same time. There was the original 1955 Autopia in Tomorrowland, that was a signature attraction covered widely by the media as one of Disneyland's wonders. Who can forget the TV clip of Art Linkletter shaking a long line of A-List celebrities hands as they drove past in their Autopia cars on Disneyland's opening day?

Frank Sinatra on Autopia, Disneyland Opening Day, July 17th 1955
Frank%20Sinatra%20and%20Jr..jpg

The attraction was so wildly popular that it had to be doubled in size by 1959 with a separate track and station added in Fantasyland.

Autopia Freeways - 1959
autopia1959.jpg

The ride was still a bit too big and wild for younger riders in the 6 to 9 year old range, so in 1957 Walt added a smaller version in Fantasyland with a single track and junior sized cars called.... wait for it... Junior Autopia!

Fantasyland's Junior Autopia 1957
tms-475l.jpg

And finally by 1960, Walt also built an even smaller version of the ride with the tiny cars on a bus-bar dark ride system that controlled the speed and direction of the car. There was still a steering wheel, two in fact, but they were just for decoration as the Kindergartners got a miniature version of Autopia just for themselves. Walt called it Midget Autopia.

Fantasyland's Midget Autopia 1960's
flmidautopia.jpg

Four different Autopias, in three different sizes, all operating near each other for years in the same theme park! Walt Disney World got off pretty easy by only getting a single version of the ride in 1971. :lol:

As for the environmental impact of the attraction, I would have to agree that Autopia/Tomorrowland Speedway must be one of the lesser impacts to the environment in the Disney attraction roster.

A ride like Pirates or Small World (or dozens of other examples) must use a great deal more energy and resources to keep running, what with all that water being filtered and treated and pumped, dozens of animatronics running and huge theatrical lighting rigs blazing, a massive show building to cool and operate and monitor, etc., etc.

Not to mention that the simple act of blasting through the stratosphere in a jet guzzling Kerosene and then staying in an air conditioned hotel and asking Disney to cater to your every whim with fireworks, food, parades, transportation, stage shows, etc., etc. has to be a pretty darn big footprint when you could just stay home and camp in your local state park for a tiny fraction of the impact. But if after jetting to Orlando for a week of decadent and resource-heavy vacation you want to worry about how much gas each go-kart uses at the Speedway, then I guess you've already considered all the other environmental impacts your entertainment plans have created. :animwink:

wizards8507

I've mentioned before that the speedway could really use an upgrade, it's been nearly the same since MK opened.

Wouldn't that make it a "classic"? You people are unbelievable (not specifically you, ChrisFL). If a ride has been the same since the park opened, it's in "desperate need of an update," but if WDW dare replace one of your precious "classics" with a new, much-more-awesome version, then everyone is throwing a tantrum over that, as well.

:shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wouldn't that make it a "classic"? You people are unbelievable (not specifically you, ChrisFL). If a ride has been the same since the park opened, it's in "desperate need of an update," but if WDW dare replace one of your precious "classics" with a new, much-more-awesome version, then everyone is throwing a tantrum over that, as well.

Ahhh...the Catch22 of being a Disney fan.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I understand what you're saying (and not directed at me), but I don't think anyone here would complain if they made the cars electric with more realistic sounds of racing cars instead of the lawn mower engines putting out fumes like we've had. The spirit of the ride would remain intact, but the changes would be more futuristic (electric is the future) and they could also add lighting effects and more scenery around the (frankly, dull) track.

lbrad

I've always enjoyed the Indy Speedway (at night of course) ... many of times I've been fortunate enough to watch Wishes from my car ... as my euphoric daughter drove us around the course...very s l o w l y so we could see ALL the fireworks :sohappy:

ParkMan73

I understand what you're saying (and not directed at me), but I don't think anyone here would complain if they made the cars electric with more realistic sounds of racing cars instead of the lawn mower engines putting out fumes like we've had. The spirit of the ride would remain intact, but the changes would be more futuristic (electric is the future) and they could also add lighting effects and more scenery around the (frankly, dull) track.

I think they could take it one further. Give them some kind of fancy drive system - electric or maglev perhaps - and call them future cars. I bet kids would love that even more.

ob1thx1138

I think the reason people sometimes suggest this attractions closing is actually two fold. First it is not a unique attraction. Every theme park has their own version of this ride and many of those are better themed and more interesting than the one at the MK. So saying that you could lump in the Tea Cups and Dumbo to name a couple other attractions that are just spruced up carnival rides. That is where the second point comes in and that is its size. People don't look at the Tea Cups and say, "Man I wish they would quit wasting all that space." because the Tea Cups simply don't take up that much room. However the speedway gets the double wammy of taking up loads of real estate and not offering a unique experience.

And as for the environmental aspect, Those small engines are much worse than your average car. I think I read somewhere that you produce more green house gases in one hour with a riding lawn mower than you would driving your car 100 miles. Not sure if that is true, but I can believe it.

Something being original to the park doesn't neccesarily make it a "classic". Just like a classic doesn't have to be original to the park.

MDenham

But if after jetting to Orlando for a week of decadent and resource-heavy vacation you want to worry about how much gas each go-kart uses at the Speedway, then I guess you've already considered all the other environmental impacts your entertainment plans have created. :animwink:
Clearly these are people who live within walking distance of WDW, and are wearing all-hemp clothing.

And probably not wearing deodorant because it's bad for the environment as well.

erasure fan1

Here's the thing. If TDO had a plan for a huge E-Ticket that fit into either TL or FL, and the budget for it...then we could worry about whether the speedway is "in the way".

Currently though, I don't think there's anything out there which is expected to overtake the speedway.

Having said that, I've mentioned before that the speedway could really use an upgrade, it's been nearly the same since MK opened.

Good point.

If they decided that they would put a Tron light cycle ride in its place I wouldnt mind at all. If they just decided to upgrade and refurbish it a bit so its not so stinky and loud, I wouldnt mind that either. Of course I would prefer the first, light cycles would fit the future world theme a lot better. :D

My biggest fear for the speedway is that someone decides to shut it down before there is something to replace it and the lot sits for 10yrs like 20K. It doesnt seem to lack capacity and has no ADA problems Im aware of, so I dont see that happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom